Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
On the conversion date:

All floater certificates will be converted to a 150K Point Certificate ie New Category 1-4
All New floater certificates must be attached within 3 months. No exceptions!
Expiry date will be 12 months from Conversion date. No extensions!
If you have an upgraded Certificate the upgrade points are refunded and your certificate is converted to a 150K Point Certificate.
Once attached, they cannot be detached other than to attach to another reservation or cancel. ie no floaters, all attached/cancelled after 3 months.
Cancelled certificates have a 45K residual value
If not attached within 3 months, cancelled at 45K residual value.
Upgrades and downgrades as per New Program.
New Cat 5 +60K, New Cat 6 +180K New Cat 7 +240K

Existing attached certificates can be handled in the same way. A date change would not trigger a conversion of the underling certificate but a change in the property would. This would ensure that all existing certificates attached or unattached will be through the system within 12 months. It would be an equitable way to allow for booking dates not currently available and to determine if you are better keeping your existing reservation or cancelling it in favor of a conversion.

In my case, it would be advantageous to convert my current attached Cat 8 certificate. I would get a New Cat 1-4 and 90K points. The New Category of the property is 5. An upgrade to a New Cat 5 would be +60K leaving me with a net 30K in my account. It would also allow me to book any other Cat 5 property, including former SPG properties.In other cases, it may be better to just leave the old certificate attached.

Just some of my thoughts,

James
I think this is possible but what about
1. Cat 6 cat 8 certificates?
2. 5N certificates?

I dont think it will be 3 months. It should 1 year or the current expiry.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Plt, , UAL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TheCount2
I used two seven night certificates for two rooms in Paris last week and paid a nightly upgrade fee for a family suite. Will I get rewards points on the upgrade fee?
Unfortunately, no. I just went through this with the Renaissance Vendome. MR wouldn't budge. Ever since they implemented the cash and points reservations, they no longer give points for the cash portion of these reservations, and they treat the upgrade fees the same as the cash component of a cash/points reservation.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
My 120K AA miles posted 3 days later without any expedite request, thought that was pretty good.

I am currently on the phone with Marriott. I decided to go ahead and attach my 7-night Cat 1-5 certificate to a redemption at the Paragraph Resort in the country of Georgia. It's going up from MR Cat 5 to "New" Cat 5 (i.e. 35k/night) with the change.

I am a little on the fence. I wonder whether post-August 1 rules on amending/canceling my attached certificate might actually be less favorable than whatever they decide to do with floaters. I am a gambler, so it was a no-brainer to buy the travel package (90k SPG for 120k non-speculative AA was good enough on its own). But I don't know whether to attach or stay floating. Thoughts? (I don't really spend a week at a time anywhere, so ultimately I'd rather have points than a 7-night stay in Georgia.)
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
My 120K AA miles posted 3 days later without any expedite request, thought that was pretty good.

I am currently on the phone with Marriott. I decided to go ahead and attach my 7-night Cat 1-5 certificate to a redemption at the Paragraph Resort in the country of Georgia. It's going up from MR Cat 5 to "New" Cat 5 (i.e. 35k/night) with the change.

I am a little on the fence. I wonder whether post-August 1 rules on amending/canceling my attached certificate might actually be less favorable than whatever they decide to do with floaters. I am a gambler, so it was a no-brainer to buy the travel package (90k SPG for 120k non-speculative AA was good enough on its own). But I don't know whether to attach or stay floating. Thoughts? (I don't really spend a week at a time anywhere, so ultimately I'd rather have points than a 7-night stay in Georgia.)
I don't see how Marriott wouldn't let you cancel your reservation and turn your certificate to a floater again. There's no downside to attach your certificate. The chance of getting unrestricted points back from the certificate is pretty low, but not outside the realm of possibilities.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jrey
I think this is possible but what about
1. Cat 6 cat 8 certificates?
2. 5N certificates?

I dont think it will be 3 months. It should 1 year or the current expiry.
As explained, Category 6 returns 30K unrestricted points and converts to a Cat 1-4 in the New Program. Similarly, a Category 8 returns 90K unrestricted points and converts to a Cat 1-4 in the New Program.

I suggested 3 months to convert & attach, 1 year from New Program start to complete stay.

Same rules for 5 Night certificates, residual value is 30K.

James
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
As explained, Category 6 returns 30K unrestricted points and converts to a Cat 1-4 in the New Program. Similarly, a Category 8 returns 90K unrestricted points and converts to a Cat 1-4 in the New Program.

I suggested 3 months to convert & attach, 1 year from New Program start to complete stay.

Same rules for 5 Night certificates, residual value is 30K.

James
I have a 5N cat 1-5. It shows value as 10K, not 30K. Are you sure that it is 30K? I just upgraded it to Cat 6 and it is now 25K.

>> PARTIAL PKG-CAT 6 - 25,000 Points
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by moops380
Citi gives out AA miles like candy. BoA no longer does this with Alaska. You can get 2x AA at grocery stores (on a no fee card). Alaska cards have no compelling 2x+. Of course if you have a specific AA redemption in mind that's great, I'm talking speculatively. 70k for first class jfk-hkg/-stopover-/ hkg-(jnb/cpt in J) is compelling. AA miles used to be alot better, but lately have been terrible, and for shorter oneworld flights there are always avios. As always, YMMV.
Fair enough. It doesn't feel that way anymore with Citi to me though with their much stricter guidelines to open new cards. But I guess if you have some of the Citi Thank You cards you can properly rack up some AA miles. I actually felt similarly about AA's miles until the other day but another poster convinced me, and I think rightly so, that Alaska is probably due for a deval sooner than AA is. I think the one huge thing that AA has on Alaska is EY obviously. QR isn't so bad either.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:12 pm

Just wanted to throw a DP. Placed 2 calls tonight to book a total of 3 packages...one for my SO and two for me. I took some advice I saw in another thread. I called 800-228-2100. During the automated prompt, I asked for my points balance. I was hold on the first call for about 25 minutes. On the second, about 15 minutes (these were at 9:15pm and 11pm respectively). Both times, I got call center reps that were based in the US, were very knowledgeable and expedient on the TPs, and I was done in 5-7 minutes. So, I might recommend trying that route for a good experience.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
And I think the screaming from customers would be pretty muted.
Other than the few who believe they are entitled to a week at the St. Regis Maldives or Bora Bora, I think we should be good.

James
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by jrey
I have a 5N cat 1-5. It shows value as 10K, not 30K. Are you sure that it is 30K? I just upgraded it to Cat 6 and it is now 25K.

>> PARTIAL PKG-CAT 6 - 25,000 Points
I am not as familiar with 5N certificates. I am basing it off of the existing Category 1 rates, 7.5K per night. 5 nights would be 4 × 7.5K + fifth night free or 30K. A 7N would be 6 ×7.5K + fifth night free or 45K.

Since I am not eligible for a 5N package, I have not seen the mechanics of a redemption. The surrender/cancel value of the partial redemption should be the residual value if anyone with experience can advise.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 19, 2018 at 1:58 am
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Boleslav
I called the customer service 2x, the first time the rep told me there will be no change in the Marriott to United conversion.
the second rep told me they do not have any information at this time.
The 10% MR to UA (RewardsPlus) conversion bonus will stay.
For current travel packages this means you can buy a TP with max. 120k UA miles, which, with 10% bonus will be 132k UA miles.
The new TPs will give you a max of 100k UA miles, which, with 10% bonus will be 110k UA miles.

The UA conversion bonus (offered at United's discretion) was offered in or around November. If offered again this year, you'd receive a max of 135k UA miles. Roughly what you can get now anytime. And for fewer MR points...

Last edited by funkbandit; Jul 19, 2018 at 6:21 am Reason: Reduce ambiguity
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I have a Cat 9 (7) night attached to a Scrub Island Stay and a Cat 1-5 (5 night) unattached. we shall see what happens.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Counsellor
There is quite a bit of discussion about that, and many opinions, but so far no clear answer.

If you attach before 1 August, the cert will (apparently) be honored irrespective of the "new" categories and rates. However, there are warnings that if the reservation is changed at all after that date, even by adjusting stay dates, the "new" redemption rates will apply.

What we don't know is what "credit" will be given for the certificate that was attached to the reservation, particularly if the number of points for the night at that property has changed. Nor do we know how the conversion will be made for unattached certificates, particularly since the old categories do not map neatly to the new categories.

My guess (and it is indeed a guess) is that if the cost of a night at the property has not changed, or is fewer points under the new chart (e.g., an old Cat 8 at 40K per night becomes a new Cat 5 at 35K per night), the attached certificate will still be honored after the change in dates of stay, but if the "price" has increased, you will have to pay the new price but get credit for the old price already paid. But that a guess and YMMV.
Sigh, clear as mud, right? I appreciate you taking the time to clarify what we do or don't know yet in plain english.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by funkbandit
The UA conversion bonus (offered at United's discretion) was offered in or around November. If offered again this year, you'd receive a max of 135k UA miles. Roughly what you can get now anytime. And for fewer MR points...
New TP for 100K miles costs 330K points minimum...significantly MORE MR points.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Finally redeemed this morning at 9am (Eastern). First try got connected within 5 mins, then placed on hold by a clueless agent, subsequently disconnected. Called again and within 30 seconds was connected to an agent who knew what he was doing. Redeemed Cat 6 + 120K British Airways Avios.

I forgot to ask to expedite! How long until the Cert posts? I was told stright away, but still not showing in my account. I just don't want the Cert to post somehow after the merger and cause me a headache! Not concerned about the BA Avios taking up to 6 weeks as I don't have an urgent need for these...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.