Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:58 pm

newbie help please, just stumbled across the packages. I have 194 K Marriot points and about 50K SPG. I also Have a ton of Chase points. Wife and I looking to vacation in Europe this coming Feb, no destination chosen yet.
Question..I read about packages being devalued in Aug. Did I miss the cut off? ...or still a good deal to buy a package today?
Question 2-would transferring about 80k from Chase to Marriot be wise to get me to 270k to buy the package?
thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by theplayer
newbie help please, just stumbled across the packages. I have 194 K Marriot points and about 50K SPG. I also Have a ton of Chase points. Wife and I looking to vacation in Europe this coming Feb, no destination chosen yet.
Question..I read about packages being devalued in Aug. Did I miss the cut off? ...or still a good deal to buy a package today?
Question 2-would transferring about 80k from Chase to Marriot be wise to get me to 270k to buy the package?
thanks.
You can instantly transfer SPG to Marriott right now, 50k SPG = 150k Marriott. So you have more than enough.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
You can instantly transfer SPG to Marriott right now, 50k SPG = 150k Marriott. So you have more than enough.
thanks for the reply. Should I buy a travel package right away...devaluation hasn't happened yet? We usually fly Bos-Dub with Avios points on Aer Lingus for only 26K points round trip. So, I assume the 120k Avios points package is my best bet?
edit-we would use Dub as jumping point to another country.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:15 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
If you want to redeem your points for a TP award, I would do it sooner rather than later. Things will only get more hectic for Marriott over the next week. And if you have problems getting an agent on the phone, making sure all your points are in the right account, etc., you might run the risk of not getting it ordered in time.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'm thinking about upgrading a Cat 1-5 --> Cat 6, does this reset the expiration date?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'm thinking about upgrading a Cat 1-5 --> Cat 6, does this reset the expiration date?
yes
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
If you want to redeem your points for a TP award, I would do it sooner rather than later. Things will only get more hectic for Marriott over the next week. And if you have problems getting an agent on the phone, making sure all your points are in the right account, etc., you might run the risk of not getting it ordered in time.
call the Mexico Marriott phone number. Took 10 min to book a TP 2 days ago
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:14 pm

I have 340k points. I Want to buy a TP for a European stay, will fly using Avios. Should I buy the cheapest 270k package(cat 1-5), or buy the 330k package(cat 6). I do not know where we will be vacationing at this point or the probable cat #.
Will upgrading from cat 1-5 after Aug 18 cost me more points than now. I assume the hotel will most likely be higher than cat 1-5.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:38 pm

Wanted to follow up on my saga of trying to get a 5N package. Called and the first rep told me that I needed to be an MVC owner. I politely told him my dad was one and it would be ok to transfer MR if that's what I needed. He got far enough along and came back telling me that he was having issues moving the MR from one account to the other and that he would make an exception and book it on my end. Was on hold and hit a deadzone...disconnected.

All other reps just keep telling me 'no you're not an owner', which I understand even if I think the policy is ridiculous (family already owns one timeshare, they would have me buy another just to book this thing). Some told me point transfers were not allowed.

Fast forward to today and I figure I'll give it one more shot. The rep asks me which package and I told her, she happily went off and booked it no questions asked. I get an email after I hang up to find she booked a 7N package instead of a 5N...

​​​​If I have my dad on the phone with me, is there any way to reverse this and transfer the cert to him? I think the miles are too far gone at this point and couldn't be cancelled but I'm generally pretty bummed that I now have a 7N cert I know I won't use fully.

I doubt I could "upgrade" the cert to 5N, but figured I should ask if anyone here has gone down this particular rabbit hole before?

TL;DR: I'm dumb and accidentally booked a 7N I didn't want in quest for 5N. Trying to figure out if "upgrading from 7 to 5 is a thing I could attempt"
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold
A quick note and question on booking the 7-night by combining points with a spouse, since I had a hard time finding info on that process.

I wanted to transfer 107K points from my spouse's account to mine to get the 270K point 7-night package (~163K in my account). After the 30+ minute hold times 3 times, I have been continuously held up at the last step every time. The "system is down" for transferring points between accounts due to "maintenance from the merger".

On the 3rd time now, and I escalated to a supervisor, now the "downtime starts at 10pm", and "more than 50K points is against the rules". Still waiting on hold while they try and figure it out.

Any tips, I am all ears
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pykerl
A quick note and question on booking the 7-night by combining points with a spouse, since I had a hard time finding info on that process.

I wanted to transfer 107K points from my spouse's account to mine to get the 270K point 7-night package (~163K in my account). After the 30+ minute hold times 3 times, I have been continuously held up at the last step every time. The "system is down" for transferring points between accounts due to "maintenance from the merger".

On the 3rd time now, and I escalated to a supervisor, now the "downtime starts at 10pm", and "more than 50K points is against the rules". Still waiting on hold while they try and figure it out.

Any tips, I am all ears
Can your spouse transfer her Marriott points to SPG, then transfer to your SPG account?

PS not sure if this will work. Hope someone can confirm.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:30 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by pykerl

The answer is NO. Per MR's policy, you can transfer up to 50K total per year into your account. It can be 30k from spouse and 20k from brother.... It is free for Gold and above only.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia
Can your spouse transfer her Marriott points to SPG, then transfer to your SPG account?

While technically an option supposedly SPG-->SPG transfers are taking a considerably longer time than they did in the past.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Login access down and even says call centers are effected. Anyone make TP bookings since 1700 PST?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:34 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Explore SE Asia

This works under normal circumstances. But it is highly risky now. It was normally a 5-day transfer. But this is now 7-day or longer. You run the risk of tying the SPG points in no-man's land. I did this early and booked my TPs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.