Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFWsakp
I am curious as to what would Marriott do if the Member does not have enough points to be taken out of his account?
Once the Air Miles get posted, there is no way for Marriott to get them back and so how would Marriott convert that to a 7 night certificate.
Now if the member was lying, then that's on the member, but if a member asked the agent if he can book a 5 night package and the Agent does it, then that's on the Agent and there should be no penalty to the member.
the mile portion is the same for either package. The cancellation value is 10k for 5 nights and 45k for 7 nights.

i don't think anyone who redeems 5 nights while not being eligible can claim innocence with a straight face. On top of that, the agent who booked a 5 nights cert for ineligible member would get reprimanded, that would get written in their records.
Yeah, it is onto the agent who would have to bear the consequence of being not being careful when doing his / her job to prevent someone pulling a fast one. (sarcasm)
To each their own.

cruisr likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 12, 2018 at 11:38 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:49 pm

I just received a note from Marriott saying no alterations/attachment of travel package certificates between Aug 18 and September 18.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rny321
I don't know if it is just bad luck, but the rep I was speaking to told me her supervisor stated that their system is not allowing changes to partial packages at this time. I had the codes for the different travel packages, like P870 for a Category 6 hotel package, which I provided to her. She suggested I call back in a month to change my existing packages to different categories. I am simply passing on what I was told and I plan to try again before 8/18.
I was able to upgrade a 1-5 cert to a 9 yesterday evening around 6 or 7 PDT. Though it took nearly an hour to accomplish. I'd try again
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:58 pm
soy

Programs: various
This is good news, seems they will do some sort of mapping and we will be able to use them across the combined network in Sept. Right now it is shaping up to be a 'fair' treatment of the outstanding certs, which is pretty much in line with everything they have done to date with the merger.

Works great for those of us with TP's that actually want to stay at a hotel, not so much for anyone who was dreaming of a points windfall.
Happy, cruisr, dsquared37 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I got the email and have one Cat 5 unattached. *Our New Travel Packages will launch with our new loyalty program on 8/18/18. Certificates purchased on or after 8/18 are able to be used immediately. For certificates purchased prior to 8/18, we are working to convert your package and it will be available based on the new converted values on September 18, 2018.
So is the fear of only getting a nominal point refund (like 45,000) gone (if unattached) ?

Is it likely they'll convert it to a 7 day stay at an obviously downgraded value? Perhaps down 1 cat?

Since they took the time & effort to think about the certs in limbo, would it have killed them to disclose what they are thinking?

Jesus Horatio Christ!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by pilgrim
I just received a note from Marriott saying no alterations/attachment of travel package certificates between Aug 18 and September 18.
I've seen the email, and it was posted above, but I've yet to receive it myself. This announcement suggests there will not be any cert negation and points windfall but it could also suggest it won't be a simple reset to Cat 1-4 certs with remainder points returned to account which, IMO, would be require straightforward code and not a fix requiring a month to put in place.

EDIT: Apparently soy beat me to the punch.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
I attached mine and the reservation is in the system so not to worried
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
So with a week's advance notice Marriott is telling people they can't use their legacy unattached travel packages for a month. And they still don't tell people what happens after that month to the legacy packages and how they will map.
While I realize this is a huge migration, they just need to make a decision and publish it. A week before the transition isn't the time to still hedge their bets.

Luckily, I have no pony in this show with no travel packages in my account. But this feels a lot like 'Lets Make a Deal' where you can either take the current travel package or whats behind door #1 Borrowing from another game show, hopefully no whammies!
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I got the email but my certificate shows as attached on the website? I'm checking in late on the 18th so I'm just going to assume everything is fine.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by applesauce
Booking a 5N simply by requesting and being approved by Marriott reps is one thing (that's on them). Lying about qualifying to get the package really seems to be something else altogether (that's on you).
Im not sure if you were trying to imply that I lied, or got that impression from my post. I do own a week with MVC (bought with my ex & we still share it) so I did not misrepresent myself in any way to get the 5-night packages. I am aware that my status may be audited and I have no problem with that.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
1. Call the number on the TP page, or one of the various worldwide recommended numbers for Marriott Rewards (those can be found buried in this thread or online).
2. Given today's announcement, there is little risk to buying a TP and not attaching the certificate if you don't know where/when you are planning to use it.

The only downside risk I am taking seriously is certificates being converted to "new Cat 1-4 certificates plus 30K points/Cat above old Cat 5"; the downside being you couldn't book some higher end property that you would want given the new price structure. This isn't much of a downside: you're getting a refund of points which provides flexibility in exchange for maybe missing out on your preferred hotel. There is also the possibility that Marriott will try to map old categories to new categories and "downgrade" certificates in the middle (e.g. certs currently worth 40K/nt being worth 35K/nt in the new program), but I now very much doubt that will happen. Locking certs for a month and then devaluing them would go over badly, even though the lock is coming after the programs combine anyway.

So what's the upside? Well, now the remaining upside options are: old category = new category (a great win for probably everyone below Ritz 1-5 holders), or mapping old certs to new cats and "upgrading" certs in the middle (so those 40K/nt certs would be worth 50k/nt). Not sure which would be more likely.
Agreed. They are still doing them. Call Australia or Asia Marriott numbers. I just got a 7 day Cat 7 moments ago....
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by rny321
I don't know if it is just bad luck, but the rep I was speaking to told me her supervisor stated that their system is not allowing changes to partial packages at this time.
That supervisor isn't worth his/her salt. I just accomplished the exact thing they claimed can't be done.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:21 pm

ok..not trying to be snarky, but what is the allure of the 7 day packages? I get it's good value, but where are people going that they would want to stay at the same location for 7 nights? I can't see this as option to say Europe. Too much to see over multiple countries to want to stay in one location for 7 nights. Hawaii maybe?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by theplayer
ok..not trying to be snarky, but what is the allure of the 7 day packages? I get it's good value, but where are people going that they would want to stay at the same location for 7 nights? I can't see this as option to say Europe. Too much to see over multiple countries to want to stay in one location for 7 nights. Hawaii maybe?
Post conversion, 60,000 marriott points will get you 25,000 miles, so 270,000 (assuming you could actually do this 4.5 times) would get your 112,500 miles. The current package gets your 120,000 for 270,000 points, so even if you throw away the stay, you are still getting a better deal. If you planned to use your marriott points for hotels, no, it doesn't make sense to get the packages.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by theplayer
Not everyone is young and "on the move" plus there is plenty to see/experience in Paris or Bangkok or............. for 7 days. Different strokes for different folks!
Renard and cruisr like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.