Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:25 pm

Marriott is really risking a lot of brand loyalty with decisions like this. I would hope Marriott decides to refund the 30k points on the Cat6 and Cat8 packages.

While the conversion itself seems fair, it means anyone who's booked a Cat6 or cat8 package paid 30k more than they would have had Marriott not withheld this information until after everything was frozen. This shows a lot of disrespect to loyal customers who built up significant amounts of points through stays. And as you point out, 30% of properties are getting more expensive.
GUWonder, Happy, imverge and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:26 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
Several of us tried to attach a cert to a property requires higher level without success.

There are several posters on this thread are in that situation. whether you attach the cert or not, if it is a Cat 6, you are screwed because now you would not even get a refund EVEN IF you have attached it, due to the property is a Cat 1 to 4, and the Cat 6 is now also a Cat 1 to 4!

Again, whether you attached the cert or not, if yours is a Cat 6, you are screwed!
Except if you had attached your Cat-6 to a property which going up in value and you intend to stay. There are many properties that go up from old Cat-6 to new Cat-5, 35k.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingMoonwards
Agree, this is scummy from Marriott. A core feature of the certificates was the flexibility to use them on a higher category booking later.
In the now defunct MR program it did. New T&C apply now.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:30 pm

This is a disgrace, do you think after all the backlash marriott will reconsider.

If marriott sticks to this I will do everything in my power to avoid all marriott properties going forward.

Between the outright lies about the suite upgrades to this bait and switch, I really hope they get crushed in earning this upcoming year. The choices we make with our wallets are the best way to show them.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSun
Except if you had attached your Cat-6 to a property which going up in value and you intend to stay. There are many properties that go up from old Cat-6 to new Cat-5, 35k.
Here is the problem - a property you would intend to stay. None of those goes up to 35K or even higher is the property at where I would intend to go. just sayin.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I agree that

a) announcing this literally the day where it's impossible to do anything about it after having been in the works for so long is a rather scummy move
b) those who "overpaid" should get the differences refunded

but... c'mon, this kind of "value matching" was ALWAYS the most likely outcome. "disgrace" is WAY of an overstatement for what happened here. Marriott matched the values, in some cases even INCREASING the value of the already-very-generous certificates. There's really no reason to complain here.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Lizie
Not fair RedSun, those in the military or associated services can't pick and choose so readily that far in advance.
Marriott was basically forcing us to make travel plans within one month for certificates that are valid for a year
Lizie likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I don't see this as a net negative for Cat 1-5 (my situation). I also think the UA points were extremely generous (essentially 1:1).

As I had no booking ready, this is not a killer loss for me. Now, wait until I try to book something that I was used to seeing as a Cat 5.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
I don't see this as a net negative for Cat 1-5 (my situation). I also think the UA points were extremely generous (essentially 1:1).

As I had no booking ready, this is not a killer loss for me. Now, wait until I try to book something that I was used to seeing as a Cat 5.
Of course it not a net negative for you, everyone knew 1-5 would become 1-4.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Well, I'm glad I had already used my Cat 6 upgraded to Cat 8 certificate and just used it last month

What a clusterfark... though technically this was a possible scenario that people had been worried about.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
but... c'mon, this kind of "value matching" was ALWAYS the most likely outcome. "disgrace" is WAY of an overstatement for what happened here.
If they had announced it prior to today, I think everyone would agree. That they withheld their decision cost many people 30k points for each package purchased. They had better offer some compensation or a lot of brand loyal people are going to be looking elsewhere. TPs aren't cheap and those who accumulated that many points (besides perhaps MSers) won't forget that.
Jennlynd likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:47 pm

The idea that they did the conversion based on the Peak cost of the rooms even though these will not take effect till early 2019 and most certificates will either be expired by then or only have a few months left is just so so scummy.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: nothing but freebies
Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members,

For members with existing Travel Packages (booked prior to today and not yet attached to a reservation), today we are able to share how they will convert within the newly unified program. Please see the full chart below.

No existing Travel Package certificate is losing value in terms of points and, with the new Free Night Award Chart that goes live today, 70% of our hotels either stayed at the same redemption rate threshold or moved down. As we structured the conversion chart, we considered the introduction of peak and off-peak redemption rates, which will be introduced in early 2019. This means that if you have an existing Category 9 certificate, which converts to Category 6 starting today, holders will still be able to attach the certificate to a stay when redemption rates within that category are at their highest.

Please let us know if you have any questions and we’ll do our best to answer.

Marriott Rewards Insider
"No existing Travel Package certificate is losing value in terms of points"
Hah! This is totally untrue. Peak/off-peak award does not even exist until 2019, as mentioned in Marriott website.
Old Cat 6 value is now 25K, not 30K. Old Cat 8 is now 35K, not 40K.
applesauce likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by applesauce
If they had announced it prior to today, I think everyone would agree. That they withheld their decision cost many people 30k points for each package purchased. They had better offer some compensation or a lot of brand loyal people are going to be looking elsewhere. TPs aren't cheap and those who accumulated that many points (besides perhaps MSers) won't forget that.
That's why I mentioned a&b as caveats that leave a sour taste. I'm not personally affected by the "overpayment", but I understand why those that overpaid are upset. 30k is a reasonable amount to worry about and I hope that people get that refunded, since it's essentially a "waste" otherwise. But I wouldn't call for pitchforks 14 hours into August 18, Marriott has basically a month to make this right since nobody can touch TP's for a month now anyway.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
That's why I mentioned a&b as caveats that leave a sour taste. I'm not personally affected by the "overpayment", but I understand why those that overpaid are upset. 30k is a reasonable amount to worry about and I hope that people get that refunded, since it's essentially a "waste" otherwise. But I wouldn't call for pitchforks 14 hours into August 18, Marriott has basically a month to make this right since nobody can touch TP's for a month now anyway.
I agree with that, actually. But I wonder what marketing genius thought it made sense to announced this conversion without addressing your a&b, or at least saying what the "reduced" surrender value of these certificates is going to be. They had to know this was going to cause people to be upset. Letting them stew for a month doesn't seem like the best idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.