Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:20 am

My thanks for all the information I have gleaned from this forum. Back in May I bought a cat 9 travel package and sent the miles to BA. There was no availability in 2019 for the hotel I wanted. Fortunately, availability just opened up for the Domes of Elounda and I was able to get my package extended til July, and snag a week first week of July with my wife and daughter. Without all the good info here I would not have known I could do this^
sinfonia, lexdevil and khlay like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
You do not need to call. I've cancelled several reservations with 7 night certificates. I had to attach on the phone, but for a cancellation the certificate goes back to your account perfectly fine.
hmmm, all reservations I have made using travel packages state that changes and cancelations require calling and can not be done on line.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
You do not need to call. I've cancelled several reservations with 7 night certificates. I had to attach on the phone, but for a cancellation the certificate goes back to your account perfectly fine.
Not sure if this is one of the recent changes. Previously, if you cancel your reservation with an attached TP certificate online, points (45K for cat 1-5, etc.) would be refunded to your account as if you cancelled the certificate as well. Currently confirmation emails as well as Marriott portal still explicitly tell you to call to modify or cancel, as previous poster said.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by mitchwebb
Can I downgrade a Cat 9 Cert to 1-5. I have to cancel our reservation we made using the certificate and will not be able to travel for at least a year.
Yes, you can, but you need to do it soon before 8/18.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by newkidandy
Newbie here!

Quick question/confirmation, can we book SPG hotels with the TP? For example, if I'm looking to book a 7-night vacation in Hawaii next summer, preferably to stay at one of the Westin Ka'anapali Villas, what would be my best option? I currently have about 360K marriott points.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Cheers all,
You can't book these legacy Starwood properties until 8/18 with the current TP certificate. Starting on 8/18, however, it's possible that the current certificates would be cancelled. So it's not a certainty that you would be able to book your hotel with a TP certificate. Besides, these Westin Ka'anapali villas will be in new cat 6 or cat 7 (for studio villas), no one really knows for certain what the lowest current category TP certificate could be used for it, even if they can be used at all. It's really a gamble.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Also need advice re: which airline to select

I am also struggling with which airlines to choose. Ideally, I would like to use these miles for a LAX-EVN trip (economy) but if no good option, am open to getting miles for something else.

The choices I am looking at for LAX-EVN are 120K miles on Delta (partners with Air France) which has horrendous availability, 85K miles on Air France which has good availability but still only 85K, and the 132K miles on United (partners with LOT Polish and Austrian) which has good availability but I know nothing about how LOT Polish or Austrian are. Any suggestions? Or should I just go with AS for the ability to take another cool trip somewhere with a stopover and leave my LAX-EVN trip out of this?

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you want to maximize your redemption, attach them. If you want to gamble let them float. Why do people refuse to see the difference between the value of the certificate and the redemptive value when it is attached? Greed?

Let me put it in easier terms!

I go into Costco and purchase a $100.00 Gift certificate for my favourite restaurant for $80.00 and later decide that I don't want it, when I return them to Costco, how much will I get back? Hint! It is NOT $100.00 yet so many believe that is what is owed to them? Why?

Here the value of the certificate is $80.00 and the redemptive value is $100.00. Likewise, the value of your floater certificate is 45K while the redemptive value is 7 nights in a Category 1-5 property when attached. Giving you back the 45K value is not a devaluation. You are getting back the certificate value. Your handfull of nights is as a result of you failing to redeem your certificates when you had the opportunity. Plain & Simple.

Good luck with the SCC! The only fault would be yours when not redeeming ("attaching") the certificate to maximize value when you had the opportunity to do so!

What ever you decide to do it up to you. However, you have no right to be angry if you decide to "float" into the New Program and the outcome is less than anticipated.

James

Let me ask you something? If i go to the travel agent and buy a Holiday with flights and 7 nights hotel for say $1000. Its valid for one year and if I don't use then its fair enough the travel agency gives me something back as I did not use it. They don't have to do that but hey its a bonus.

Now same situation. I buy a holiday and a couple weeks later the Travel agent says your flights are still intact but the hotel is only for one night now. I was given the commitment that it was 7 nights and valid for 1 year. They simply can't turn around 2 months later and say here is 1 night instead of your 7.

Just my 2 cents and I am sure a Small claims court judge would see similar.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by newkidandy
Newbie here!

Quick question/confirmation, can we book SPG hotels with the TP? For example, if I'm looking to book a 7-night vacation in Hawaii next summer, preferably to stay at one of the Westin Ka'anapali Villas, what would be my best option? I currently have about 360K marriott points.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Cheers all,
Originally Posted by tth6133
You can't book these legacy Starwood properties until 8/18 with the current TP certificate. Starting on 8/18, however, it's possible that the current certificates would be cancelled. So it's not a certainty that you would be able to book your hotel with a TP certificate. Besides, these Westin Ka'anapali villas will be in new cat 6 or cat 7 (for studio villas), no one really knows for certain what the lowest current category TP certificate could be used for it, even if they can be used at all. It's really a gamble.

I just made the same gamble, I had an 300K points so i didn't have much to lose. I am kinda hoping we get a "week" in between merger and TP conversion, but I am fearing it all happens the same day due to computer systems or whatnot. Either way i have my UA miles and whatever i get out of the TP is fine, although i will be slightly upset if i don't end up with the ability to stay a week on points somewhere (6 days worth of points ideally) but I am not going to cry if I don't. I knew i was gambling when I called in, and sometimes you roll snake eyes.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Let me ask you something? If i go to the travel agent and buy a Holiday with flights and 7 nights hotel for say $1000. Its valid for one year and if I don't use then its fair enough the travel agency gives me something back as I did not use it. They don't have to do that but hey its a bonus.

Now same situation. I buy a holiday and a couple weeks later the Travel agent says your flights are still intact but the hotel is only for one night now. I was given the commitment that it was 7 nights and valid for 1 year. They simply can't turn around 2 months later and say here is 1 night instead of your 7.

Just my 2 cents and I am sure a Small claims court judge would see similar.
That’s not an accurate analogy.

The correct analogy would be you go to a travel agent and buy an open-ended plane ticket and a hotel voucher valid for a 7-night stay at a hotel of your choosing from a set list of hotels, availability permitting. And then the travel agent says to you “your voucher is valid for one year but we’re going to modify the hotels list by date xxx, so please redeem your voucher before that date at one of our current partner hotels or we might have to cancel your voucher and refund you a yet to determined amount of money, might be more might be less than what you originally paid for the voucher. But for a hassle-free experience be sure to redeem the voucher by date xxx.”
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sinfonia
I am also struggling with which airlines to choose. Ideally, I would like to use these miles for a LAX-EVN trip (economy) but if no good option, am open to getting miles for something else.

The choices I am looking at for LAX-EVN are 120K miles on Delta (partners with Air France) which has horrendous availability, 85K miles on Air France which has good availability but still only 85K, and the 132K miles on United (partners with LOT Polish and Austrian) which has good availability but I know nothing about how LOT Polish or Austrian are. Any suggestions? Or should I just go with AS for the ability to take another cool trip somewhere with a stopover and leave my LAX-EVN trip out of this?

Thanks for the help.
Austrian is IMO a 4* airline, with some of the best food in the air. Staggered biz seating, not the best product out there, but perfectly fine. If you can get that flight in biz now (they usually have good availability 11 months out) and get your connection, I'd lock that in in a heartbeat. LOT a step down but has flat beds on 787s too.
sinfonia likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

The correct analogy would be you go to a travel agent and buy an open-ended plane ticket and a hotel voucher valid for a 7-night stay at a hotel of your choosing from a set list of hotels, availability permitting. And then the travel agent says to you “your voucher is valid for one year but we’re going to modify the hotels list by date xxx, so please redeem your voucher before that date at one of our current partner hotels or we might have to cancel your voucher and refund you a yet to determined amount of money, might be more might be less than what you originally paid for the voucher. But for a hassle-free experience be sure to redeem the voucher by date xxx.”
Except the "travel agent" didn't say anything to you. Have holders of existing unattached travel packages been advised anything?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

That's a far more ridiculous analogy than the person you are replying to.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
That's a far more ridiculous analogy than the person you are replying to.
For someone who posts such a ridiculous reply you’re pretty swift in qualifying other people’s posts
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Points Poppa
Except the "travel agent" didn't say anything to you. Have holders of existing unattached travel packages been advised anything?
Also, MPG is still selling travel packages and not telling customers that what they are purchasing might be worth far less than it is currently. Regardless of the legality of doing so, such an action would not be viewed charitably.

One solution that might work is to refund points equal to the difference between a Cat 5 and currently held packages. Then issue a voucher with a value of up to 150K that can be used on a single 7-night stay. That would be easy to implement and wouldn’t disadvantage current holders.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by entrada

hmmm, all reservations I have made using travel packages state that changes and cancelations require calling and can not be done on line.

Just canceled the hotel reservations that i had attached the certs to and did it online. Certs are already back in the account. Easy peezy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.