Marriott Travel Packages

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Slickw
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART


Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
************
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Aug 14, 18, 10:00 pm
  #5206  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: Marriott
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
Upgrade went through!
Now I want to attach it to a property. I thought I could do it online but I can’t figure out how. I tried to select to use rewards and figured I would see an option to use the cert, but I don’t.
You can make a 7 night award reservation online, and then call Marriott and have them attach your TP certificate to that previously-booked online reservation, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think you can attach the 7 night TP to a reservation without calling in.
FrustratedinCA is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 12:26 am
  #5207  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: May 1998
Posts: 6,394
Originally Posted by FrustratedinCA View Post
You can make a 7 night award reservation online, and then call Marriott and have them attach your TP certificate to that previously-booked online reservation, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think you can attach the 7 night TP to a reservation without calling in.
Correct (as I understand it). No way for the customer to attach TP certificates to a reservation on-line. You must call so they can do it at their end.
Counsellor is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 12:30 am
  #5208  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CLT
Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by davidsc111 View Post
Marriott did not tell me when I bought the TP (two weeks ago) that if I didn't use it by 8/18 the value would decrease ...and I asked. As with all changes I know some current cat 8 properties won't be available to me post 08/18 but doing a forced downgrade does not keep me whole. At a minimum cat 5 peak is 40k points...anything less than that and I'll be less than impressed. 105 nights so far this year with Marriott and long since LTP (soon to be LTPP).





If Marriott had stated that I would agree. What they have stated is that it will be one program and free night certs and points can be freely used at any property with standard availability at the per night value (tied to point value) of the cert. They did not say "except for you sucka's who have TP's"
Well they did clearly state that when the programs officially combine, travel packages will cost a different amount of points than they did before. So you are certainly free to use TP’s at SPG hotels post 8/18, but potentially for those higher than a new Cat 4 it could be at the new rates.

So if one is planning to book a (former) SPG hotel higher than a new Cat 4 with the legacy TP, sounds like they may be out of luck. But even upgrading at the new chart would still be better than buying a completely new TP at the new chart.

If one wants to get the full value of a higher Cat TP, attach it to a hotel now. Just like the Starwood Lurker suggested.


GoPhils is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 1:43 am
  #5209  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: Marriott
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post


Well they did clearly state that when the programs officially combine, travel packages will cost a different amount of points than they did before. So you are certainly free to use TP’s at SPG hotels post 8/18, but potentially for those higher than a new Cat 4 it could be at the new rates.

So if one is planning to book a (former) SPG hotel higher than a new Cat 4 with the legacy TP, sounds like they may be out of luck. But even upgrading at the new chart would still be better than buying a completely new TP at the new chart.

If one wants to get the full value of a higher Cat TP, attach it to a hotel now. Just like the Starwood Lurker suggested.


They did not release that information until July. Prior to that, Marriott Rewards reps only confirmed that the travel packages would continue to be offered but that they'd be moving to a more streamlined reward chart that included all airlines. Most people with TPs (not the last minute speculators, but those of us who already had them in our accounts) booked those TPs BEFORE that information was formally announced. We were given no notice as to what the changes would be, or how they would apply to our certs (and frankly, we still haven't received official word of what will happen to floaters). Many of us have been asking for that information repeatedly since April. One Marriott Insider escalated this question all the way to Mr. Marriott's office only to be told that they still did not know.

Bottom line, Marriott has been very cagey with their answers on the subject of travel packages since the merge was announced. You cannot claim that Marriott has done their due diligence when it comes to informing TP certificate holders. They haven't. Not at all.

We're days from the merge now and we only just were informed that:
1) Marriott is blocking our ability to change or attach certs between August 18th and September 18th, effectively locking us out from using it. (On a side note, I feel bad for those who were planning to use their certs during that window, or those whose certificates expire within that window and may not be following the merge news as closely as we are).
2) Marriott says the system will be down intermittently between August 15th and August 18th, so it's likely going to be tough to make changes now.
3) Marriott said we WILL be able to use our certs after September 18th, but has not given us any information as to what they will be valued at come September.
4) Marriott has made it clear that an official answer on a TP's post-September value won't be available to us until after August 18th.

So, effectively, we are not getting ANY notice or information that would allow us to make an informed decision as to how to use our certs, and by the time we find out, it will be too late to make any adjustments. That's a pretty bad way to handle a reward that, by sheer virtue of its cost in points, is held primarily by very loyal customers.
GUWonder likes this.
FrustratedinCA is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 2:38 am
  #5210  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 126
Hi,
I have a very basic question about Marriott Travel Packages but I haven't been able to find a precise answer. I am new to Marriott / SPG hotel loyalty programs so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

I wanted know whether, at present, it is possible to book a Starwood Hotel with a Travel Package or if this will only be possible after August 18th. I am aware about the ongoing big merger between Marriott and Starwood.

Also asking because I would like to book an SPG Category 7 Hotel and I am not sure whether I can use a Travel Package to book it now or need to wait til next week. Thanks.
Mister P. is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 3:08 am
  #5211  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 204
Originally Posted by Mister P. View Post
Hi,
I have a very basic question about Marriott Travel Packages but I haven't been able to find a precise answer. I am new to Marriott / SPG hotel loyalty programs so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

I wanted know whether, at present, it is possible to book a Starwood Hotel with a Travel Package or if this will only be possible after August 18th. I am aware about the ongoing big merger between Marriott and Starwood.

Also asking because I would like to book an SPG Category 7 Hotel and I am not sure whether I can use a Travel Package to book it now or need to wait til next week. Thanks.
No, it is not possible at present. Also, TP certificates cannot be attached from August 18 to September 18 and we don't know how unattached certificates will be classified in September.
CosmicGirl is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 3:11 am
  #5212  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 126
Ok, thanks!
Mister P. is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 5:59 am
  #5213  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 199
It was my understanding that a TP with UA miles receive 10% bonus miles. Miles posted this morning however bonus miles did not. Was wondering if bonus still applies?
doctor is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 6:01 am
  #5214  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WI
Programs: A bunch
Posts: 471
Originally Posted by doctor View Post
It was my understanding that a TP with UA miles receive 10% bonus miles. Miles posted this morning however bonus miles did not. Was wondering if bonus still applies?
yes it does, i got 132,000 miles just recently (2 weeks ago) for the 120k package.
pointspinnacle is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 6:19 am
  #5215  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CLT
Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Posts: 1,002
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl View Post
No, it is not possible at present. Also, TP certificates cannot be attached from August 18 to September 18 and we don't know how unattached certificates will be classified in September.
Note that the 8/18-9/18 blackout only applies to the current travel packages. You would be able to book a new TP between 8/18-9/18, at the new prices of course.
GoPhils is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 6:38 am
  #5216  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 199
Originally Posted by pointspinnacle View Post


yes it does, i got 132,000 miles just recently (2 weeks ago) for the 120k package.

thank you for the reply, did not realize the 132K included the bonus.
doctor is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 7:55 am
  #5217  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl., Accor-Plat., Former FPC-Plat.
Posts: 575
The following came from possible new Terms and Conditions that are being elsewhere discussed on FT:

"3.14.c. Once a Travel Package is processed:

i. airline Miles cannot be transferred back to the Membership Account; and

ii. the hotel award portion of the Travel Package is non-refundable to the Member if cancelled or not used."

T&C

Although I have always used each night of a travel package before expiration, I know some have cancelled hotel awards in exchange for a minimal number of points. Some posters believe that the points received when a customer chooses to cancel a hotel award are what these packages are worth, which in a few days might be 0 points. Regardless of what you believe hotel awards are worth, if you absolutely don't plan on using them, you probably should consider cancelling them before August 18.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 15, 18 at 8:12 am Reason: Added quotation marks.
rny321 is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 8:11 am
  #5218  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: YYZ
Posts: 1,069
Guys Im confused and time is running out...

I have about 200K SPG points
I used one travel and points reward from Marriott last year to go to Grand Cayman Marriott - it was category 5. Great time and great deal.

I want to purchase one Marriott hotel and air package before the 18th. I dont know the exact destination we are flexible - thinking maybe Phuket or Maui? ( we have a 2 year old)

Im confused what to do. I was up till 2am last night reading and reading blogs and this thread but I seem no closer to an answer

Is my best bet to buy a current package 1-5 ? or a package 9 - hoping that it will translate to a new category 7? Also seems to be likely a category 8 witll translate to a new category 6?

Should I make some sort of booking even thought we really dont have any idea of plans at this point....too many moving parts..

Anyone who can help with some advice would be greatly appreciated...simply running out of time so I dont think I can do too much more research!
llbean is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 8:15 am
  #5219  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), SPG/MR LTPP, HH Diamond, LeClubAccor Gold, UA Silver, Azul Safira
Posts: 1,417
Originally Posted by rny321 View Post
The following came from possible new Terms and Conditions that are being elsewhere discussed on FT:

"3.14.c. Once a Travel Package is processed:

i. airline Miles cannot be transferred back to the Membership Account; and

ii. the hotel award portion of the Travel Package is non-refundable to the Member if cancelled or not used."

T&C

Although I have always used each night of a travel package before expiration, I know some have cancelled hotel awards in exchange for a minimal number of points. Some posters believe that the points received when a customer chooses to cancel a hotel award are what these packages are worth, which in a few days might be 0 points. Regardless of what you believe hotel awards are worth, if you absolutely don't plan on using them, you probably should consider cancelling them before August 18.
I doubt this will fly, when they're still selling TPs under the current T&Cs. At the very least, I would expect to have a 45k refund on a Cat 1-5 (future Cat 1-4) on "legacy TPs".
RafKa is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 8:29 am
  #5220  
soy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: DUB-BOS
Programs: Rapidly decreasing - BA Silver, O6 *G, HH DIA, Mrr PLT, Assorted debris
Posts: 2,441
Originally Posted by llbean View Post
Guys Im confused and time is running out...

I have about 200K SPG points
I used one travel and points reward from Marriott last year to go to Grand Cayman Marriott - it was category 5. Great time and great deal.

I want to purchase one Marriott hotel and air package before the 18th. I dont know the exact destination we are flexible - thinking maybe Phuket or Maui? ( we have a 2 year old)

Im confused what to do. I was up till 2am last night reading and reading blogs and this thread but I seem no closer to an answer

Is my best bet to buy a current package 1-5 ? or a package 9 - hoping that it will translate to a new category 7? Also seems to be likely a category 8 witll translate to a new category 6?

Should I make some sort of booking even thought we really dont have any idea of plans at this point....too many moving parts..

Anyone who can help with some advice would be greatly appreciated...simply running out of time so I dont think I can do too much more research!

If you are looking at staying at a Cat9, there is no reason to buy a Cat1-5. Your best bet is to buy a Cat9 and attach it to your preferred hotel, even if you do not have fixed dates yet.
Worst case - you would end up getting treated the same as those with floater certs when you go to change the dates later on.

Second guessing on the mapping is gambling, but Dans Deals blog had a good analysis of how it 'might' play out
soy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread