Marriott Travel Packages

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Slickw
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jul 24, 18, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ahbi Chang View Post
Are we still set to have Category 8 hotels including all suite SPG hotels become bookable for 60,000 points in August? I have enough points for either a travel package or 5 nights at one of these luxury properties. I'd rather the nights as I already have a lot of air miles I'd like to use up
That's another issue that we don't yet have the definitive answer on. We can all speculate, but it would be off-topic for this thread.
Old Jul 24, 18, 2:59 pm

I also did an attahced yesterday cateogry 9, but will do an unattahced cateogry 9 as well. This vagueness is very annoying.
Old Jul 24, 18, 3:47 pm

I have only one 7 night travel certificate which is for a CAT 6
I am leaning towards to redeeming for a post August Cat 5 hotel in November or December 2018. The hotel will be downgraded from Cat 6 to 5.

Is the best strategy to keep my CAT 6 certificate or call to downgrade to CAT 1-5 ?

Last edited by metoo; Jul 24, 18 at 4:01 pm
Old Jul 24, 18, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by metoo View Post
I have only one 7 night travel certificate which is for a CAT 6
I am leaning towards to redeeming for a post August Cat 5 hotel in November or December 2018. The hotel will be downgraded from Cat 6 to 5.

Is the best strategy to keep my CAT 6 certificate or call to downgrade to CAT 1-5 ?
It's NOT a downgrade from the current cat-6 (30K/night) to the new cat-5 (35K/night). The new cat-5 costs MORE points. If I were you, I'd attach the cat-6 certificate NOW before it's too late.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Jul 24, 18, 4:46 pm

It is the renaissance Hong Kong from
40k to 35k points post August .
my present cat 6 can not purchase this

if it doesn’t seem like I have a good chance of booking the Renaissance, should I upgrade to cat 7 or downgrade to cat 1-5
Old Jul 24, 18, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Not sure what your intention is.

Someone posted either here or in the comment sections of one of many blog write ups on the Marriott TP that it is $20 fee to cancel a TP redemption. So your $20 fee may be related to that, and not an expedite fee to AS, as that should be $15.

I dont know how a "downgrade" from a Cat 6 to a Cat 5 redemption would work. Others have done and read your post can provide more information.
You can cancel the current hotel booking part of your Cat 6, presumably get back a cert of 75K description - presumably it is 45K + 30K = 75K in total. If you cancel that cert, that is exactly what you get, at current structure. Nobody knows what is going to be on August 1st going forward.
Wild speculations have been thrown around on how many points one would get back on the unattached certs. You can take a gamble as some are as wild as 25K x 6 for Cat 5, 30K x 6 for Cat 6, so on so forth. Will Marriott be so generous on an already very generous TP especially due to the SPG 1 to 3? That is the gamble you need to decide whether to take a bet on.
Curious on why you need to expedite the transder to AK?
Old Jul 24, 18, 5:07 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl., Accor-Plat., Former FPC-Plat.
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
It takes longer to transfer to AK than some other airlines. In my case, the rep did it w/o asking. The fee was refunded on my next call.
Old Jul 24, 18, 5:16 pm

if it doesn’t seem like I have a good chance of booking the Renaissance, should I upgrade to cat 7 or downgrade to cat 1-5
I'd upgrade the certificate to cat-7, in case the certificate is converted to points-based post August (it doesn't matter which certificate you own if refunded in points).
Old Jul 24, 18, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluemeansgo View Post
<br /><br />The Marriott CSR mentioned this to me and said it was fee waived for Plat. So why not? Though it does not seem any expedition to me. IIRC AS posts each Wed. If it is really expedited then I should see the miles tomorrow. Or at the end it would be next Wed when no expedition is performed.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 24, 18 at 5:55 pm
Old Jul 24, 18, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you realize the "number" of category in the new chart does not mean the same category in the old chart? Why would people still get confused by this?

Your current Cat 6 is for hotel at 30K per night. The new Cat 5 from August 1st is for hotel at 35K per night. Look, the new Cat 5 costs more pts than the current Cat 6. Just how you can "downgrade" your current Cat 6 to a current Cat 5 and then be able to redeem the Ren at 35K/night category comes August 1st?

If you really want the Ren. as suggested by tth6133, you need minimum a Cat 7 cert in the current chart assuming old attached certs would be converted to point-based certs at the same point levels.
Old Jul 24, 18, 6:51 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by jesswright1984 View Post
I also did an attahced yesterday cateogry 9, but will do an unattahced cateogry 9 as well. This vagueness is very annoying.
This "hint" is to attach them , If it was me I would do that with a property moving up in points required even if you don't intend to stay there.
Old Jul 24, 18, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS 75k, Kimpton Inner Circle, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, Loews Gold, LQ Gold
Please correct me if I am wrong in this scenario: We want to stay at a SPG property in HI next summer that will be Cat 5. If I get a Cat 5 MTP now and attach it to a Marriott property that is currently 25k and going up to 35k (is currently Cat 5 and will be Cat 5 in August) we could possibly transfer that to the Cat 5 Starwood property after the August conversion. It may also be possible if we did the Marriott reservation and cancel we could be given points equivalent to the amount to book a new Cat 5. I realize this is speculation and hedging a bet, but I wanted to try to make a safer bet...
Old Jul 24, 18, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by macs4us View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong in this scenario: We want to stay at a SPG property in HI next summer that will be Cat 5. If I get a Cat 5 MTP now and attach it to a Marriott property that is currently 25k and going up to 35k (is currently Cat 5 and will be Cat 5 in August) we could possibly transfer that to the Cat 5 Starwood property after the August conversion. It may also be possible if we did the Marriott reservation and cancel we could be given points equivalent to the amount to book a new Cat 5.
Those are both incredibly speculative theories. Might work, but I wouldn't plan a vacation around it.
Old Jul 24, 18, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH G, MAR back to lowly Silver,
How long does it take for miles to appear in AA once travel package is arranged?
Old Jul 24, 18, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by vandesa View Post
How long does it take for miles to appear in AA once travel package is arranged?
About 2 business days.

Search this Thread