Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:25 pm

I feel pretty confident the legacy hotel categories will not be used for anything after the merge.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
So my guess will be that these floater certificates will remain in people's accounts and be attachable up to the expiration date based on the legacy category (pre Aug 1 category). So it will be manual process wherein you call customer service and say I have a Cat 1-5 cert I want to use, the rep will say 'Ok, this is based on the old Cat 1 - 5 categories, which hotel are you looking to apply this to?" and then based on the response, they'll look at the legacy categories and apply the cert.
So they wouldn't be usable at SPG hotels?

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
After Aug 1 2019, all the legacy certs will have expired and then Marriott can do a across the board devaluation for all the properties which we expect anyways.
They've already done one devaluation earlier this year, and are adjusting categories going in to the new program, so I'm not sure why you're expecting another devaluation (beyond the general devaluations that always happen).
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
MR to MR transfers

The systems are still down. The exec told me they don't know when the System will be up- might even take as long as a week. I smell something funny
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:45 am

I would like to book the Marriot travel package with the 7 night certificate for a stay in Courtyard Hong Kong before August 1, 2019This will be a room with one bed.

I would like to add my brother's name on as additional guest.

He will be going with his girlfriend.

Would they both have the elite benefits of lounge and breakfast if I am not there?

Last edited by metoo; Jul 22, 2018 at 8:07 am
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:57 am

Elite benefits are only available for the member.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:25 am

I apologize if this is a stupid question.

I have a "floater" TP category 1-5 certificate in my account. It is over a year old; I called and got the expiration date extended some time ago. Is there a way to attach that certificate to a reservation made on-line or do I have to call to do that? I've looked and don't see a place to attach it.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by zachary
I apologize if this is a stupid question.

I have a "floater" TP category 1-5 certificate in my account. It is over a year old; I called and got the expiration date extended some time ago. Is there a way to attach that certificate to a reservation made on-line or do I have to call to do that? I've looked and don't see a place to attach it.
You need to call.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: SPG HHonors
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Marriott already gave us a huge hint, TP devaluation is coming up! So, get your travel packages and and make sure you attach them to specific properties (don't leave them floating):

Marriott will handle these certificates generously after August. Announcing that they will do so would create a massive amount of demand for the current certificates. By lack of info, they will keep demand down until its too late to buy the current certificates. I dont think they would keep selling packages today if they planned on pulling the rug out from underneath everyone. I also believe Marriott will continue to allow people to upgrade and downgrade categories after August 1st.
Newbie question on these TPs. If I attach my Category 1-5 cert to a specific property now, can I change it later? Are there any Cat 5 properties that we know will later be LESS valuable that I should avoid in terms of choosing which property to attach the cert to?

Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:35 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by ScottTexas
If I attach my Category 1-5 cert to a specific property now, can I change it later?
Will Marriott continue to allow people to upgrade and downgrade categories using the existing award chart if they want to make changes after August? Still not clear - my thoughts are that they should allow this for at least one year. But this is just an assumption on my part unless someone else knows the answer.
Are there any Cat 5 properties that we know will later be LESS valuable that I should avoid in terms of choosing which property to attach the cert to?
Here is a sample list of hotel category changes. You can search for all hotels here.

[Source: Dan's Deals]
  • Aloft Beachwood, OH, now 21K (SPG category 3), will be 12.5K (Combined category 2)
  • Sheraton Eatontown, NJ, now 21K (SPG category 3), will be 17.5K (Combined category 3)
  • Residence Inn Miami Beach Surfside, now 30K (Marriott category 6), will be 25K (Combined category 4)
  • Courtyard King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach, now 35K (Marriott category 7), will be 25K (Combined category 4)
  • New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, now 40K (Marriott category 8), will be 35K (Combined category 5)
  • Atlantis, Coral Towers, Bahamas, now 40K (Marriott category 8), will be 35K (Combined category 5)
  • Ritz-Carlton Cleveland, now 40K (Ritz tier 2), will be 35K (Combined category 5)
  • Residence Inn Beverly Hills, now 40K (Marriott category 8), will be 35K (Combined category 5)
  • Turnberry Isle Miami, now 40K (Marriott category 8), will be 35K (Combined category 5)
  • JW Marriott Phuket, now 40K (Marriott category 8), will be 35K (Combined category 5)
  • Renaissance Aruba, now 40K (Marriott category 8), will be 35K (Combined category 5)
  • Sheraton Kauai, now 36K (SPG category 5), will be 35K (Combined category 6)
  • Westin Harbour Castle Toronto, now 36K (SPG category 5), will be 35K (Combined category 6)
  • Westin Sydney, now 36K (SPG category 5), will be 35K (Combined category 6)
  • Le Mridien Tahiti, now 36K (SPG category 5), will be 35K (Combined category 6)
  • Westin Lagunamar Cancun, now 60K (SPG category 6), will be 50K (Combined category 6)
  • Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami, now 60K (Ritz tier 4), will be 50K (Combined category 6)
  • St. Regis Langkawi, now 60K (SPG category 6), will be 50K (Combined category 6)
  • W Singapore – Sentosa, now 60K (SPG category 6), will be 50K (Combined category 6)
  • Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, now 60K (SPG category 6), will be 50K (Combined category 6)
  • Sheraton Maui, now 60K (SPG category 6), will be 50K (Combined category 6)
  • Westin Maui, now 60K (SPG category 6), will be 50K (Combined category 6)
  • Sheraton Tel Aviv Hotel, now 60K (SPG category 6), will be 50K (Combined category 6)
  • Elma Arts Zichron Ya’akov, now 60K (SPG category 6), will be 50K (Combined category 6)
  • Westin Tokyo, now 60K (SPG category 6), will be 50K (Combined category 6)
  • S. Regis Mexico City, now 60K (SPG category 6), will be 50K (Combined category 6)
  • Ritz-Carlton South Beach, now 70K (Ritz tier 5), will be 60K (Combined category 7)
  • S. Regis New York, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • W South Beach, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • S. Regis Bal Harbour, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • Gritti Palace Venice, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • S. Regis San Francisco, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7)
  • W Bali, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7)
  • Las Alcobas Napa Valley, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7)
  • G. Rough Rome, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • Htel de Berri Paris, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • Parklane Cyprus, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • Wellesley Knightsbridge London, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • S. Regis Aspen, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • S. Regis Bali, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • S. Regis Princeville, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • S. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • S. Regis Deer Valley Park City, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • S. Regis Florence, now 90K (SPG category 7), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • Vana Belle Koh Samui, now 120K+ (SPG all suites category), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • Naka Island Phuket, now 120K+ (SPG all suites category), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • Le Mridien Bora Bora, now 180K+ (SPG all suites category), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • S. Regis Bora Bora, now 270K+ (SPG all suites category), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • S. Regis Maldives, now 270K+ (SPG all suites category), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • W Maldives, now 270K+ (SPG all suites category), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • W Koh Samui, now 180K+ (SPG all suites category), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • Al Maha Dubai, now 180K+ (SPG all suites category), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
  • Mystique Santorini, Greece, now 180K+ (SPG all suites category), will be 60K (Combined category 7) in August, will be 85K in February (Combined category 8)
ScottTexas likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Newbie question on these TPs. If I attach my Category 1-5 cert to a specific property now, can I change it later? Are there any Cat 5 properties that we know will later be LESS valuable that I should avoid in terms of choosing which property to attach the cert to?

Thanks.
We domt know as this is one of the myriad questions that Marriott chose NOT to give clear answers.

Currently I have a Cat 6 cert attached to a Cat 6 hotel for a stay in November in a city that we definitely would need the stay. The hotel will go down from current Cat 6 (30K/night) to Cat 4 (as current Cat 5 at 25K/night). We do not know would we get back the difference of 30K pts with hotel downgrade to a lower Category.

In the past when a hotel is downgraded, IIRC, Marriott would rebook the hotel and refund the point difference - in this case it is 30K additional.
The process is NOT automatic. You will need to call and the rep can take care of it without touching the reservation already in place. SPG just announced they now can do it the Marriott way versus in the past SPG requires a cancellation of the existing award and then rebook it with the lower category - this can be problematic when hotel no longer has award nights available!

Given Lurker said SPG now will do the Marriott way after Aug 1st, I imagine Marriott would maintain the same mechanism in the past, i.e. refund the point difference should the hotel cat goes down.
People would also need to modify / cancel existing award stays due to many legitimate reasons.

Unfortunately Marriott has not given any information in this area. Though based on how SPG would model the current Marriott way, I am somewhat confident that Marriott would keep the old mechanism to handle such situations,

Therefore it comes down to your own personal evaluation whether you would book a hotel that would go down in pt/night level after August 1st.
In our situation, there is no other alternative before August 1st, i.e. there is one porperty at Cat 3, which is included in the Cat 1 to 5 cert anyway, but at a less convenient location. Next came to Cat 6, Cat 8 and Cat 9. The Cat 8 actually would do down form current 40K to 35K/night but of course not bookable at that level now. So we booked the Cat 6 which seems the best compromise.
ScottTexas likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 22, 2018 at 11:52 am
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:26 am

I am wondering if I should really attach the 7 night category 6 Courtyard HK certificate for a stay later this year. It is Category 6 right now but after the change, it will be Category 4.

The CSR I spoke with actually booked me for a 5 night travel certificate for Cat 6 for 250k (120k to Alaska Airlines)
I told her I wanted the 7 night travel package for Cat 6 (300k) She cancelled the 5 night travel certificate but still deducted the 250k plus the 300k for the 7 night package. I am now in the negative for my account.

I called CSR back to explain the situation and CSR said it will take 7 to 10 business day to receive the 250k back.

Had I known the problem, I would have just kept the 5 nights, Cat 6, 120k Alaska air package for 250k

How many days should it take for the miles to transfer to Alaska Air?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:32 am

Remember that the categories are not comparable. HK Courtyard is dropping 5K to 25 so it will be the equivalent of a current Cat 5. This is precisely why I am letting a 1-5 cert float for a redemption at that property.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
I am wondering if I should really attach the 7 night category 6 Courtyard HK certificate for a stay later this year. It is Category 6 right now but after the change, it will be Category 4.

The CSR I spoke with actually booked me for a 5 night travel certificate for Cat 6 for 250k (120k to Alaska Airlines)
I told her I wanted the 7 night travel package for Cat 6 (300k) She cancelled the 5 night travel certificate but still deducted the 250k plus the 300k for the 7 night package. I am now in the negative for my account.

I called CSR back to explain the situation and CSR said it will take 7 to 10 business day to receive the 250k back.

Had I known the problem, I would have just kept the 5 nights, Cat 6, 120k Alaska air package for 250k

How many days should it take for the miles to transfer to Alaska Air?
What Tel Number you called to redeem the TP?

Read back upthread there was a poster said Marriott audited his 5 night cert and eventually took 30K from his account to exchange it to a 7 nights cert, without any notification to him. He went all the way to Exec Office but was told the plain fact, he is not eligible for 5 nights cert.
There were a few similar DPs on Reddit. So I am not sure if taking the 5 nights cert when rep offered, would be a sure thing, especially if the stay is indeed needed, not a dummy place holder.

Happened to a friend in somewhat similar situation - he canceled an existing booking and wanted to use the cert for a different hotel. The rep canceled the booking alright but the cert did not come back. Instead his point bal went up by 45K pts. The rep claimed the cert would come back quickly. Of course it did not, and remained not the next morning.

This snafu happened on Friday evening. He called many times and nobody could fix it. Then he called Saturday yesterday a few times and eventually got a competent rep who deconstructed the whole thing and now his balance went back to what it should be and the re-issued cert is attached to the new hotel he wants.

He also had a misfortune in June when calling to extend an expiring cert, the rep extended a wrong cert which did not expire until Nov. The June expiry cert of course disappeared. He did not catch it until a few days ago when he was ready to book hotel. Took many calls but eventually the disappeared cert was reinstated - by way of 1) deducted 45K pts from his account on a rep who failed to re-deposit the 45K pts back to make him whole. 2) Many more calls later a competent rep deposited 45K back to his account to make him whole.
Correct process is to deduct 45K and deposit 45K on the same call but with how Marriott CS is going these days, he would be lucky enough to get back his cert that previous rep did not extended correctly in June.

In light of the above, I am skeptical the points would come back by themselves without human intervention. Just call back and eventually you will get a rep that is capable to fix it.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 22, 2018 at 11:45 am
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:15 pm

Frequent Miler has a post on navigating the phone tree to get to a rep who knows Travel Packages.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2018/06/26/navigating-marriotts-phone-prompts-to-book-a-travel-package/
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:46 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Lucky's Theory On How Marriott Will Handle Existing Travel Packages

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....avel-packages/

My inclination is that Marriott will do a direct category conversion, which is to say that a Category 1-5 certificate will continue to be valid at Categories 1-5. That would be very generous.

I also dont think it would be unreasonable for them to downgrade each certificate by one category, meaning a Category 1-5 certificate would be valid at Categories 1-4 going forward. But personally I think anything less than that would be stingy and unfair.

So, with this in mind, Ill share what I plan on doing with my points in a subsequent post, since Im sitting on a lot of Starpoints.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.