Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:49 am

A different question: I want to stay at the Marriott County Hall hotel in London for 4 nights in Aug. 2019. The booking calendar only goes into early July 2019. Should I book 5 nights @45k=180k now using points alone for July 2019 (getting no air miles) and as soon that I can move the date as the calendar opens for Aug. 2019 (without having to pay more points since the rates will have increased)…. Or would it be better for me to book a 7 night vacation package @390k for this category 9 Marriott, taking the 132K United miles now, reserving 7 nights in July 2019, and hoping that as the calendar opens I will be able to move the 7 nights into August once available, even though I’m only going to use 5 nights (without having to pay more points since the rates will have increased). Which makes better sense assuming booking these before Aug. 1...or Aug. 17, 2018. Also if I cannot book 7 consecutive nights, does that mean I will not be able to use any of the package? If I can book 7 consecutive nights, is it OK if I only use the first 5 nights without penalty, losing of course the final 2 nights.

Last edited by tarkaboy; Jul 27, 2018 at 5:50 am Reason: not sufficient
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I go into Costco and purchase a $100.00 Gift certificate for my favourite restaurant for $80.00 and later decide that I don't want it, when I return them to Costco, how much will I get back? Hint! It is NOT $100.00 yet so many believe that is what is owed to them? Why?
If the restaurant (NOT YOU) decides that your $100 certificate is now only good for $80 worth of food, what would you think and do? On the other hand, if it offers you the OPTION of either $80 in cash or $100 worth of food (perhaps at inflated price), you'd probably be okay with that, because YOU have the OPTION.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by tarkaboy
A different question: I want to stay at the Marriott County Hall hotel in London for 4 nights in Aug. 2019. The booking calendar only goes into early July 2019. Should I book 5 nights @45k=180k now using points alone for July 2019 (getting no air miles) and as soon that I can move the date as the calendar opens for Aug. 2019 (without having to pay more points since the rates will have increased). Or would it be better for me to book a 7 night vacation package @390k for this category 9 Marriott, taking the 132K United miles now, reserving 7 nights in July 2019, and hoping that as the calendar opens I will be able to move the 7 nights into August once available, even though Im only going to use 5 nights (without having to pay more points since the rates will have increased). Which makes better sense assuming booking these before Aug. 1...or Aug. 17, 2018. Also if I cannot book 7 consecutive nights, does that mean I will not be able to use any of the package? If I can book 7 consecutive nights, is it OK if I only use the first 5 nights without penalty, losing of course the final 2 nights.
Yes you can use 7 night certificate on a 5 night reservation. I have done it before w/o issues.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I do not see why people expect greater points than residual value ....I had to return my 7nt, Cat 6 certif. because of a hurricane; Marriott extended it 1 year, but health prevented my second trip. Marriott returned 75k points (I understand Cat 1-5 returns yield 45k points). Why should Marriott now return more than that for floaters / unassigned certifs.? We already get the air miles up front.

Well, for one reason
I bought my cert prior to merger because lurker said it was the best value and it was, but I want to attach to a Westin that will be cat 6 after the merger. At that point if it is converted to 75K points, I can stay 1.5 nights. As long as whatever is done allows me to stay 7 nights at a cat 6 Westin after the conversion, I am fine with.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:31 am

Just redeemed 5 7-night TP and the call was picked up in 20 seconds and all was done in 10 minutes. Points are gone from my account and I decided to attach to the same hotel I frequent to. I verified all reservations have certificate attached to them but strangely I am still seeing two unused certificate. I am waiting for CC statement to close so that I can do one more float. Hope I won't regret it.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Well, for one reason
I bought my cert prior to merger because lurker said it was the best value and it was, but I want to attach to a Westin that will be cat 6 after the merger. At that point if it is converted to 75K points, I can stay 1.5 nights. As long as whatever is done allows me to stay 7 nights at a cat 6 Westin after the conversion, I am fine with.
Well, Lurker also said that unattached TPs will be cancelled and equivalent points (meaning to be determined sometime in the future) would
be refunded. What on earth made you think you could buy a pre-merger Marriott TP and use it for a 7 night post-merger stay at a SPG property ?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:32 am

I do not see why people expect greater points than residual value ....I had to return my 7nt, Cat 6 certif. because of a hurricane; Marriott extended it 1 year, but health prevented my second trip. Marriott returned 75k points (I understand Cat 1-5 returns yield 45k points). Why should Marriott now return more than that for floaters / unassigned certifs.? We already get the air miles up front.
Nonsense. If I have in my possession a certificate worth 7 nights in a hotel I have a right to redeem it for that. The residual value has no relevance unless I choose to forgo that value in lieu of points. Unilaterally cancelling certs and returning the residual value is nothing like that.

I have no clue why certain people seem so insistent on this facially absurd position.
Counsellor and RafKa like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Well, for one reason
If you are confirmed at the Westin now, would not Marriott still honor that the merger?

Last edited by bdschobel; Jul 27, 2018 at 8:24 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:52 am

If you are confirmed at the Westin now, would not Marriott still honor that the merger?
You can't book a Westin now (or any time before 8/18) with your TP certificate. And we don't know what will happen to TP certificates post 8/18.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

Well, Lurker also said that unattached TPs will be cancelled and “equivalent points” (meaning to be determined sometime in the future) would
be refunded. What on earth made you think you could buy a pre-merger Marriott TP and use it for a 7 night post-merger stay at a SPG property ?
I had an extra 300K points I could gamble with....

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Nonsense. If I have in my possession a certificate worth 7 nights in a hotel I have a right to redeem it for that. The residual value has no relevance unless I choose to forgo that value in lieu of points. Unilaterally cancelling certs and returning the residual value is nothing like that.

I have no clue why certain people seem so insistent on this facially absurd position.
exactly

Can't confirm at Westin as you can't "float" SPG properties, you have to have enough points in order to make the reservation. Marriott, you can
As far as putting in on the reservation post merger, no one can answer, I have asked.
I was kind of hoping there would be a 2 week grace time or something to allow it, but it **seems** that on Aug 18 in order to sync everything up and combine points etc, they have to be liquidated.

Originally Posted by tth6133
You can't book a Westin now (or any time before 8/18) with your TP certificate. And we don't know what will happen to TP certificates post 8/18.
Exactly, but I was willing to gamble, interested as everyone else to see how it plays out
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
The difference being you had two years to use your certs, what about certs that are only 3 or 6 or 8 months old? Clearly you can see a discrepancy between your situation and one that others may be in.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I have attached a floater Cat 7 cert with a dummy booking as far out as possible, with that hotel moving to new Cat 6 ..... Hoping that the post 18/8 that cert attached will become new Cat 6.

Maybe that's what Lurker mentioned to attach for maximum value.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I have attached a floater Cat 7 cert with a dummy booking as far out as possible, with that hotel moving to new Cat 6 ..... Hoping that the post 18/8 that cert attached will become new Cat 6.

Maybe that's what Lurker mentioned to attach for maximum value.
We can all fantasize... The reality is you can't even do that today. If you attached a (current) certificate to a hotel, which became a higher category hotel later, and you then decided to cancel the reservation, you don’t get back a certificate corresponding to the higher category. You can’t even transfer your reservation to another hotel in the same higher category. Marriott's system today already prevents this sort of things and I don't see that will change post 8/18.

BTW, what Lurker said was that you should attach your certificate to "maximize its usage" . "Usage" isn't the same as "value".
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:50 am

Heads up, Redeem by 8/3.https://samchui.com/2018/07/27/marri...able-august-3/

Last edited by sgan317; Jul 27, 2018 at 8:15 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:12 am

Your link pointed to a wrong article. Here's the corrected one:
https://samchui.com/2018/07/27/marri...able-august-3/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.