Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:48 am

I just got my UA miles. I ordered yesterday and it has been about 30 hours from when I ordered.

One of my TPs was not processed properly and I had to call and had them fix the problem. That one was for AS miles. They did reprocessed and it took addition 3-4 days for the miles to post. You might want to call and have them check your UA number and if there was any problem with the order.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by jrey
I just got my UA miles. I ordered yesterday and it has been about 30 hours from when I ordered.

One of my TPs was not processed properly and I had to call and had them fix the problem. That one was for AS miles. They did reprocessed and it took addition 3-4 days for the miles to post. You might want to call and have them check your UA number and if there was any problem with the order.
When you say not processed properly, what clued you in that something was off? Did the 7 night certificate still get deposited into your MR account?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Not trying to get you freaked out but I ordered one on Monday and the miles were deposited on Wednesday (best as I can recollect being halfway around the world). And this was the longest I've waited.
I'm not worried. I ordered 2 UA packages last year, and 3 more in the past month. They typically take 3 days to post for me. Today is day 4.
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by dan9124
When you say not processed properly, what clued you in that something was off? Did the 7 night certificate still get deposited into your MR account?
I got the certificate when the points were deducted. My following TP's miles were posted. That's how I found out there might have been a problem with my previous TP. So I called. The agent I spoke with did consult with her supervisor(s) and it was a very long hold waiting for them to figure out what the problem was. They eventually said the agent who did it for me did not do it the right way. I did not what "the right way" mean, but they did confirm that the miles did not go the first time and had to re-order a new TP for me.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
My VS miles have posted - within 24 hours of making the redemption with Marriott. I'm just pleased they haven't become lost while the Marriott/SPG merger takes place!
Congrats! It seems mine have been temporarily misplaced...lets hope they're not entirely lost

Originally Posted by dan9124
I ordered a TP the morning of 7/28 and I'm still waiting for my VS miles to post. I've verified they have the right VS account number, but the MR twitter team tells me there's no way for them to check the status of the transfer. They said to allow 3-5 business days. FWIW, VS's twitter team told me to allow two weeks.
I'm running into the exact same issue. Marriott says VS has the points, VS says Marriott has the points. I'm 5 days since the "transfer" and no dice... If nothing else, the finger-pointing is top-notch! Hoping its resolved within the next 24H...
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I'm not worried. I ordered 2 UA packages last year, and 3 more in the past month. They typically take 3 days to post for me. Today is day 4.
I ordered 4 this past weekend. 3 of them posted yesterday .The 2nd on I ordered at the same time as another one didn't post yet (all UA). At some point they will post. If you don't need the miles immediately, just be patient. It will all work out at some point.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
I seems to have the issue that the names were not exact match. My airlines has my middle name and my Marriott only have my first and last. I updated my name with Marriott and the points went through right the next day. I had been waiting for over a week for the points to be deposited into AA account.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by jrey
Has anyone got UA miles posted recently? How many days did it take?
For me, one day, not expedited.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I wonder if this is all some grand plan by Marriott to get the “liability” of all these points off the books? I would be curious to know how many TPs have been redeemed in the last 60 days.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
I wonder if this is all some grand plan by Marriott to get the “liability” of all these points off the books? I would be curious to know how many TPs have been redeemed in the last 60 days.
It can't be as much as you think. I stayed at a Cat 2 RI on points once. The front desk accidentally gave me the corporate bill and it was only $11/night.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
It can't be as much as you think. I stayed at a Cat 2 RI on points once. The front desk accidentally gave me the corporate bill and it was only $11/night.
I suspect cruiser was talking abut the number of TPs redeemed recently rather than the amount it will cost Marriott to get the points off their books.

As to the $11 bill, someone (socrates maybe) explained some years ago that the amount Marriott reimburses the property for award stays varies depending on the occupancy of the property that night. As I recall, if the room would have been vacant, Marriott reimburses only a nominal amount, about the cost of changing the linen, while if the room might have been sold (high occupancy that night), the reimbursement is closer to the cost a guest might pay. Don't know if that is still the case, though.

The potential liability for bookkeeping purposes of an unredeemed point is probably a standard amount, perhaps .8 cents per point or even less. That doesn't mean it will cost Marriott that much to actually redeem the point, though.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COMike78
What happens when it is canceled?
Go back many pages ago on this thread, a poster said his 5 night cert was canceled and Marriott took additional pts from his account to order a 7 night cert instead - WITHOUT ever notifying him. When he called, all depts gave him the correct answer - he was not eligible for the 5 night cert. He went all the way to the executive office but was told the same.
On Reddit a while back there were a few DPs on people's accounts were audited and 5 night certs were canceled.

On top of that, reps who performed the redemption for ineligible members, will get reprimanded according to a couple reps I talked to over this thing.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cruisr
On a Travel Package, only the points allocated to the airline miles immediately relieve Marriott of any balance sheet liability. That's because that part of the transaction is final. The points allocated to the hotel stay do not relieve Marriott of any liability until the reservation is used.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by controller1
On a Travel Package, only the points allocated to the airline miles immediately relieve Marriott of any balance sheet liability. That's because that part of the transaction is final. The points allocated to the hotel stay do not relieve Marriott of any liability until the reservation is used.
But concurrently Marriott is purchasing airline miles, which are likely more expensive than their internal value of points, so Marriott could be taking a financial hit on the miles portion which is subsequently negated (and then some) on the hotel cert.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dsquared37
But concurrently Marriott is purchasing airline miles, which are likely more expensive than their internal value of points, so Marriott could be taking a financial hit on the miles portion which is subsequently negated (and then some) on the hotel cert.
I'm going to doubt that. Marriott would have a significant amount of history to indicate what percentage of their liability will be used for the purchase of airline miles versus the amount that will be used to secure hotel award reservations. It will be this blended cost per point that will be used for the valuation of the liability. With the amount of history Marriott will have, over a year there are probably only relatively small fluctuations requiring a revaluation of the liability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.