Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
So while I'd prefer to have 450K Marriott points, I think I'm getting three "new" Cat 1-4 + refunded points for any upgraded beyond current Cat 1-5.
I had not considered that possibility. That would be a pretty clean way to give everyone 100% equivalent value. Perhaps the simplest thing of all to code.

My only complaint (now) is the inability to upgrade, extend, book, attach, etc. Travel Package certs online. The fact that you have to call to upgrade a certificate is annoying. But...separate issue...
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=pinniped;30012726]Has Marriott issued any kind of public statement about the current phone support situation? Or are they taking the time-honored approach of not acknowledging that a major systemic problem exists at all?[/QUOTE]

This. I called 3 times today. The first 2 times after listening over 30 min finally got a human but the first call was disconnected by itself., and the second call required a transfer, and more hold time, then it too, disconnected when a rep was talking to me. BTW said rep greeted me with Good Evening. You can guess he is not North America based and when I jokingly pointed this out, he sheepishly agreed. Unfortunately before I was able to finish my question, the phone went dead.

3rd call took similar 40 min hold but this time got a SLC based rep. She still needed to check with supervisor on my question - a supposedly expedited AS delivery is still a no show in my account. I just worried if the rep who did it had taken down the correct AS number, given on Jul 18, someone posted here that he paid $15 for expedite delivery at 1pm EST and when he checked his AS account at 6pm EST, the miles were there. Mine was initiated on Jul 22nd Sunday and were told 48 hours would be the max time. I dont need the expedite delivery but since it is offered and fee waived, why not? Turns out it is not expedited at all.

Apart from the phone system issues, the competence or the quality of the reps is very problematic. 2 of my friends have really horrible incidents caused by extremely incompetent reps.

2 days ago one friend had to call back 5 times to get a mistakenly redeemed package fixed and got back the points.

The friend called last night just to attach a cert to an existing reservation. He has a cert and a reservation. You would think this is the simplest task to perform ...

The rep redeemed a new 50K package instead. I think my friend was too naive when the rep asked him what airline / FFP number - none of that is needed to attach a cert. From what he described to me, myriad of alarm bells went off but he failed to catch it.
I myself have to end a few calls when very obviously the reps on the other end have no clue at all.

Called me paranoid, I only transferred just enough pts for 1 package, redeemed it then transferred another batch. Even so, when I called today, asking the rep to check on the AS package done on July 22nd, she still said, you have redeemed 2 packages, what do you need me to check on? That is AFTER I clearly told her to look at the July 22nd redemption. Reps dont listen, that is a big problem too.

Such issues also compound the phone system problems as there are so many mistakes made and people have to call back to get the mistakes fixed.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:38 pm

Revised program merger date of Aug 18th. Start the speculation on if TPs can still be ordered up until that point.....
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:01 pm

Advice kindly sought — (current) Air + Travel Package

Firstly, many thanks for reading this — I do appreciate it.

Would anyone be able to advise me on the following? I have a Tier 4-5 Hotel certificate. I ideally would like to use this for a seven night stay in November 2019 at a R-C hotel, but appreciate that this is beyond a year out. If I booked a seven night stay at my preferred hotel NOW for just under a year out (say, for June 2019) BUT THEN TRIED TO ALTER THE BOOKING FOR NOVEMBER 2019 (WHENEVER THAT BOOKING WINDOW OPENS UP, PERHAPS IN DECEMBER 2018), would this work? I.e. If I use a certificate now, would I be able to change the booking dates in the future, especially given the impending August change to the Marriott program?

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

All the best.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'd say this is a greater-than-zero chance...just really unlikely. Since it's effectively a one-time gift to the member, it's possible that Marriott lets in slide in the spirit of simplicity.

Still seems unlikely. Can't be that hard to code a simple translation batch program that reissues certificates at the equivalent or closest available "new" points level. Today's Cat 7 is tomorrow's Cat 5. If we're lucky, today's Cat 6 also becomes tomorrow's Cat 5 - that's the mini-bonus scenario that *could* happen.
Except the fact that Starwood Lurker has said on many occasions that certificates will be converted to "equivalent points", so the chance of a category conversion is 0%. Some of the people in this thread really ought to visit the SPG forum.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:30 pm

If you believe this, https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...044.1523022008, Marriott still doesn't know what's happening with these certificates.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Except the fact that Starwood Lurker has said on many occasions that certificates will be converted to "equivalent points", so the chance of a category conversion is 0%. Some of the people in this thread really ought to visit the SPG forum.
Today's Cat 5 to future Cat 4 would meet the spirit of equivalent points.
Today's Cat 6 to future Cat 5 also meets the spirit of equivalent points with a bit of a bonus for the member. It's not exactly equivalent, but it's slightly in our favor so nobody is going to complain.
Today's Cat 6 to future Cat 4 would not meet the spirit of equivalent points. People would complain, unless there's a refund of points to make the member whole.
Today's Cat 5 to 150,000 points in my account would also meet the spirit of equivalent points, but that would be so generous that I'm not really expecting it to happen.
Today's Cat 5 to 45,000 points would not meet the spirit of equivalent points. I don't think Marriott is even considering this except in conjunction with other options as a "what happens a year from now if you haven't used or extended your TP."
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by pinniped
Today's Cat 6 to future Cat 4 would not meet the spirit of equivalent points. People would complain, unless there's a refund of points to make the member whole AND the points can be used to upgrade the new certificates
FTFY
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Official merger date is now August 18th. DoC says TPs available at current pricing through August 17. FT Announcement here.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
If you believe this, https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...044.1523022008, Marriott still doesn't know what's happening with these certificates.
The quote in that article suggests they're close, that they recognize the value the certificates hold to people, and that the conversion requires a tech solution that apparently isn't straightforward.

I interpret that to mean it isn't a universal cancellation of certificates, either at 150k or 45k points. They're testing a solution that involves the certificates remaining certificates, but don't have it ready yet. If they just wanted to kill all the certs and refund points (whether miserly or generously), I could probably write that code myself in a few hours...
pilgrim likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
I believe it. Marriott would surely like a less costly solution. The only problem is that all the less costly solutions are complex and not easy to implement technologically. I'm sure IT is the reason Marriott has put off for 2 weeks the launch date of the new combined program.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
FTFY
Well, you'd need *more* points to upgrade the certs - that's sort of the reason for the refund to begin with. Your "old" cert was between two "new" categories. e.g., They'd turn your Old 6 into a New 4 and put 30,000 points in your account. But you'd need 60,000 to make your New 4 a New 5.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: -
You might be able to be granted a one-time extension to your certificate if you haven't done this before. Make sure you have recent stay activities and call Marriott.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:12 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
One more data point of phone issues....

Attempt #1 - 4:50 PM (EST) - Called 801 area code number - say "redeem rewards points" then "new reservation" then "associate" - hold for 8 minutes - get a rep in Ireland who has no idea what I'm asking her to do. Suggests I call back tomorrow to the 801 area code number.
Attempt #2 - 5:03 PM (EST) - Called 801 area code number - say "redeem rewards points" - hold 8 minutes - get a US-based rep who tells me she has to transfer me to Elite Services - transfer to Elite Services - explain request/provide info - hold another 16 minutes - comes back and says it's booked.

I was surprised to learn that the AA miles will take 1-2 weeks to post.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:28 pm

Gold status

Hi there, this is unrelated question. I have Gold status via spg match and I have a reservation on August 17th for 5 nights. My status is due for a downgrade on the 18th for obvious reasons. Do I get lounge benefits if I get upgraded at check in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.