Marriott Travel Packages

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Slickw
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART


Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
************
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

 

Old Aug 16, 18, 5:05 pm
  #5371  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Posts: 518
Originally Posted by wise2u View Post
and now for the latest MR agent confusion...I have a MR agent talking with supervisor about the in house memos and Q&A's...take this for what you want, but she tells me that I should just keep my cat6 instead of upgrading, because post merger cat 6 will be bookable with current cat 6 certs.....after 30 minutes of chatting, researching, talking with supervisor she still interpreted it that way. I said if i had something in writing from a company rep that i could make a case with, in case that was not the case, and I should have upgraded to cat 8...she tried to find one. a supervisor helped her find something that according to her had the same gist, just not the exact verbage to confirm...and that supervisor said it was for in house agent help and not for public release....this would be a very generous solution from MR, but I'm thinking in my head why the 1 month delay...I said I felt safer to upgrade to a lvl 8 in case it took that to get the stay at the lvl8 hotels that will drop to lvl6 post merger, she said I could book the new cat 6 hotel with my lvl 8 cert but would not get refunded any points (so no downgrades)...so she was trying to save me some points..I used my last 540K to get 2 low end pkgs and stock up on airmiles,...which is the real value for the packages (even after southwest stopped allowing them for CP)....I doubt she had all the info, probably misinterpreted some of what she did have, but if by any chance she is right, everyone but the top tier cert holders that have to scramble for the limited availability post 9/18, should be very happy.
While I’d be hugely surprised, for what it’s worth, I was told similar thing yesterday.
Rusdude is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 5:07 pm
  #5372  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,567
4 different agents told me how the travel package certificates will convert post merger in 4 different ways.
This means one thing: agents don't have accurate info on what's going to happen post merger, and are just speaking out what they think will happen.
No one should take whatever they hear over the phone as official factual info.
cruisr likes this.
agjil is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 5:39 pm
  #5373  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,172
re

I agree agents can be way off and anything from most of them should be taken with a bag of salt...that said, i listened while she read out loud some of the help topics that they are training on for post merger, she got to the one about travel packages and searched the info she had. It sounded better than "i'm pretty sure this is what will happen, or I think this will happen...I didnt want vague assurances so I told her the info we were sent and some of the speculation about the TP's, so she was looking for new policy info specific to using unattached certificates that she could copy and send me......being the cynical pessimist I am, I know nothing is for sure, until the post merger company e-mail goes out to members with official policy...but I love being pleasantly surprised, so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope she is right....at least the speculation will be over soon....unless they wait until near sept 18th to tell us the details.....lol

Last edited by wise2u; Aug 16, 18 at 5:40 pm Reason: sp
wise2u is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 5:53 pm
  #5374  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,350
Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA View Post

35.32 USD Taxes and fees

360,000

Points
  • 1 room(s) for 7 nights

    Prices in USD
  • [TRAVEL DATE 1], 2019
    • 40,000 points
  • ...
    • 40,000 points
  • [TRAVEL DATE 7], 2019
    • 40,000 points
  • Total points rate
    360,000
  • Resort Fee
    245.00
  • Estimated government taxes and fees
    35.32
  • Total for stay in hotel's currency
    280.32 + 360,000 points

Total for Stay

(All rooms) in local currency

280.32 USD 360,000 Points

Summary of Charges(all rooms)

Subtotal

360,000 Points

Then it stated my remaining points. Nowhere on the online reservation does it say the value of my certificate, only that I have one. Also, the points rate per night for the hotel clearly equals 240,000 but it is showing the total as 360,000 points, which is the total amount of the certificate. It also doesn't show that those points have already been deducted from my account. Since this is the first TP cert I've purchased, is that normal? It seems unnecessarily confusing, especially given what the previous poster said regarding his or her cert.

I did ask a rep if it was attached properly, and she said it was showing up correctly on her end. But with the misinformation we've been getting, I don't trust Marriott CSRs right now.
Originally Posted by bryan995 View Post
Just called in.
The rep confirmed that the certificate was NOT attached. The rep from the other day just booked through points instead of using my certificate. Since I only have a balance of 120k, and did not have enough to cover the point-only booking price of 240k, nothing was deducted hence the message that I owned points blah blah.

Now that she has fixed it, my reservation shows as:This reservation has e-certificate(s).

Your Reward certificates will be sent to your hotel.

Thanks all - glad I double checked this before the big day.

The price now shows as 280.32 USD 360,000 Points, which is what I paid for my cat 8 TP (360k).
Not really.

For a Cat-8 TP, the miles portion is 225,000 MRs. The hotel portion is 135,000 MRs. The hotel portion should not show 360k MRs. Without TP, the total MRs required are 240,000 MRs. 360,000 should never shown there.

Here is my Cat-9 reservation. Clearly showing 165,000 hotel portion.


Next is my Cat-6 reservation. I'm short 10,000 MR/night for this reservation. But it clearly shows the Cat-6 hotel TP which has a 75,000 MRs.



Is this a new data point??

Last edited by RedSun; Aug 16, 18 at 5:59 pm
RedSun is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 6:08 pm
  #5375  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: Marriott
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by wise2u View Post
I agree agents can be way off and anything from most of them should be taken with a bag of salt...that said, i listened while she read out loud some of the help topics that they are training on for post merger, she got to the one about travel packages and searched the info she had. It sounded better than "i'm pretty sure this is what will happen, or I think this will happen...I didnt want vague assurances so I told her the info we were sent and some of the speculation about the TP's, so she was looking for new policy info specific to using unattached certificates that she could copy and send me......being the cynical pessimist I am, I know nothing is for sure, until the post merger company e-mail goes out to members with official policy...but I love being pleasantly surprised, so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope she is right....at least the speculation will be over soon....unless they wait until near sept 18th to tell us the details.....lol
I'm not getting my hopes up. It seems WAY too good to be true (not to mention the exact opposite of pretty much every interview that Marriott execs have given on the subject) that they'd just map category to category like that...but if it happens, that would explain the "no adjustment" news that came yesterday. Few, if anyone would need an upgrade, since they'd already essentially be getting a better value than the one they purchased, and I doubt people would gripe about not being able to downgrade if their certs were bumped up so generously that they could use it not only on the hotels they originally planned to, but hotels one level higher as well. I initially thought the only people who might be upset would be Ritz Cat 4-5 people, but I highly doubt many of those certs are outstanding, and even if they are, those members would still be saving 200k points off the new package cost and getting an additional 20,000-32,000 air miles for it. For comparison sake, if a new Cat 8 peak hotel alone runs 510,000 for seven nights (with fifth night free), then Ritz 4-5 cert holders would be getting their air miles for only 30,000 Marriott points in given a new Cat 8 cert. I don't think they'd be unhappy about that. That's a better deal than they initially bought in for. If Marriott is going for the least drama and the easiest IT solution, that might be it--albeit a potentially costly one (although we have no idea how many legacy certs are even out there--it may be a very small number).

But again, going that route means Marriott is basically eating the airline mile cost for all legacy travel packages, and I highly doubt that they will be so generous. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong there.
RedSun likes this.
FrustratedinCA is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 6:25 pm
  #5376  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Not really.

For a Cat-8 TP, the miles portion is 225,000 MRs. The hotel portion is 135,000 MRs. The hotel portion should not show 360k MRs. Without TP, the total MRs required are 240,000 MRs. 360,000 should never shown there.

Here is my Cat-9 reservation. Clearly showing 165,000 hotel portion.


Next is my Cat-6 reservation. I'm short 10,000 MR/night for this reservation. But it clearly shows the Cat-6 hotel TP which has a 75,000 MRs.



Is this a new data point??
so you can book cat 8 hotel with cat 6 certificate? do you need to pay additional 60k points?
JOJOZHAOZHAO is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 6:33 pm
  #5377  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,350
Originally Posted by JOJOZHAOZHAO View Post
so you can book cat 8 hotel with cat 6 certificate? do you need to pay additional 60k points?
I need to pay 10,000 MR/night more to complete the booking. Or I can see what happens with the TP after 9/18.
RedSun is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 6:36 pm
  #5378  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,350
Originally Posted by wise2u View Post
and now for the latest MR agent confusion...I have a MR agent talking with supervisor about the in house memos and Q&A's...take this for what you want, but she tells me that I should just keep my cat6 instead of upgrading, because post merger cat 6 will be bookable with current cat 6 certs.....after 30 minutes of chatting, researching, talking with supervisor she still interpreted it that way. I said if i had something in writing from a company rep that i could make a case with, in case that was not the case, and I should have upgraded to cat 8...she tried to find one. a supervisor helped her find something that according to her had the same gist, just not the exact verbage to confirm...and that supervisor said it was for in house agent help and not for public release....this would be a very generous solution from MR, but I'm thinking in my head why the 1 month delay...I said I felt safer to upgrade to a lvl 8 in case it took that to get the stay at the lvl8 hotels that will drop to lvl6 post merger, she said I could book the new cat 6 hotel with my lvl 8 cert but would not get refunded any points (so no downgrades)...so she was trying to save me some points..I used my last 540K to get 2 low end pkgs and stock up on airmiles,...which is the real value for the packages (even after southwest stopped allowing them for CP)....I doubt she had all the info, probably misinterpreted some of what she did have, but if by any chance she is right, everyone but the top tier cert holders that have to scramble for the limited availability post 9/18, should be very happy.
I hope I get to this CSR when I call them. This is close to impossible.
RedSun is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 6:38 pm
  #5379  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
I need to pay 10,000 MR/night more to complete the booking. Or I can see what happens with the TP after 9/18.
where does it mention that you're short of 10k/night. it looks like it only costs 75k.
JOJOZHAOZHAO is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 6:48 pm
  #5380  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Programs: Marriott/Starwood LPP+A, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Premier Silver
Posts: 687
So in all, I have purchased 4 TPs (which is a little ridiculous for me, but I am a sucker for the deal), and I have attached every one to a reservation . . .

And then tonight, I felt a little bit like a gambler and decided to purchase a cat 1-5 and leave it unattached. I called in and gave the agent my American mileage number, but at the last second, asked if it was too late to do United instead. She said it was not too late and so I provided my United number.

Now, I see in my account that one TP was ordered, then the hotel portion of it was credited back (45K), then another TP was ordered. So, basically, it now looks as if I have purchased TWO, but turned in the hotel portion of one. This is definitely not what I asked for.

I have been on the phone for awhile with another agent trying to rectify this, and she is on hold for a supervisor somewhere else who says that the people to fix this are not in until tomorrow.

Has anyone had this same experience and if so, any suggestion as to the best person to contact to fix this or the easiest way to go about reversing it? I am uncomfortable having now 540K (well, 495) removed from my account over this mistake.

Thanks.
sinfonia is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 7:05 pm
  #5381  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,350
Originally Posted by JOJOZHAOZHAO View Post
where does it mention that you're short of 10k/night. it looks like it only costs 75k.
75,000 is the hotel portion of the Cat-6 TP. The Cat-6 stay costs 30,000/night, and this property costs 40,000/night. You need to understand the difference of TP vs the redemptions with free points.
RedSun is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 7:05 pm
  #5382  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 382
Originally Posted by sinfonia View Post
So in all, I have purchased 4 TPs (which is a little ridiculous for me, but I am a sucker for the deal), and I have attached every one to a reservation . . .

And then tonight, I felt a little bit like a gambler and decided to purchase a cat 1-5 and leave it unattached. I called in and gave the agent my American mileage number, but at the last second, asked if it was too late to do United instead. She said it was not too late and so I provided my United number.

Now, I see in my account that one TP was ordered, then the hotel portion of it was credited back (45K), then another TP was ordered. So, basically, it now looks as if I have purchased TWO, but turned in the hotel portion of one. This is definitely not what I asked for.

I have been on the phone for awhile with another agent trying to rectify this, and she is on hold for a supervisor somewhere else who says that the people to fix this are not in until tomorrow.

Has anyone had this same experience and if so, any suggestion as to the best person to contact to fix this or the easiest way to go about reversing it? I am uncomfortable having now 540K (well, 495) removed from my account over this mistake.

Thanks.
This seems like an error. Many CSRs are not trained on TPs, so errors are somewhat common, even before the merger. Whatever solution Marriott comes up on 8/18 for the TPs, it'd better be simple, or else we could see error rates skyrocket.
tth6133 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 7:07 pm
  #5383  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,350
Originally Posted by sinfonia View Post
So in all, I have purchased 4 TPs (which is a little ridiculous for me, but I am a sucker for the deal), and I have attached every one to a reservation . . .

And then tonight, I felt a little bit like a gambler and decided to purchase a cat 1-5 and leave it unattached. I called in and gave the agent my American mileage number, but at the last second, asked if it was too late to do United instead. She said it was not too late and so I provided my United number.

Now, I see in my account that one TP was ordered, then the hotel portion of it was credited back (45K), then another TP was ordered. So, basically, it now looks as if I have purchased TWO, but turned in the hotel portion of one. This is definitely not what I asked for.

I have been on the phone for awhile with another agent trying to rectify this, and she is on hold for a supervisor somewhere else who says that the people to fix this are not in until tomorrow.

Has anyone had this same experience and if so, any suggestion as to the best person to contact to fix this or the easiest way to go about reversing it? I am uncomfortable having now 540K (well, 495) removed from my account over this mistake.

Thanks.
Amazing. How many MR points you still get?
RedSun is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 7:13 pm
  #5384  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 29
Here is exactly how my 7N TP shows. Cat 8, applied to the cat8 wailea beach resort in maui.


cat8 7N TP (maui wailea beach resort)
bryan995 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 7:25 pm
  #5385  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SJC/SFO
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by sinfonia View Post
So in all, I have purchased 4 TPs (which is a little ridiculous for me, but I am a sucker for the deal), and I have attached every one to a reservation . . .

And then tonight, I felt a little bit like a gambler and decided to purchase a cat 1-5 and leave it unattached. I called in and gave the agent my American mileage number, but at the last second, asked if it was too late to do United instead. She said it was not too late and so I provided my United number.

Now, I see in my account that one TP was ordered, then the hotel portion of it was credited back (45K), then another TP was ordered. So, basically, it now looks as if I have purchased TWO, but turned in the hotel portion of one. This is definitely not what I asked for.

I have been on the phone for awhile with another agent trying to rectify this, and she is on hold for a supervisor somewhere else who says that the people to fix this are not in until tomorrow.

Has anyone had this same experience and if so, any suggestion as to the best person to contact to fix this or the easiest way to go about reversing it? I am uncomfortable having now 540K (well, 495) removed from my account over this mistake.

Thanks.
Happend to me too. The agent booked the 50k miles one and tried to corrected it to 120k. End up with -230,000 +105,000 -300,000. (cat 6)
It's resolved after many calls. The supervisor said the agent didn't cancel the first one properly and gave my 125k back in a strange way:
06/06/2018 Bonus Reward Adjustment +75,000 Points
06/06/2018 Bonus Bonus For Mileage Exception +50,000 Points
khlay is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread