Marriott Travel Packages

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Slickw
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART


Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
************
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jul 25, 18, 3:22 am
  #4156  
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SNA/LAX
Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Plat Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Posts: 5,587
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Because it's insane. Most people (aside from obsessed few) who get cat 1-5 cert valid through smth 2019 expect to redeem it at cat 5. They will open marriott directory and try to book cat 5 hotel. If marriott starts telling all of them them that cat 1-5 cert is not valid for cat 5 property it's gonna get ugly.
From Dan's Deals:



Last edited by Kalboz; Jul 25, 18 at 4:18 am
Kalboz is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 3:41 am
  #4157  
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: australia
Posts: 4,780
xxxxx

Last edited by 3544quebec; Jul 25, 18 at 3:42 am Reason: dementia
3544quebec is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 4:31 am
  #4158  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Posts: 11,237
I simply can't see them taking away our 7 nights and giving us points worth 1-2 nights instead. Either turn the voucher into 7 nights at a similar level in the new program or give us the points back so we can book 7 nights. I have 4 vouchers and if they do devalue them and I end up with only a handful of nights I personally will be taking them to SCC.
imverge likes this.
onlysuites is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 5:56 am
  #4159  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: LAX
Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Posts: 1,388
Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
I have 4 vouchers and if they do devalue them and I end up with only a handful of nights I personally will be taking them to SCC.
Or try to be a class plaintiff in one of the actions that will inevitably be filed if they flat out try to screw customers on certificates that on their face are valid for 1 year from issuance.
imverge likes this.
KosherKimchee is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 5:57 am
  #4160  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 266
While Marriott certainly has the right to change their rewards program how they see fit, changing an existing certificate good for a specified service--for example, nights at a hotel--with a defined value and expiration date is a different situation. Cancelling them and giving a small fraction of current value would be more akin to cancelling a gift certificate before its expiration date and giving a fraction of the value back in company script.
Counsellor and imverge like this.
OssianBlue is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 7:03 am
  #4161  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto (YYZ)
Posts: 6,104
Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
I simply can't see them taking away our 7 nights and giving us points worth 1-2 nights instead. Either turn the voucher into 7 nights at a similar level in the new program or give us the points back so we can book 7 nights. I have 4 vouchers and if they do devalue them and I end up with only a handful of nights I personally will be taking them to SCC.
I will also be taking Marriott to small claims court if they decide to not honour the 7 nights. Marriott T&C can state all it wants about changing the program but just because you print it doesn't make it legal and will hold up in court.
imverge is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 7:17 am
  #4162  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,153
Originally Posted by OssianBlue View Post
While Marriott certainly has the right to change their rewards program how they see fit, changing an existing certificate good for a specified service--for example, nights at a hotel--with a defined value and expiration date is a different situation. Cancelling them and giving a small fraction of current value would be more akin to cancelling a gift certificate before its expiration date and giving a fraction of the value back in company script.
You reminded me to grab a screenshot of my certificates, just in case...
craigthemif is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 9:00 am
  #4163  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: At an airport-on a cruise ship
Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
Posts: 4,171
Originally Posted by Willbur View Post
The Marriott FAQ clearly say that free nights from the credit cards will be converted to points-based certificate. Is the assumption part that they'd be worth 60k? They have stated that the anniversary certs will be certs of the highest-redemption point value of the current points system. I think it's a fairly safe bet that they'll be similar but I guess it's possible they'd reduce them to some lower point amount but that just wouldn't make sense since they're currently worth up to 60k/night stays.
The email that I just received about new credit card benefits state the free night is worth up to 35k. That is the top value it is worth. My husband received the same email for his Marriott CC,
cruisr is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 9:22 am
  #4164  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 32
hi all, looking for some advice.

I have a ton of AMEX points - 390k, which currently would convert to 195k starwood points (Amex Canada)

Combined with existing starwood poiints, i ahve enough MRP for about 3 top tier or close to top tier travel packages. I ahve one that I need to use on a current category 8 booking for stay in August.

I'm in Canada, so am typically used to using aeroplan for airline stuff. However, I see UA and AA often being used as well.

I'm wondering if i should send all to aeroplan, or diversify to the others? Any advice is appreciated!
AdeAhmed is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 9:39 am
  #4165  
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SNA/LAX
Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Plat Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Posts: 5,587
Originally Posted by AdeAhmed View Post
hi all, looking for some advice.

I have a ton of AMEX points - 390k, which currently would convert to 195k starwood points (Amex Canada)

Combined with existing starwood poiints, i ahve enough MRP for about 3 top tier or close to top tier travel packages. I ahve one that I need to use on a current category 8 booking for stay in August.

I'm in Canada, so am typically used to using aeroplan for airline stuff. However, I see UA and AA often being used as well.

I'm wondering if i should send all to aeroplan, or diversify to the others? Any advice is appreciated!
I'd convert these to SPG and then on to SQ - 485K SQ miles can get you two RT tickets in Biz or better anywhere SQ flies.

Forget about AS or UA where the availability is really miserable and hotel rooms can always be had at a discount.
Kalboz is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 9:57 am
  #4166  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by Kalboz View Post
I'd convert these to SPG and then on to SQ - 485K SQ miles can get you two RT tickets in Biz or better anywhere SQ flies.

Forget about AS or UA where the availability is really miserable and hotel rooms can always be had at a discount.
SQ = singapore airlines?
are you saying skip travel package all together? or get a travel package with SQ, max miles?

485k SQ seems like alot - it doesnt seem they fly from Toronto, which is where I am, lol
AdeAhmed is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 10:03 am
  #4167  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 993
Originally Posted by imverge View Post
I will also be taking Marriott to small claims court if they decide to not honour the 7 nights. Marriott T&C can state all it wants about changing the program but just because you print it doesn't make it legal and will hold up in court.
I wouldn't be concerned. MR is going to honor your 7 nights 100 % for sure.
HHonors OUTSIDER is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 10:04 am
  #4168  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: DTW
Posts: 76
Picked up two TP's. The first is a cat 6 (assigned) and the second is a cat 1-5 (floater). The CSR knew exactly how to handle everything and sounded very experienced at this. Also asked a couple of questions. The first is what happens to floaters after the merger. Her response was they will stay in the account as is until we decide what to do with it. At that time we will need to do a points adjustment based on what we book. The second question was when is the merger going to happen. She said they were originally told August 1 but are now being told it's being moved back a week or two.
pilgrim likes this.
blackhat_3_6 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 11:03 am
  #4169  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by tth6133 View Post
That's another issue that we don't yet have the definitive answer on. We can all speculate, but it would be off-topic for this thread.
Although I agree it's a little off topic, it is still very relevant to everyone interested in this thread. This is because, if you have enough points for a TP, you also have enough points to redeem 5 or more nights at a Category 8 property at Category 7 rates. I think people should strongly examine whether it makes sense to do a TP or to wait redeem for what could be a very lucrative hotel stay (or even book out ahead of time and request a points refund - another option)
ahbitheman is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 11:18 am
  #4170  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN AList CP, MR PLT, HH DIA, SPG PLT, IHG SPI
Posts: 1,320
Originally Posted by imverge View Post
I will also be taking Marriott to small claims court if they decide to not honour the 7 nights. Marriott T&C can state all it wants about changing the program but just because you print it doesn't make it legal and will hold up in court.
Judge: Did MR make you whole by refunding you the amount of miles spent on the package minus the number of airlines miles?
You: Yes
Judge: Case dismissed. NEXT!
MileageGoblin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread