Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by MarkP24
I just want to confirm that when redeeming the 7 night stay, these 7 nights count as 7 nights of elite credit juts like an award stay even though they're a travel certificate and not a point redemption, correct?
Yes, they count as elite nights.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thank You!

Originally Posted by TommyC80

yes
Originally Posted by 0limits
Yes, they count as elite nights.
Thank you so much for the prompt response!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
This is really ridiculous that no definative answer has been given to consumers who just want an answer so as to make plans. Its totally consumer un-friendly. I can’t book my 7 night as the time i want is not available to book yet.
lingecw likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold, WN CP, Alaska MVP
Waiting and waiting

Currently on a 45 minute hold attempting to upgrade a category 1-5 certificate to a Cat 8 to attach to a book. No one knows how to do this and three leads have now said that they are no longer allowing these upgrades to take place. The agent who doesn’t know how to do the upgrade doesn’t believe the leads so she keep trying to reach out to someone else.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:01 pm
alc

Just thought to share with the group about calling Marriott and since the nature of my calls are all related to Travel Packages, hence I thought to post it in this thread.

I had called about 5 times to Marriott within the last week on different time of the day. All but one time I got an agent within 15 minutes. And that one time that took > 30 minutes, I didn't even get an agent that know anything about Travel Package and need to transfer me again that hold for another 15 minutes.

That > 30 minutes call was my 3rd call, hence, I decided to follow what I did on the 1st and 2nd call when I call the 4th and 5th time.

What I did is tell the automated voice system that I want to check my balance, that actually transfer you to an agent. I actually was surprise as I thought it will ask me to punch in my membership numbers and read me my balance. My initially thought is that if I am be able to punch in my numbers, it will recognize my Plat status and get me to an agent faster. For all 4 times that I did this, I got an agent within 15 minutes, one of the call (in the middle of the day) actually got me an agent in 5 minutes.

Also, this option do not get you those regular reservation agents that know nothing about Travel Package, these agents know how to order new travel packages, attach or detach certs to reservations, and upgrade category on a CAT 1-5 certs. They will put you on hold for 5 to 10 minutes but come back and have everything done correctly.

Hope this help some of you here
Happy, RafKa and IDM79 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by TurboT
Currently on a 45 minute hold attempting to upgrade a category 1-5 certificate to a Cat 8 to attach to a book. No one knows how to do this and three leads have now said that they are no longer allowing these upgrades to take place. The agent who doesn’t know how to do the upgrade doesn’t believe the leads so she keep trying to reach out to someone else.
Ok, so after 10 more minutes this was figured out. She came back on and said she completed the process of upgrading the certificate and attaching it to the reservation.

Here is the kicker, after the call I looked and while the points were adjusted down and the reservation is there with the certificate attached, BUT the upgraded attached certificate shows as a category 7 and the hotel is listed as category 8. Is this bank error in my favor (I.e upgraded at 60k instead of 90k) or is this more likely a problem at check-in at the hotel?!
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:29 am

Can you get more miles/starpoints? If you can get a travel package it is a lot better. You basically get the hotel portion for free.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:33 am

Ok, so after 10 more minutes this was figured out. She came back on and said she completed the process of upgrading the certificate and attaching it to the reservation.

Here is the kicker, after the call I looked and while the points were adjusted down and the reservation is there with the certificate attached, BUT the upgraded attached certificate shows as a category 7 and the hotel is listed as category 8. Is this bank error in my favor (I.e upgraded at 60k instead of 90k) or is this more likely a problem at check-in at the hotel?!
Was the hotel a new cat-7 after August 1?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

I think you likely have a problem. I'd tell you to email to confirm the cert will work, but they likely will take days (if they respond at all.)
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
Was the hotel a new cat-7 after August 1?
No it is a 6 after August 1.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I think you likely have a problem. I'd tell you to email to confirm the cert will work, but they likely will take days (if they respond at all.)
Not necessarily. Here's another possibility: Marriott intends to honor the current certificates at hotels of the same new category as stated (current category) on the certificates post August. Even though most of us thought this is highly unlikely, but it's not outside of realm of possibilities.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:14 am

No it is a 6 after August 1.
So the hotel currently costs 35K/night and will cost 50K/night after August 1? Is your reservation for stay before Feb 2019 or after?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
So the hotel currently costs 35K/night and will cost 50K/night after August 1? Is your reservation for stay before Feb 2019 or after?
Reservation is in Late March. Category 8 hotel costs 40k per night currently and that is what shows on the reservation. What is attached to the reservation is a 7 night category upgrade certificate.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG

Reservation is in Late March. Category 8 hotel costs 40k per night currently and that is what shows on the reservation. What is attached to the reservation is a 7 night category upgrade certificate.
I am starting to get dizzy reading all these numbers. LOL! Perhaps that is why Marriott still couldn’t find a perfect workaround to handle all scenarios :-)!
cruisr likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:16 pm

Is there any consensus on how long it takes for the points balance to be adjusted after receiving the certificate? I redeemed for a certificate a little while ago but my points balance has not been adjusted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.