Marriott Travel Packages

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Slickw
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART


Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
************
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Aug 18, 18, 5:08 pm
  #5626  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CVG
Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Posts: 1,407
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Who is this happy lady?

She booked a cat 7, 9, and T5!
SP03 likes this.
sam_goh is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 5:15 pm
  #5627  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 172
Well, I am one of the victims who upgraded to old Cat 8 hoping to get new Cat 6. I blame Marriott as most of you do...

Now let's just look back all these bloggers, I think the closest guess would be Greg @ FM. One of his estimation based on "PEAK VALUE" is almost correct, except for Old Cat 8.

Combining the fact we know today, I think the Marriott's argument would be that the new 7N TP Cert is wholly established on "PEAK VALUE" concept. That means the new TP only cares about Category # (meaning you can redeem TP regardless of Peak season or not. This is in contrast to Single Night FN which only cares about "up to certain amount of points")

With this in mind, look at the cut off lines here - none of the conversion will exceed the PEAK SEASON value. That's what they called "similar value". None of us would be sad if we were aware of the methodology, and I know Marriott is facing a big PR issues right now.

tonywush is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 5:16 pm
  #5628  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: PBI
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
Posts: 25
Marriott Travel Package Arbitrage

Greg nailed it, even worst-case scenario. This is the sole reason I booked a cat 9. New cat 6 gives many nice flexible options without a need to rush and book now. In the meantime, my old cat 9 certificate is tied to a property that just went up to 60k per night that I would be happy to stay at. Bases were covered.

Some folks got greedy, but I wanted the closest thing to a “sure win”. I can understand being annoyed with old cat 6 and 8 losing 30k and the peak redemption value assignment. Not the same with Tier 1-3, as 50k points is the same for old Tier 1-3 and new category 6.

I'll never understand why people gamble that can't afford to lose or can't grasp that concept that they may lose. Enormous heads up time to book and attach, clearly stated that terms wouldn't be released until merger. Still people think they have a right to always win.

Here's some tips: 1) Life is not fair. 2) Fair is not equal. 3) Don't play the game unless you're willing to lose; because you're not always going to win in life, sports, gambling, or Marriott travel packages.



Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
As someone who is not afraid to admit it. You are right that I was wrong about a certificate conversion. However, you also confirmed for me that an old Category 9 will not be a New Category 7. Thank you. 5 out of six predictions isn't too bad.

I don't understand why some people are upset. If you can't afford to loose on a gamble, you shouldn't have gambled at all. The value is similar, expecting anything more is reckless. Had you attached your certificate you would have been able to request a refund of points where your reservation now requires fewer. People were encouraged to "atrach" their certificates in the old program for maximum benefit. If you didn't, should you expect maximum benefit?

Whatever you are feeling today, self inflicted or not, at least you have a whole month to look over the properties and choose that perfect vacation spot. Tier 4-5, enjoy your Bora Bora or Maldives stay. There won't be a lot of competition from the irrational thinkers, just as I had predicted.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

James
SP03 and mk712 like this.
JustinTJ is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 5:19 pm
  #5629  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by shafi248 View Post
Any news on what will be happening to attached certificates if you want to detach them? Same treatment as above or are they receiving different treatment?
That's what I want to know too.
0limits is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 5:22 pm
  #5630  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by JustinTJ View Post
Marriott Travel Package Arbitrage

Greg nailed it, even worst-case scenario. This is the sole reason I booked a cat 9. New cat 6 gives many nice flexible options without a need to rush and book now. In the meantime, my old cat 9 certificate is tied to a property that just went up to 60k per night that I would be happy to stay at. Bases were covered.

Some folks got greedy, but I wanted the closest thing to a “sure win”. I can understand being annoyed with old cat 6 and 8 losing 30k and the peak redemption value assignment. Not the same with Tier 1-3, as 50k points is the same for old Tier 1-3 and new category 6.

I'll never understand why people gamble that can't afford to lose or can't grasp that concept that they may lose. Enormous heads up time to book and attach, clearly stated that terms wouldn't be released until merger. Still people think they have a right to always win.

Here's some tips: 1) Life is not fair. 2) Fair is not equal. 3) Don't play the game unless you're willing to lose; because you're not always going to win in life, sports, gambling, or Marriott travel packages.
Says the guy who won! Self-righteous posts like these after you "lucked" into a good situation aren't useful.
PumpkinSmasher is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 5:28 pm
  #5631  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: PBI
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher View Post
Says the guy who won! Self-righteous posts like these after you "lucked" into a good situation aren't useful.
Sorry dude, but if you're going to take risks, it's best that they're calculated ones. We all had the same information to work with.

I'm also sorry if you lost 30k MR, or got stuck in a category that is not what you desired, or didn't attach to a reservation you'd be happy to stay in as Marriott suggested.

Hopefully they make you "whole".
JustinTJ is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 5:37 pm
  #5632  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MCO, YEG
Programs: HH Diamond,, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 991
Originally Posted by JustinTJ View Post
Sorry dude, but if you're going to take risks, it's best that they're calculated ones. We all had the same information to work with.
No, actually, we didn’t all have the same information. Marriott has all the information and chose not to share it with us.
farnorthtrader is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 5:38 pm
  #5633  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YVR to SEA
Posts: 2,272
The biggest complaint is people spending 30k points more than needed. So 80 percent of the complaints can resolved by returning 30k points to anybody who holds cat 6, 8 or tier 3? Hopefully that's what they do
Happy, imverge, IDM79 and 1 others like this.
crimsona is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 5:50 pm
  #5634  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 247
I bought two category 1-5 packages and have them attached to actual stays. I would have loved if these converted to equivalent points based on what the SPG lurker first stated, but I got exactly what I paid for so there is no complaint there. However, the lack of transparency, communication, and false information from Marriott and it's representatives on these travel packages that has dragged on for months has been frustrating and disappointing. All the speculation and confusion and now anger could have been easily prevented if Marriott just communicated honestly about the changes before it was too late for people to make changes. Seeing as how they weren't generous, I don't know why they didn't just publish the chart in advance when they announced the rest of the changes. I think it's terrible to allow people to pay more for travel packages then they had to and I don't believe they just screwed over people trying to "game" the system but loyal customers who were just trying to plan a vacation and didn't have travel plans confirmed yet or might have wanted to stay at an SPG property.
imverge likes this.
AICML is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 6:04 pm
  #5635  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: PBI
Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by AICML View Post
I bought two category 1-5 packages and have them attached to actual stays. I would have loved if these converted to equivalent points based on what the SPG lurker first stated, but I got exactly what I paid for so there is no complaint there. However, the lack of transparency, communication, and false information from Marriott and it's representatives on these travel packages that has dragged on for months has been frustrating and disappointing. All the speculation and confusion and now anger could have been easily prevented if Marriott just communicated honestly about the changes before it was too late for people to make changes. Seeing as how they weren't generous, I don't know why they didn't just publish the chart in advance when they announced the rest of the changes. I think it's terrible to allow people to pay more for travel packages then they had to and I don't believe they just screwed over people trying to "game" the system but loyal customers who were just trying to plan a vacation and didn't have travel plans confirmed yet or might have wanted to stay at an SPG property.
This is 100% valid, a big problem was blog hype train that likely got many people to buy them for the airline miles hoping for a windfall without a plan on how to use the actual hotel stay. Whipped a lot of people into a frenzy and now the party's over.

I've read every page of this thread, usually right before bed each night. A lot of people, even on here, were buying things they didn't need or understand because they were told they should.

That's why I gave Greg a kudos in my post above.
SP03 likes this.
JustinTJ is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 6:08 pm
  #5636  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 20,274
Originally Posted by hearingdouble View Post
That'll just make you angrier... the accompanying text makes clear that the new Certificates are Category based, not points based. I.e. if you have a new Cat 4 certificate then you can use it for a new Cat 4 at any time (off peak/standard/peak) but not for a Cat 5. That's why the accompanying "max points value" in the table is rather misleading.

Overall, this is not what I predicted/expected and I think Marriott have scored an own goal here. I actually think that the mappings are not wholly unreasonable (or at least, within the realm of fairness) but what completely flummoxes me is the treatment of Cat 6, Cat 8 and Tier 1-3 certificate holders. I have no skin in that particular game but it's pretty underhand unless they're planning 30k point rebates.
Well F that then, I want my 30k back, and will happily find a cat 1-4.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 6:11 pm
  #5637  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: PHL
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hyatt EXP, UA Silver
Posts: 498
Originally Posted by JustinTJ View Post
This is 100% valid, a big problem was blog hype train that likely got many people to buy them for the airline miles hoping for a windfall without a plan on how to use the actual hotel stay. Whipped a lot of people into a frenzy and now the party's over.

I've read every page of this thread, usually right before bed each night. A lot of people, even on here, were buying things they didn't need or understand because they were told they should.

That's why I gave Greg a kudos in my post above.
Totally agree about the blog frenzy. I was so tempted to get one after reading through all the blogs. Ultimately decided against it because I have plenty of miles and would rather have the points to book hotels in the combined program. Maybe I could’ve made out big with the Cat 9 certs. But i wouldn’t have known and prob wouldn’t ended up with 7 nights in Cat 1-4 that I don’t really want to stay at. So in the end, I didn’t gamble so no win here. Or loss.

But I don’t really understand the anger. People here decided to take on the gamble knowing that it’s completrly up to Marriott to map these categories. Marriott never promised to make these certs MORE valuable after the transition. Having been on the mileage train for years, I expect devaluation over time and with each transition.
JustinTJ likes this.
SP03 is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 6:14 pm
  #5638  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 1,676
Ritz Carlton credit card holders all get upgraded to from Gold to Marriott Platinum....
RedSun is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 6:38 pm
  #5639  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Arcadia, CA
Programs: Marriott LTPP/Hilton Diamond
Posts: 737
This all could have been avoided if they had just published the information that they already had in their pocket. Now they have tons of angry customers because they thought withholding information was the right way to go. What kind of morons ever thought this was a good idea? "Let's make sure our best customers who are obviously loyal to the brand due to their large point balances have no way to anticipate it when we pull the rug out..."
uncommonsensical and tbm13 like this.
chongl is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 6:42 pm
  #5640  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by chongl View Post
This all could have been avoided if they had just published the information that they already had in their pocket. Now they have tons of angry customers because they thought withholding information was the right way to go. What kind of morons ever thought this was a good idea? "Let's make sure our best customers who are obviously loyal to the brand due to their large point balances have no way to anticipate it when we pull the rug out..."
Either they are extremly stupid or deliberately set out to screw over their best, most loyal customers. Either way, unless they backtrack fast on this I'm done with Marriott.
tbm13 and applesauce like this.
mr_moon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread