Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
I don't actually see this as much of a risk. It would only occur if in the new program Marriott bans upgrades or downgrades on the travel certificates entirely. That would seem to me to be a bad idea since it would not allow holders to adjust packages when revaluations occur.
Or the Upgrades on the legacy certs would be charged based on the new TP costs while the downgrade of legacy certs would be based on the old TP costs. I can envision this to happen.
I actually hope to be able to upgrade a detached Cat 6 30K/night cert so I could book another property that would go down to 35K/night but currently is a Cat 8 at 40K/night.

It is such a lousy situation for us that one hotel will go from 30K to 25K so if I keep the Cat 6 attached I would need to call to get a refund of the 30K paid, assuming that is even possible.
The other hotel is currently a Cat 8 at 40K/night but will go down to 35K/night. I really dont want to get a Cat 8 now for the other hotel. So if Upgrades are allowed later on, it would work for me.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 13, 2018 at 10:27 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:33 am

I would totally detach that cert and let it ride. That's what I am doing, actually, for the exact same situation (40K - 35K for Residence Inn Midtown East). Planning on 60K to upgrade from the new 1-4 to a 5.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Any help with this? I can’t find the answer anywhere and I don’t want to call and be put on hold for 30 minutes just to be told no.
Rewards points provide more value in today's travel package program than what the chart for the new program shows. Members who redeem a package under today's rules and attach the hotel part it to a Marriott legacy hotel reservation before it goes up can do very well.

There are also reasons to wait. Such reasons include wanting to stay at an SPG legacy property or wanting to stay at a hotel that's not yet taking reservations for the dates wanted.

The best we can do now is to make educated guesses about what will happen to unattached e-certificates. Marriott has not published details on how the "old" hotel e-certicates from travel packages will convert to "new" e-certificates. It's unlikely that the reps who answer the phone at Marriott Rewards know the details either. There's a lot speculation in this thread. Any speculation that suggests an amazing windfall — or a disasterous loss of value and/or loss of flexibility — is likely to be incorrect. I expect a 5-night certificate to remain a 5-night certificate, and a 7-night certificate to remain a 7-night certificate. I expect the per-night point value to remain the same, with the ability to add or refund points to align with new categories.

Last edited by Horace; Aug 13, 2018 at 10:58 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
I would totally detach that cert and let it ride. That's what I am doing, actually, for the exact same situation (40K - 35K for Residence Inn Midtown East). Planning on 60K to upgrade from the new 1-4 to a 5.
I have done the detach this morning and actually cancelled the existing booking which was made on June 1st, several weeks before Marriott published the new charts.
Did not get the confirmation email on the cancellation but the reservation was indeed canceled and I did get the Cancellation number.

Unfortunately the detached Cat 6 cert IS NOT RETURNED to my account after 2 hours. So I called again and was put on hold while the new rep went to hunt for what has happened to the detached Cert. Been over 20 min now and she hasn't come back yet.

Previous rep was very certain to tell me "You just need to TRUST me now that the cert is indeed back to your account but would take a little bit time to show up." Well, it hasn't after 2+ hours. And the current rep seems does not see it in my account either hence she told me to "hang on tight while I checked this further."

I thought a cancellation and returning the TP cert was almost immediately, if being done right. Wish I have called last night with overseas call centers instead. Still on hold and start to wonder if she would even come back or the phone eventually disconnects.

Well, phone is disconnected.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 13, 2018 at 11:06 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
All depends on what you value most and where you plan to go. Personally, I would convert those SPG points and do 2 Cat 1-5 packages, so you can double up on the airline miles. I personally value the AA miles more and it's seeming like the best value of all post-conversion may be in the Cat 1-5 packages since it seems likely they will map to the new cat 1-4s. Thi seems to be particularly true if you don't know where you want to go. This way, you could top off both your AS and UA miles. As to which is the better program to put miles into, again, depends on where you want to go. If Europe is your spot, UA makes more sense. If Asia or Australia or the Middle East are more preferable, than AS makes more sense.
Much appreciated. I didn't even realize I could net 2x Cat 1-5 packages. If I'm doing that, based on what I"m reading, there isn't really any compelling reason to attach them to hotel right now, is there? They'll likely convert to Cat 1-4, which is essentially a push for most properties, correct? I only need to attach them if I'm going to be purcashing a cert above Cat 5, correct?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:27 am

If the leaked terms are legitimate, what do 3.14.b and 3.14.c.ii mean to you? 3.14.b has language suggesting that redeeming for a new travel package requires a "selected hotel." 3.14.c.ii has "non-refundable" language.

3.14.b. When a Member redeems Points to purchase a Travel Package: (1) the hotel award portion includes consecutive nights at the selected hotel; and (2) Miles will be automatically transferred into the participating airline frequent flyer program account that matches the name on the Membership Account.

3.14.c. Once a Travel Package is processed:

i. airline Miles cannot be transferred back to the Membership Account; and

ii. the hotel award portion of the Travel Package is non-refundable to the Member if cancelled or not used.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:35 am

I mean, I guess anything is possible but turning the hotel part of a travel package into what amounts to a non-refundable booking seems pretty harsh, especially given the large increase in cost.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
A LOT of current category 6 to 8 Marriott properties are going UP in terms of points redemption pricing after the transition.

I will be angry if my current cateroy 8 certificate, redeemable at Hawaii Marriott resorts (most of them currently cat 8) becomes insufficient to book same properties after Aug/Sept 18
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
How long it takes a detached cert to return to one's account?

I decided to cancel a reservation that has the Cat 6 cert attached because the hotel will go down to a 25K night new Cat 4 on Aug 18th.

It seems easier to rebook with the later converted Cat 4 cert then trying to get the 30K refund from an existing attached booking.

The elite line is the one that has quickest time to reach an agent. He detached the cert and I could see the reservation no longer has the cert attached. Then he made sure I wanted to cancel the reservation before he proceeded with the cancellation. He assured me the Cat 6 cert has returned to my account that I just needed to trust him - but I do not see it online yet, from when we were still on the phone to 30 min later I logged back in - the returned certificate is still a no show.

From previous readings, it seems the detached cert would return to the account immediately?

I hope I will see the cert later today and not have to call back for follow up. Sigh.

BTW I think the conversion of floater cert to the basic Cat 1-4 and refund the excess points is a fair treatment.
Hi Happy:

I be same as you: one cat 5 floater and one cat 6 attached to a hotel that is going down in value. Based upon postings here by unattaching and cancelling we will end up with two unattached cat 1-4 (new) and 30,000 MR points. Then we rebook the hotel and use one of the cat 1-4 floaters. End result is same reservation plus 30,000 points and one cat 1-4 floater. Don't need the extra floater but wonder if can be extended after one year or refunded as points?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Gold
Has there been any indication that the option to surrender an unused certificate (currently for 45k points for cat 1-5) will go away? I've got one that expires in January (already extended once) that I probably won't use. Any reason to try to cancel it before the 18th to get the points back?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by shutter41
Has there been any indication that the option to surrender an unused certificate (currently for 45k points for cat 1-5) will go away? I've got one that expires in January (already extended once) that I probably won't use. Any reason to try to cancel it before the 18th to get the points back?
If you do decent reading or research, you wille easily find that current certificates expiration can be extended by calling Marriott Rewards.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Happy
I do believe that the real details are kept secret at the highest level.

However, the information your friends have given you about sending emails to inform members on changes, have come and gone and nothing happened for over a week or more, before we finally get this bit of information on the locked down.

Not saying your friends not giving you real info, but whatever you have shared so far, has not come true that is what I remember. There is a little credibility issue... just sayin.
I've been pretty clear about my friend's info and how anything can change at any moment. But actually, they were right about the email going out about the TPs, just wrong about the date for which it was going to happen. Apparently a lot of internal delays (which I updated as well), which has been very common with this merger.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by teach42
Much appreciated. I didn't even realize I could net 2x Cat 1-5 packages. If I'm doing that, based on what I"m reading, there isn't really any compelling reason to attach them to hotel right now, is there? They'll likely convert to Cat 1-4, which is essentially a push for most properties, correct? I only need to attach them if I'm going to be purcashing a cert above Cat 5, correct?
That's basically correct. The only way you'd definitely want to attach now is if any current 1-5 cat is going up in price under the new system. The number of those going up isn't huge I believe, but you should double check and see if you're considering anywhere in particular.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by shutter41
Friend just tried several times and marriott not budging on cancelling/refunding the 45k pts (for cat1-5 cert). I would say you should try nonetheless and this is a "YMMV" case but yeah... not good
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
A LOT of current category 6 to 8 Marriott properties are going UP in terms of points redemption pricing after the transition.

I will be angry if my current cateroy 8 certificate, redeemable at Hawaii Marriott resorts (most of them currently cat 8) becomes insufficient to book same properties after Aug/Sept 18
I understand.... but I would say the category adjustment on Aug 18 is no different than the regular annual adjustment. Just another devaluation in the points world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.