Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

This perhaps provides a window into why the pre-August 18 certs are being blocked from being applied for a month after new program launch — IT challenges. It also provides a window into which kind of customers Marriott is very willing to burn.
Need to see what the changed text is. It could be the old one where it shows a value of 45K.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Need to see what the changed text is. It could be the old one where it shows a value of 45K.
Or it could be simply “non-refundable”.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But it isn't higher. The Cat 6 old isn't a cat 6 new. ...
There is absolutely no information from Marriott to support this claim.
So far all we have is certificates members redeemed for a specific category with specific expirations. Stating that for example cat 5 will no longer be valid at cat 5 will violate that agreement.
Other stuff that was done informally like extension or upgrading/downgrading can definitely be dropped...

we had a recent example when chase IHG card tried to unilaterally reduce annual cert category but within a month backed down and reconfirmed all existing cards/certs as per original agreement

Last edited by azepine00; Aug 11, 2018 at 11:58 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
But it isn't higher. The Cat 6 old isn't a cat 6 new. The old is getting you into a hotel that costs 30K points a night while the new is for 50K points per night.
Agreed that the old cat 6 is not the same as the new cat 6, but in the old structure, to upgrade is 30K more per category (except between Tier 1/2 and Tier 3/4). In the new structure, it will cost us between 60-180K to move up just one category. My example was if one had an old cat 6 and then decided they wanted a new cat 6. In the old structure, it would have cost that person 30K. In the new structure, it is more.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by azepine00
So far all we have is certificates members redeemed for a specific category with specific expirations. Stating that for example cat 5 will no longer be valid at cat 5 will violate that agreement.
Other stuff that was done informally like extension or upgrading/downgrading can definitely be dropped...

we had a recent example when chase IHG card tried to unilaterally reduce annual cert category but within a month backed down and reconfirmed all existing cards/certs as per original agreement
I cannot speak for OssianBlue, but when I referenced these, I was speaking about hotel categories, not travel packages.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by sinfonia
In the new structure, it will cost us between 60-180K to move up just one category.
Yes, because the categories are compressed. That doesn't mean the actual cost in points is higher.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
You mean, other than the recategorization of every single property in the Marriott and Starwood portfolios into the new structure?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by uibd
I think the old certs are in a different system. I downgraded yesterday and the rep told me that she had to cancel it in the old system and create the new cert in the new system. Worked perfectly. For what it is worth, the new cert she created is worded completely different in my account than the other ones.
The codes and wording on the changed certificates in my account and the emails I received after making the changes are identical to the ones I previously received after changing categories. If you are referring to the difference in the description of an unchanged package and a changed one, the language and coding would be different. The initial travel packages have "T" codes and the hotel partial packages have "P" codes. The initial Cat 1-5 travel package might have a code of T830. If the hotel portion is changed to a Category 6, the new code description will look something like: P870 Partial Package-CAT 6 - 75000 Points. I could have missed something, so please let me know if I am mistaken.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:26 pm

Yes, because the categories are compressed. That doesn't mean the actual cost in points is higher.
That is an excellent point. So, a new category 6 might be a category 9 now if I am correct (please correct me if not), so to move from cat 6 to 9 in the old structure is 90K. If Marriott did convert as we are discussing, their old cat 6 certificate would put a person somewhere between a new cat 4 and 5. That means they need to move up somewhere between one and two categories to get to a new cat 6. To move up from category 4 to 5 in the new structure is 60K points, so if Marriott mapped it to 5, then these people are ahead. To move up from category 4 to 6 in the new structure is 180K points which means these people take a hit.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlightBOS
Ultimately, its personal preference. That said, there are a number of incredible options out there, offering some insane values.

One of the more popular redemptions in this thread has been Domes of Elounda in Crete, Greece. Seven nights in a one-bedroom "family" (two sofa beds, instead of one) suite, choice of garden or sea view (guess which one I picked...) and a private outdoor jacuzzi?

I know its not everyone's cup-of-tea, but I think its hard to argue 900sqft and $800/night of value isn't worth considering (https://domesofelounda.com/family-suite/). And that's not even taking into account the airline miles, which can be redeemed for > $20k in F tickets. All for 390k MR / 130k SPG.
This was the one property that I thought about booking but ultimately decided not to. It was the difference between paying 540K for two Cat 1-5 TPs at the 120K mile marker vs the 390K for that package and I ultimately went with the two TPs. No regrets because I still value the airline miles more than the room points but it looks like an incredible property.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:34 pm

Yes and no. Some of it is due to Cat compression, but more-so from using 6 night peak pricing as the basis plus the 1.5:1 airline transfer ratio. At lower Cats its pretty close:

A clean example would be OC5->OC7, which have the same 'standard' night prices as NC4->NC5. Upgrades price assuming difference in cert cost: old = 60k (330k-270k), new = 60k (390k-330k).

But at higher Cats it falls apart.

Another clean example would be OC7->OCT3, which would have the same standard nights prices as NC5->NC7. Upgrades price assuming difference in cert cost: old = 90k (420k-330k), new = 180k (570k-390k).

VFW has quoted an update as:

"While we plan on sharing the full conversion chart on 8/18, I can let you know that all existing certificates will convert to similarly valued categories after that date. I realize you might have more questions and we will be able to answer those soon.

As I previously wrote, we encourage members who know their travel plans to make reservations prior to August 18th. For members that are not sure of their future plans, please be advised that you will not be able to modify your certificate for an existing reservation or attach it to a new one between August 18 and September 18, 2018."

If true, that is good about getting the update on the 18th and it appears that they are thinking 'cats' and not 'points' if I interpret it correctly, which makes sense as I have previously attempted to articulated with how hotels are being distributed (for instance 98% of OC9 45k/night hotels are going to NC6 50k/night hotels and above). If they are going to announce on the 18th, hopefully they are being conservative with the 1 month blackout and can get things functional again sooner.

Now back to the original debate about round up/down of old cats 6, 8, 9, which was interrupted by the points refund Lurker comments. Hopefully they don't look at peak night prices when determining 'similar value', as that could be pretty bad (old RCT5->NC7 or OC8->NC5).

And the final question would be, for those who were 'rounded down' would they be refunded, perhaps the old Cat downgrade equivalent.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by theplayer
ok..not trying to be snarky, but what is the allure of the 7 day packages? I get it's good value, but where are people going that they would want to stay at the same location for 7 nights? I can't see this as option to say Europe. Too much to see over multiple countries to want to stay in one location for 7 nights. Hawaii maybe?
We do 7 day vacations as a standard: leave for long-distance travel on Th/Fr, arrive Sat, stay 7 days, return and be at work Monday. Great way to avoid blowing more than 5 vacation days but getting a great trip. We now work for ourselves but 7 days still works for staying on top of our companies.

Places where 7 days was either perfect or actually not enough time: Amsterdam, Paris, Seoul, Maui.
Places we plan on staying for 7 days next year: Munich, Thailand resort TBD, and an Australian city TBD.
cruisr likes this.

Last edited by SightseeMC; Aug 11, 2018 at 1:35 pm Reason: grammar
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: United 1P
I am holding a cat 1-5, but I have not decided where to use it. What is the general guess whether I will be able to upgrade the certificate by paying more points after Sep 18?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by kgkg
I am holding a cat 1-5, but I have not decided where to use it. What is the general guess whether I will be able to upgrade the certificate by paying more points after Sep 18?
I definitely think you can upgrade by paying more points after Sep 18. I just think it will be converted to a new certificate and then you upgrade from cat 4 to whatever cat you want based on their new travel package pricing structure.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by musicscrip

May I suggest Courtyard Taipei? We just finished our stay there and absolutely love it (love it more than London Park Lane which we stayed at a week ago)

We are gold/plat so we got free lounge access at Courtyard Taipei and we had the option to have breakfast in the sunrise restuarant which was over the top for what we paid for the room. I believe it will only cost you 10000 Marriott pt per night after Aug 18th if you book off peak.
When we were in Taipei we stayed at the Grand Sheraton, which was actually pretty nice. The morning breakfast buffet was really outstanding. However, I've heard great things about the Courtyard Taipei too. I'm glad you're providing another rousing endorsement of the property. We will definitely put it high on our list for our next visit to Taipei.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.