Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Connected with an agent in one minute and redeemed a cat 7 with UA miles in under 5 minutes, including him holding on while i verified the package in my account.

Last edited by cruisr; Jul 31, 2018 at 2:39 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:27 pm

Redeemed for my first TP 7 nites plus 120k AS miles last Monday.
Anyone knows how soon will the points post in AS account?
I am left with 70k spg points, May just transfer them to AS as well.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by myperks
45 minute wait on the phone to get a rep last night, 3 minute processing, email confirmation in another minute, and this morning the miles appeared in my UA acct. faster than before the merger.
I transferred to UA Sunday morning. Nothing here yet. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada. Takes longer to cross the border.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:11 pm

Can anyone confirm that these will be available for booking through Aug 15th or whenever the programs combine in Mid August?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:02 pm

I know this is a dumb question but what Phone # are you calling to book the TP certificates. I have called the phone number listed on the TP page twice and the associate has been unable to fulfill the request. Help.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:15 pm

800-3217396
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
This is a good breakdown, but I would add two things to this.

1.) For AC, I don't think it's too hard to extend your miles. a.) You can get the TD card and/or b.) AMEX MR are a partner and you can transfer over at any time. Both options will extend your expiration date.
2.) There is still pretty good value with AA miles too. In fact, I'd prefer AA miles over BA avios. Yes, the availability for their own flights are pretty bad, but there are some solid options on partner flights. Especially on EY, QR, CX, JL, and even IB. You do have to do a more legwork though and it pretty much always involves calling, but some good options for sure.
My favorite method to extend AC/AP miles is to transfer 1 Starpoint to AC/AP. I'm not sure this SPG Platinum benefit will survive the merger, though. For redemption on CX/JL, I wouldn't use AA miles since it's much cheaper and more flexible (for stopovers, etc.) to use AS miles.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: American/United/Emirates Marriott-Platinum Elite
Hello everyone,

Never purchased a travel package and have a question. I am interested in purchasing the United 7 night 1-5 +110K miles at the older rate of 250K. The property that I am interested is currently a category 6( 30,000) but according to the new chart it will decrease to a Category 4* at 25,0000 Its. Should I purchase this and have it un attached or purchase a different current cat 5 and then cancel. When are the hotel point changes going into effect.

*Update: the property will actually be a Category 4 at 25,000 points under the new Marriott structure,

Thanking you in advance from Pittsburgh!

Last edited by FLLTrade; Jul 31, 2018 at 3:05 pm Reason: category change
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by FLLTrade
Hello everyone,

Never purchased a travel package and have a question. I am interested in purchasing the United 7 night 1-5 +110K miles at the older rate of 250K. The property that I am interested is currently a category 6( 30,000) but according to the new chart it will decrease to a Category 5 at 25,0000 Its. Should I purchase this and have it un attached or purchase a different current cat 5 and then cancel. When are the hotel point changes going into effect.

Thanking you in advance from Pittsburgh!
Does the hotel drop to new cat 4 or 5? New cat 5 hotels will actually cost more points (35K points) starting on 8/18. You should buy the cat 6 TP and book the hotel before 8/18 if that's the case.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123
Can anyone confirm that these will be available for booking through Aug 15th or whenever the programs combine in Mid August?

Try to redeem before that date. There's no guarantee their website/backend won't break before that date or they change their mind and stop offering the packages.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:01 pm

Hello everyone,

Never purchased a travel package and have a question. I am interested in purchasing the United 7 night 1-5 +110K miles at the older rate of 250K. <snip>
If you're sure you want to get the TP at the current rate, and are looking primarily at the miles, I'd suggest you do it before midnight tonight. The original word was that the old chart pricing expired at midnight on 31 July, and that may still be the case. Marriott is obviously phasing things in, but we're not sure what has slipped and what has not. To be on the safe side, I'd redeem for the TP today to lock in the miles at the "old" rate.

<snp> The property that I am interested is currently a category 6( 30,000) but according to the new chart it will decrease to a Category 5 at 25,0000 Its. Should I purchase this and have it un attached or purchase a different current cat 5 and then cancel. When are the hotel point changes going into effect.
We don't know for sure when the hotel point changes take effect (at least, that's the latest I've heard), but the betting is on 18 August. There's also a question whether you'll actually be able to attach certificates to reservations up until 17 August; some say that may stop on 4 August.

However, I'm confused about the property you have in mind. You say it moves from a Cat 6 under the old chart at 30,000 points per night to Cat 5 at 25,000 points per night under the new chart, but as I read the new chart Cat 5 is 35,000 points per night. If you can tell us the name of the property, we could check, or you can go here and do so: https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change. Something doesn't seem right.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
My favorite method to extend AC/AP miles is to transfer 1 Starpoint to AC/AP. I'm not sure this SPG Platinum benefit will survive the merger, though. For redemption on CX/JL, I wouldn't use AA miles since it's much cheaper and more flexible (for stopovers, etc.) to use AS miles.
Fair point on the redemptions. Just that at least you have flexibility with AA if you were to transfer and couldn't find what you wanted with EY or QR. I like IB a lot too.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: American/United/Emirates Marriott-Platinum Elite
The property is Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & SpaRenaissanceItalyIn the current award chart it is a Cat 6 at 30,000 points. In the new chart it is a Cat. 4 at 25,000 pts.( I made an initial mistake thinking it was a Cat 5). So todays Cat 1-5 at 250 K + the 110K United miles interests me. The new award chart has the comparable award at 330K.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:41 pm

My AA miles from a TP purchased on 7/25 posted overnight. I needed AA miles for a specific redemption I had on hold and they came through in time.

Now I want to buy one more TP, purely on spec with no destination in mind, but can't decide what airline to use. All my current miles are with AA and BA, but I have enough Avios to last me quite a while. So I'm considering AS and UA. Being DC based, I guess UA makes sense, especially given the 10% Marriott bonus for UA, but the last time I had significant UA miles many years ago, award inventory sucked. I know AS is supposed to be the best value, but is that true from the DC area? Oh, and I'm only interested in flying up front, in Business or First Class.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by dhacker
My AA miles from a TP purchased on 7/25 posted overnight. I needed AA miles for a specific redemption I had on hold and they came through in time.

Now I want to buy one more TP, purely on spec with no destination in mind, but can't decide what airline to use. All my current miles are with AA and BA, but I have enough Avios to last me quite a while. So I'm considering AS and UA. Being DC based, I guess UA makes sense, especially given the 10% Marriott bonus for UA, but the last time I had significant UA miles many years ago, award inventory sucked. I know AS is supposed to be the best value, but is that true from the DC area? Oh, and I'm only interested in flying up front, in Business or First Class.
UA miles suck for me re: FC or BIZ awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.