Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:13 pm

Who should I call to attach a TP 7-night certificate to a reservation I made?
The general reservation number or Marriott Reward?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Scoob72
Thank you for reading this -- I genuinely appreciate it.
(a) Book a dummy reservation now (and also have Marriott attach my certificate to it) for a year out -- i.e. for August 2019 -- with a view to then having the certificate "in the system" and also then hoping that Marriott (or the hotel directly?) allows me to amendthe booking dates (from August 2019 to November 2019) in November this year when the booking window (for Nov 2019) opens up: my hope ultimately being that, as with the current Marriott program, I might be able to extend the life of the certificate beyond one year?

OR

(b) to hold out for a *possible* 420,000 MR points refund from an enforced, post-August 18 Marriott cancellation of my "floater" Tier 4-5 hotel certificate and, subsequently, book a 7-night stay at the R-C Kyoto (availability permitting) when the booking window for Nov 2019 opens up?
All the best
AFAIK there is no "in the system" advantage for attaching a cert to a reservation and then taking it off. You either have a cert or don't, in Marriott IT's view.

That said, one question I have is when you bought your cert? Would you have to extend it to book if nothing changed between now and Nov 2018?

Since I am a betting man (everyone currently in this thread is), I would assume that there is no devaluation of a Tier 4-5 cert possible that would keep me from being able to book any hotel in the system that had availability on those dates. Since hotel availability is not reliant on anything I could do, no choice I make will affect getting in. So I would just sit pat and book the hotel in November with whatever my cert was converted to post-8/18.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sdflyer04
What is your break point between using points and dollars? I’m trying to decide whether to use 35K per night for 4 nights or $268/night. I would get an extra night with the points. But, I will be leaving by 1-2 p.m. after the 4th night. So, no great benefit there. I have a category 5 (25K) 5 night TP that I was planning to upgrade to the 35K level. But, I’m struggling a bit with the value of points with the new system.

What is your value?
I'd pay cash on a 4-night stay and ask for a late checkout.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I'd pay cash on a 4-night stay and ask for a late checkout.
Thanks. That is what I was leaning toward. However, I have an unattached travel certificate that I could use for this 4 night stay. And, I was planning to buy two more travel certs prior to August 18. At least one of those would be left unattached. Would that change your thinking? It has me wobbling.

What do you value Marriott points at using the new system?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke5150
Hey Happy: Any decision yet? Me in same boat.
Keep the existing Cat 6 booking which we need for stay in Oct and float the 2 Cat 5. I am sick of trying to find a property to book that I have no idea when and if. we would actually use it.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcsimard
Who should I call to attach a TP 7-night certificate to a reservation I made?
The general reservation number or Marriott Reward?
Same number you order the TP.

General reservation can not do it.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Same number you order the TP.

General reservation can not do it.
Done... Thank you.
It took 3 minutes, once I got an agent to answer.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Marriott is not going to convert legacy certificates to points nor cancel the certificates. Instead, Marriott is going to attempt to convert the floating certificates to new certificates that roughly match the new categories based on the legacy category point values. So, a legacy cat 1-5 certificate will be good at a hotel that, come Aug 18, accepts 25K per night. They still have not figured out what they are going to do about the old category point prices that do not match up to new categories. They will suddenly make a declaration of the new policy when they come up with one, leaving loyal members completely at the mercy of whatever Marriott declares from on high, and they were expecting that the members would just get on board with it because it was such a small percentage of Marriott members . . . until recently. Any certificates that were attached pre-August 18 (that match up in point values [25K per night, 35K per night, etc.]) to the award reservation of the desired hotel will be honored at that category throughout the one year that the certificate is good unless changes are made to the reservation (in which case the certificate gets converted to a new certificate and the member is charged the difference in points-based pricing to use the certificate). If one now desires to visit a property that we know will become more expensive in the nightly point rate August 18, and if said person has not attached a certificate by August 18 to a reservation that was booked as an award (i.e. points) stay, then that person may (read: will) lose the ability use the certificate for that property.

There are two problems:

a) Marriott continues to use the word "category" for these new classifications when what they mean is some other classification. If, instead of calling them "categories," they referred to them as classes or brackets or some similar word, they would not have the problem that they have. However, as it stands now, if I hold a category 6 certificate that is good for any bookable Marriott property that is in "category 6," I should be able to use it on any property that is know as "category 6," pre-or-post August 18. Where, in the terms and conditions of these certificates, does it state "may be used on legacy category 6 properties but not the new category 6 properties?" It does not. If Marriott had termed the new categories as classes and kept the old chart up for legacy certificate holders (hotels would simultaneously be in a class and the old category for the next year), there would not be the confusion because there would not be any new categories, and therefore, a category 6 property is still a category 6 property, so the holder of the certificate is not entitled to anything other than what Marriott intends to be a category 6 property.

b) The Marriott associates, even at the elite services (a.k.a. platinum) desk, still do not know about the changes to travel packages, and many of them, at least until a few days ago, did not even know that there were changes in hotel categories or changes to the price structure of the travel packages . Therefore, they are advising members all sorts of different things. When a member is repeatedly advised incorrectly by the Marriott representatives, and the member moves forward on purchasing based on that incorrect information, Marriott is going to have a big guest satisfaction issue on their hands. Yes, as has been stated here many times, the associates do not know. We all know this. The point is that they should know and the fact that their lack of knowledge has been demonstrated time and again, yet they continue to advise and sell, is bad business. To have the ambassador for a brand tell a member one thing on August 17, or August 6, or August 1, or even July 25, and then the member find out on August 18 that the information they have been advised is wrong, and the member will now take the hit because Marriott suddenly made a declaration that now we are supposed to somehow just know that the way they are looking at the certificates is now based on the nightly point value of the category of the certificate when agents have been advising members otherwise, does not garner favor in the very members they hope to continue business with (sorry - long sentence). Marriott should have had their act together much earlier and put out the information instead of letting everyone guess and gamble, but they could not because they still have not completely figured out how they will handle all of it. Now, because they did not think this through earlier and because they were not anticipating this kind of travel package response, they are in a situation where I believe that they are going to have end up taking a hit and honoring those certificates for the categories listed, or absorb the anger of many loyal members which may take form in losing business.

They will not be extending legacy certificates anymore without converting the legacy certificate to the new certificate. They want the legacy certificates off the books as soon as that can legally happen.

If a person did overpurchase the category (e.g. he/she purchased a category 8 certificate and the hotel he/she desires will be moving down to category 4), Marriott will refund a points difference; however, the points difference will not be based on the old travel package price structure and it will be a small nightly sum of points since the majority of the value of these packages in the airline miles anyway.

Last edited by sinfonia; Aug 6, 2018 at 6:57 pm
Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by flyer05
Just finished moving my certs into a position that I'm happy with. 1 x Cat 9 attached to the Domes, 1 x Cat 9 unattached, 1 x Cat 8, 1 x Cat 7, 2 x Cat 6, 4 x Cat 1-5.

Ready to eat crow come August 19.
How will you use all of these in one year? This is my biggest problem - finding the time to use them all in one year! I want to purchase a fourth (category 9) but alas, my life does not allow me that much time. . . . Would that I had a job that I could work from the Domes!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by sinfonia
How will you use all of these in one year? This is my biggest problem - finding the time to use them all in one year! I want to purchase a fourth (category 9) but alas, my life does not allow me that much time. . . . Would that I had a job that I could work from the Domes!
If they do indeed get converted to new certs of some kind, it’ll certainly be a challenge to spend them, but a good challenge to have. I’ll likely end up using them for 4- or 5-night stays as well, which is still a good deal in my books.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:07 pm

By using for vacations? I personally receive 10 weeks. Clearly ymmv on your career .
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
a) Marriott continues to use the word "category" for these new classifications when what they mean is some other classification. If, instead of calling them "categories," they referred to them as classes or brackets or some similar word, they would not have the problem that they have. However, as it stands now, if I hold a category 6 certificate that is good for any bookable Marriott property that is in "category 6," I should be able to use it on any property that is know as "category 6," pre-or-post August 18. Where, in the terms and conditions of these certificates, does it state "may be used on legacy category 6 properties but not the new category 6 properties?" It does not.
Right here:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms.mi

Marriott Rewards membership and its benefits are offered at the discretion of Marriott. Marriott and its travel partners have the right, without limitation, to change, limit, modify or cancel Program Rules, regulations, rewards, and reward levels at any time, with or without notice, even though such changes may affect the value of points or miles already accumulated, the ability to use accumulated points or miles, or the ability to obtain certain rewards. Marriott and its travel partners may, among other things:
  • increase or decrease the number of points or miles received for a stay or required for a reward;
  • withdraw, limit, modify, or cancel any reward or category;
  • add blackout dates, limit rooms available for reward redemption at any participating hotel, change or restrict participating hotels, or otherwise restrict the continued availability of rewards;
  • change program benefits, travel partners, locations served by Marriott or its travel partners, conditions of participation, rules for earning, redeeming, retaining, or forfeiting points or miles, or rules governing the use of rewards;
  • change or cancel its travel partner rewards. The accumulation of points or miles does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to points, miles, rewards, or program benefits. In accumulating points or miles, members may not rely upon the continued availability of any reward or reward level.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils

Marriott and its travel partners have the right, without limitation, to change, limit, modify or cancel Program Rules, regulations, rewards, and reward levels at any time, with or without notice, even though such changes may affect the value of points or miles already accumulated, the ability to use accumulated points or miles, or the ability to obtain certain rewards
Note what isn't specified: changing existing instruments once issued. That's not to say they have to treat old cat 6 as new cat 6. But they probably can't do something like force cancel all certificates and deposit 45K back into accounts either.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Thanks for posting. Do you see a travel package as a benefit or reward? Or do you see it as something more tangible? We receive points for staying, but when we have actually made a purchase with those points, I see them as something more tangible which is now a product, no longer a benefit. My reading of it, anyway. I do not see Marriott changing hotel categories or how they award points the same as changing the rules to an already purchased product.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by eye84u
By using for vacations? I personally receive 10 weeks. Clearly ymmv on your career .
Ha! Yeah, I guess so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.