Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by CDO
Transferred to AS 7/22 and still no miles, yikes!
7/21 for me
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by philemer
For all you folks that have redeemed MR for travel packages in the last couple weeks are you let the cert. float or attaching it? I may redeem for a 1>5 Cat. package this week.
Attached 2 and still have one floating. The final one I have no destination in mine; I just wanted AS miles.
Determining whether I have the stamina to play chicken with new Marriott on what will happen post merger.
I may blink, but I'm trying to keep it unattached. haha.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: OZ & BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott & Accor Plat
Originally Posted by jrey
For Virgin Atlantic, don't they have very high fuel surcharge?
Believe since trip originates/ends in Japan its pretty low - e.g. HND-FRA return or NRT-ORD return means only ~200-250 EUR
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by sinfonia
Does anyone know where to locate the link to the legacy travel packages terms and conditions other than this?
You can try: https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by FlightBOS
As a heads up to those attempting to purchase travel packages, I'd recommend doing it sooner rather than later. It took me almost a week to order a package because my VS number was "invalid according to the system".

They finally resolved the bug in their system (at least for my account), but now the miles won't post on VS (supposed to be < 3 days, per phone reps). Their teams are investigating it, but I imagine they're overrun with requests / issues. A supervisor indicated to me that this is a widespread issue (on both the VS number side, and on miles not posting).

Anyone else experience something like this? Beyond frustrating...
I have just redeemed a TP to VS. VS membership number was accepted, so now just the waiting game to see when the miles land.

I now have two floaters that I will leave unattached. I have a hotel in mind for one of them, but it drops from Cat 6 to Cat 4 upon merger, so I'll see if I can still book it after we know the fate of our floaters...
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
Quick update - marriott travel packages are not bookable now on account of a "Technical issue". Did anyone else encounter this?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Got one yesterday. Called answered straightaway and took 2 mins on the phone for a cat 1-5
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
I have just redeemed a TP to VS. VS membership number was accepted, so now just the waiting game to see when the miles land.
Best of luck! Once mine post, I'll try to jump back on here and let you all know how long it took.

Originally Posted by jiteshjerome
Quick update - marriott travel packages are not bookable now on account of a "Technical issue". Did anyone else encounter this?
This happened to me late last week. Took ~4 days for them to resolve (was resolved after their public website--and presumably their internal systems--were taken offline for an update). Hope they're able to resolve it faster for you!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by RedSun
Just booked 7 nights Cat-8 United package. Plenty SPG+MR points. After 8/18, Cat-8 will be changed to Cat-6. I still get one-year to use the certificates. Happy about it. Very short on United miles.
I was in the same situation. I booked 4x 7 night 132k UA miles packages. 2 cat 9 which I attached to a reservation, and 2 Cat 1-5a that I’m letting float. I’ll take the gamble. Marriott has always sided on the more customer friendly solution in my experience, so I think it’s a risk worth taking. If I only end up with 90k points back so be it...I can do a lot of damage with the 512k UA miles I just received.
osotoc likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jiteshjerome
I called 30 mins ago and was able to redeem for a 7-night Cat 7 132K UA package.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:25 am

Just redeemed cat 1-5 with UA miles. The agent picked up immediately and asked me my UA I'd and said done. It was within 1 minute after verifying name and address. I was surprised how quickly that was and am nervous. Hopefully the miles will post on time. Now I have 5 certificates with only one attached for December.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum; Marriott Titanium Elite; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tth6133
That super generous hold policy is now history. Hope they honor yours since you did it before their policy change. Also, pre-8/18, you get substantially fewer miles if you select KE for your TP.
The generous hold policy is definitely alive and well with the caveat that your flights are all on KE metal. Without even asking the agent that I spoke with mentioned that I had to pay by August 21st (for a flight placed on hold on July 21st) and the current status shows "Pay by Aug 21st".

You are correct on partner flights awards holds however as they have a much more limited hold policy of a matter of days or up to a week if I recall.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by COMike78
The generous hold policy is definitely alive and well with the caveat that your flights are all on KE metal. Without even asking the agent that I spoke with mentioned that I had to pay by August 21st (for a flight placed on hold on July 21st) and the current status shows "Pay by Aug 21st".

You are correct on partner flights awards holds however as they have a much more limited hold policy of a matter of days or up to a week if I recall.
Did you check after 7/15? KE supposedly eliminated all holds on both its own metal and its partners starting on 7/15.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
Did you check after 7/15?
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that 7/21 was after 7/15 this year.
nabeelj likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: American/United/Emirates Marriott-Platinum Elite
Pulled the trigger on the Cat 1-5 w/ 110K United miles last night. Took all of a few minutes, award went into the account as au un attached floater immediately and the 110K are in my United account too! Italy, Spain or France some time next year for me. We will see how the new program works out -so back to work to earn new miles!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.