Marriott Travel Packages

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Slickw
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART


Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
************
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

 
Old Aug 17, 18, 6:32 pm
  #5461  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: At an airport-on a cruise ship
Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Posts: 4,245
Its not as if this problem will go in in perpetuity, The certificates purchased today expire in one year. Marriott does not have to extend them, They could, and I think should, be fair and possibly generous with the “mapping” or TP value. Yes, they will take a hit short term, possibly. Then again there were so many “gamers” out there that had no intention of staying in hotel that there could be a lot of breakage that would not be to the detriment of Marriott. Just take a look at some of the blogs and you see lots of people saying they never intended to use the certificate and all the bloggers said they would likely get a windfall so they went all in. Now they are posting asking what to do.

I for one cannot wait until the suspense is over and we know what is going to happen.
dsquared37 likes this.
cruisr is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 6:44 pm
  #5462  
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 3,428
I think the sensible way to handle the legacy TPs is to keep the TPs in face value. If they are attached, then get whatever value you deserve. For un-attached, Cat 1-5 TPs should retain 25,000 MRs/night value. Cat-8 retains 40,000 MRs/night value. We can downgrade or upgrade from the base value. If you want to upgrade the 25,000/night TP to new Cat-7 at 60,000/night, you'll need 35,000/night more points. The TPs retain the original expiration dates. After 9/18, we can use those TPs to book all Marriott/SPG properties.

This way, everyone is kept whole. And Marriott would not need to deal with any mapping to new categories. We'll see what happens. Marriott has a month to figure this out.
RedSun is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:20 pm
  #5463  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: bay area, ca
Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Posts: 3,449
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
This way, everyone is kept whole. And Marriott would not need to deal with any mapping to new categories. We'll see what happens. Marriott has a month to figure this out.
No Marriott's had years to figure this out - the merger didn't just happen this month - but it seems to have not been a concern for them
estnet is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:42 pm
  #5464  
ffI
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WAS
Programs: AA EXP2MM, DL DM, UA PP <=> HH DM/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P/ CC G, FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Posts: 3,874
Go with Cat 6 - more possibilities - downside only 30k MR = 10k SPG;
The downside on other option is no use at all - 150k MR lost

Originally Posted by milehighmike View Post
I have a dilemma, I have 300k points, enough for either a cat 1-5 120k miles or a cat 6 120k miles. I value the airline miles more then a higher category hotel.
Do I go with the cat 1-5 and save the extra points for something else, knowing that I have more flexibility regarding hotels to choose from, or do I go with cat 6 seeing as the value of this category could go up post merger, albeit at the risk of less availability?
I have until t-minus 1 hour until midnight GMT to decide!
Many thanks in advance
ffI is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:43 pm
  #5465  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 4,284
Originally Posted by kenban View Post
My guess is certificates just become 7 night certificates worth x point a night. It is the cleanest and likely easiest approach. Do not even attempt to do any category mapping. A cat 1-5 certificate becomes 7 nights at 25k points a night, cat 6 is 30k etc. Any upgrades and downgrades just continue to be 30k points per a step the same as it is right now and they handle any mismatches at the time of booking.
Almost there! Except the new chart will go into effect on August 18th and the steps between the new catagories are not consistent, but rightly so as the value of the properties, in points, is commensurate to the respective new category steps.

We know that certificates will not be converted to points, as I predicted, so worth and value of the certificate is moot in this regard. However, we have been advised that after the dormancy, which I predicted, you can still surrender the certificate for a "reduced amount" which also clearly establishes that Marriott had no intention of being "generous" and returning full points unrestricted, as I predicted.

Based on a, "worth" of 45K + 30K for each old category upgrade. I would estimate this is what the surrender points will be, possibly a few more in good faith but considering New TPs may have no residual "worth," that may be unlikely too.

I believe that Marriott still has not finalized how they will handle the unattached certificates and are not withholding information nefariously. The chatter was growing with respect to TP's and starting to get a little noisy. Since TPs are pretty low on their priority list and head of loyalty said prior that cancelling all unattached certificates was a real possibility, it made sense to advise they can be attached, will get similar value, can be surrendered for reduced points, and will be subject to the new chart and then let them go dormant while more pressing issues are dealt with.

Old Category number will NOT map to New Category number as they are not similar in value, again as I predicted. I doubt there will even be a conversion with the certificate laying dormant until the holder calls in to attach it. At that point you will select a hotel based on the point value of your certificate with no upgraded or downgrades permitted. An old Category 1-5 will be a New Cat 1-4, Old 7, New 5, for 6, 8, 9 an easy alignment could be as follows keeping in mind the new charts:

Old Cat 6: New Cat 4, refund 30K or New Cat 5 +30K additional
Old Cat 8: New Cat 5, refund 30K or New Cat 6 +60K
additional
Old Cat 9, New Cat 5, refund 60K or New Cat 6 +30K additional.

If you want 7 nights in a New Category 7 your unattached certificate will need to have a value of 360K.

James

Everyone Happy, I know I am! Cheers.

Edit: Inadvertently specified 300K for Cat 7, should be 360K

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Aug 17, 18 at 7:56 pm
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:48 pm
  #5466  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 421
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Almost there! Except the new chart will go into effect on August 18th and the steps between the new catagories are not consistent, but rightly so as the value of the properties, in points, is commensurate to the respective new category steps.

We know that certificates will not be converted to points, as I predicted, so worth and value of the certificate is moot in this regard. However, we have been advised that after the dormancy, which I predicted, you can still surrender the certificate for a "reduced amount" which also clearly establishes that Marriott had no intention of being "generous" and returning full points unrestricted, as I predicted.

Based on a, "worth" of 45K + 30K for each old category upgrade. I would estimate this is what the surrender points will be, possibly a few more in good faith but considering New TPs may have no residual "worth," that may be unlikely too.

I believe that Marriott still has not finalized how they will handle the unattached certificates and are not withholding information nefariously. The chatter was growing with respect to TP's and starting to get a little noisy. Since TPs are pretty low on their priority list and head of loyalty said prior that cancelling all unattached certificates was a real possibility, it made sense to advise they can be attached, will get similar value, can be surrendered for reduced points, and will be subject to the new chart and then let them go dormant while more pressing issues are dealt with.

Old Category number will NOT map to New Category number as they are not similar in value, again as I predicted. I doubt there will even be a conversion with the certificate laying dormant until the holder calls in to attach it. At that point you will select a hotel based on the point value of your certificate with no upgraded or downgrades permitted. An old Category 1-5 will be a New Cat 1-4, Old 7, New 5, for 6, 8, 9 an easy alignment could be as follows keeping in mind the new charts:

Old Cat 6: New Cat 4, refund 30K or New Cat 5 +30K additional
Old Cat 8: New Cat 5, refund 30K or New Cat 6 +60K
additional
Old Cat 9, New Cat 5, refund 60K or New Cat 6 +30K additional.

If you want 7 nights in a New Category 7 your unattached certificate will need to have a value of 300K.

James

Everyone Happy, I know I am! Cheers.
If it is that simple, why did Marriott announce it a long long long time ago???
jrey is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:55 pm
  #5467  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: body: A stone's throw from SFO, mind: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 16,815
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
I think the sensible way to handle the legacy TPs is to keep the TPs in face value. If they are attached, then get whatever value you deserve. For un-attached, Cat 1-5 TPs should retain 25,000 MRs/night value. Cat-8 retains 40,000 MRs/night value. We can downgrade or upgrade from the base value. If you want to upgrade the 25,000/night TP to new Cat-7 at 60,000/night, you'll need 35,000/night more points. The TPs retain the original expiration dates. After 9/18, we can use those TPs to book all Marriott/SPG properties.

This way, everyone is kept whole. And Marriott would not need to deal with any mapping to new categories. We'll see what happens. Marriott has a month to figure this out.
Nope, there is no modification of TPs after 8/18. See below.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker IV View Post
...
After 8/18, certificates cannot be upgraded or downgraded, regardless of when they were purchased.
...

Kind regards,

Alexandra Baker
Specialist, Social Media
Starwood Hotels and Resorts
[MINE]
dsquared37 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 7:58 pm
  #5468  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 511
I really think--hope--the no upgrade/downgrade either a misunderstanding or they'll fold on it. I just today had a CSR swearing up and down I could upgrade my certificate as of 9/19.
RedSun likes this.
OssianBlue is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 8:01 pm
  #5469  
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 3,428
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
Nope, there is no modification of TPs after 8/18. See below.
[MINE]
The SPG Lurker just relays what she was told. That is not official or final. Not sure if Marriott has decided yet. I do not trust anything we hear....
RedSun is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 8:01 pm
  #5470  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 421
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
Nope, there is no modification of TPs after 8/18. See below.



[MINE]
They have never been upgradable or downgradable anyway. If they had to do it, they would cancel and reissue a new one.
jrey is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 8:07 pm
  #5471  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: body: A stone's throw from SFO, mind: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 16,815
Originally Posted by jrey View Post
They have never been upgradable or downgradable anyway. If they had to do it, they would cancel and reissue a new one.
The act itself is an upgrade/downgrade. You're presenting a difference without a distinction.
dsquared37 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 8:09 pm
  #5472  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: body: A stone's throw from SFO, mind: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 16,815
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
The SPG Lurker just relays what she was told. That is not official or final. Not sure if Marriott has decided yet. I do not trust anything we hear....
Not final, I can agree with that. Not official? Yeah, good luck with that.
dsquared37 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 8:10 pm
  #5473  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 421
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
The act itself is an upgrade/downgrade. You're presenting a difference without a distinction.
I presented it from my experience. When I asked them to upgrade, they said no they couldn't do. They could however cancel and reissue.

So that could be the wording they passed on to the lurker.
entrada likes this.
jrey is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 8:13 pm
  #5474  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,407
Originally Posted by estnet View Post
No Marriott's had years to figure this out - the merger didn't just happen this month - but it seems to have not been a concern for them
Their concern is the whole IT set-up blowing up and people being unable to book hotels for cash, reservations disappearing, points balances going crazy, etc.

A few thousand people who had every opportunity to use their certificates but weren't in a hurry... low priority.
Flying for Fun likes this.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Aug 17, 18, 8:24 pm
  #5475  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: body: A stone's throw from SFO, mind: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 16,815
Originally Posted by jrey View Post

I presented it from my experience. When I asked them to upgrade, they said no they couldn't do. They could however cancel and reissue.

So that could be the wording they passed on to the lurker.
:facepalm:

_____________________________

It's absolutely astounding that individuals, who would otherwise be patently aware that an agent's knowledge is in most cases less than a FTers', are accepting and posting what random agents are saying about the coming transition. In some cases even trusting random agents to a Lurker who is presenting information that has been precleared by the MR team in charge. Do I believe that all pronouncements are the final word or that the purported T&Cs are final... hopefully not. But to go around and claiming they are wrong because of gut feelings and beliefs etc is madness.

There is so little rationale for all the kvetching and griping and demanding in here it's absurd. It reminds me of children in an elementary playground making up rules for a game.

Good luck to all, see you on the other side.
Flying for Fun likes this.
dsquared37 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: