Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
Now that we know what Marriott is rolling out it sure seems that the Marriott Travel Packages are going to cost lots more after August and give you much less. Would it not be wise to transfer the airline miles now to someone but if so what airline for flights to Australia, Spain, Greece? I read that AA rarely has space and that Alaska is a good bet to Australia. 120,000 miles transferred is certainly better than 100,000 miles but what if you add 60,000 SPG Miles to an airline to bump up the airline miles? What Airline then becomes a good deal then to travel on to one of those destinations?
There's soooooo much in that question that it probably isn't an easy answer. Some quick thoughts:

AS has great prices for Asia and Australia. they are also due for a devaluation, and that chart may change drastically. So if you already know you're going to Asia/Australia, start looking for space and pull the trigger on the TP sooner rather than later.

AA has availability off and on, but it's pretty common knowledge that AA is for flying partners if going international long haul. Iv'e been scouting partner space for a year, and generally can find options to Europe and Asia if I am flexible. Pull the trigger depending on pricing/timing.

Iberia is great for Spain, but their award space from ORD and maybe LAX (and probably the northeast) is about to be destroyed due to last week's insane promo. If that stands, you'll be hard-pressed to find J availability at all for the next year. too bad: they have a perfectly acceptable J product at a fantastic price. If you could book within the next day or two go for it, otherwise look elsewhere.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Hi: I'm looking for recommendation for a hotel in Europe or Canada that allow 3 persons (2 parents and 14 years old) in a room with no additional charge for the 7 day package. Tier 5, 6 or 7. Thank you!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
Originally Posted by pinniped
I ran queries on a bunch of hotels I've redeemed at in the past or plan to in the future. Most were flat, slightly down, or slightly up. I considered Category Creep a rough "neutral" in my assessment, assuming that TP's are able to be redeemed at these levels for "peak" dates.
All our go to vacations are going to require a lot more points in the future.
London all three we like up 15,000 a night
Wailea Beach Resort Maui up 15,000 a night
Portland all the Hotels with Lounges up. Nines up 14,000 our other two up 10,000 a night

Walt Disney World just went up 14,000 points per night. Swan and Dolphin both up. On top of Dolphin just going up 9000 points a few months ago. Use to be hidden gem for kids vacation.

This doesn't even take into account that we travel spring break and over Christmas break every year. I need to start looking at some lower category hotels. Unfortunately as a family of five we often have to get two rooms. No wins I can see for us. Have only stayed at a Sheraton once and will start looking at that brand. Noticed a huge amounts of Courtyards going down.

I need to book our last Category 9. Was going to do adult trip to Greece but properties are only loaded until February.

Last edited by mitchwebb; Jun 29, 2018 at 3:46 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
Now that we know what Marriott is rolling out it sure seems that the Marriott Travel Packages are going to cost lots more after August and give you much less. Would it not be wise to transfer the airline miles now to someone but if so what airline for flights to Australia, Spain, Greece? I read that AA rarely has space and that Alaska is a good bet to Australia. 120,000 miles transferred is certainly better than 100,000 miles but what if you add 60,000 SPG Miles to an airline to bump up the airline miles? What Airline then becomes a good deal then to travel on to one of those destinations?
How many times do you plan to ask these questions?

120,000 miles to transfer but to Whom
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
It gets worse. Huge Travel Package devaluation and only 50K and 100K options. Using peak redemption amounts, the points to miles is no longer 1 to 1, but 1.5 points to 1 mile. See attachment.

More info may be found here: EXPLORE REDEMPTION OPTIONS
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by milemission
Hi: I'm looking for recommendation for a hotel in Europe or Canada that allow 3 persons (2 parents and 14 years old) in a room with no additional charge for the 7 day package. Tier 5, 6 or 7. Thank you!
Canadian rooms are typically similar size to U.S. rooms. You should be able to find lots of 2-double rooms that technically sleep four. Canada also has many of the suites brands that the U.S. has, so you could even find King + sleeper sofa and actually have a comfortable night's sleep!

Europe is trickier but 3 often is doable. Sometimes you have to do a minor upgrade to a larger room (can be done with cash and the regular award). But some places do have 2-double rooms. You just have to search your target city and see what the options are.

Whatever you do, don't book a standard room for 2 and expect that there will be room for a cot when you get there. I've stayed in many European hotel rooms that were twin+twin, and just enough room to walk between them, plus room to prop luggage on a rack or on the floor. There are quite a few "hard limit" 2 person rooms out there. Especially in older city hotels.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
We can still book the old travel packages for now, correct? If so, I feel that window is closing very soon.. Maybe 7/1 or 7/15.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
We can still book the old travel packages for now, correct? If so, I feel that window is closing very soon.. Maybe 7/1 or 7/15.
I assume we can book them until the new program goes live in August. I doubt that there will be an unpredictable window during which awards cannot be booked.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milemission
Not going to happen in most European city hotels.

Often you need to book a 2 persons first and then email the hotel to check if they can accommodate you by switching to upgraded room and then charge extra in cash. You can forget about "no additional charge" part if your destinations are in Europe. The hotel if it can accommodate would tell you how much is the charge and you would pay that directly to the hotel upon check in or check out. The 7 night cert is just for standard room which in Europe often is strictly 2 guests only.

In Canada many limited service hotels do have very spacious rooms. For example, Springhill standard rooms are either a King bed + a sofa bed or 2 Queens + a sofa bed, and on their website clearly stated 4 persons on the former and 5 persons on the latter.
Full service hotels probably dont have space to accommodate a 14 years old other than upgraded to bigger room.

In Europe you can pretty much forget about the standard room option, sometimes not even for much small kids.

There are also fire regulations to consider as to how many guests can be in one room.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:16 pm

Is the redemption rate per person? Two people? I can't find this anywhere and am trying to make sense of points per room (for 2 people) vs points per airfare (priced per person). Also, can you upgrade your class of airline service with cash or miles after booking one of these packages? Looking ahead already for Hawaii in 2023!

Last edited by GuardMusic; Jun 30, 2018 at 3:30 pm Reason: add
Old Jun 30, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GuardMusic
Is the redemption rate per person? Two people? I can't find this anywhere and am trying to make sense of points per room (for 2 people) vs points per airfare (priced per person). Also, can you upgrade your class of airline service with cash or miles after booking one of these packages? Looking ahead already for Hawaii in 2023!
The cert works for any standard room. Any fees for additional people that apply to a revenue booking will also apply, and obviously you're limited by the maximum number of people in the room which I think would always be at least two people.

Not sure what you mean about upgrading class of airline service. You don't get flights booked with these packages, you get airline miles for a program of your choosing and the rules of that program apply to whatever you do with them.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
Not going to happen in most European city hotels.

Often you need to book a 2 persons first and then email the hotel to check if they can accommodate you by switching to upgraded room and then charge extra in cash. You can forget about "no additional charge" part if your destinations are in Europe. The hotel if it can accommodate would tell you how much is the charge and you would pay that directly to the hotel upon check in or check out. The 7 night cert is just for standard room which in Europe often is strictly 2 guests only.
I have had pretty good luck in London over the years. Look for hotels that have rooms with two double beds or a double bed and a sofa sleeper. Call or email the hotel and let them know you will be bringing a child and need to find out if their rooms can accommodate the child without a rollaway. Lots of the London hotels charge crazy prices (like 50 per night!) for a rollaway bed (in addition to any extra person charges!). Ask to confirm that there is no charge for a third person if they are a child.

Many of your best London options are dropping lower in the new program. The Regents Park, West India Quay, and Maida Vale Marriotts will all be Cat 5. I've checked these and they currently charge a supplement for the third body on a Rewards booking, but in my experience if you book for two people and email to ask about the child, you have a good chance of avoiding the charge. The Moxy hotels will be Cat 4, but they are more distant from most tourist spots.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier, BA, AA, HHonors Gold
Advice on Booking Award Package Before August

I have about 120K Starwood points and was thinking of converting them to Marriott and then booking a 360K package before 1 August. I'm thinking of going for a Cat. 8 hotel and using the certificate at the Wailea Marriott in Maui. I'm debating whether to go for 120K Alaska miles or 85K Singapore or Cathay. I'd be hoping to use the miles toward getting to Australia (on a separate trip). From my experience Alaska has the lowest miles levels for awards but also not much availability on partners (and probably less in the future it sounds like if Cathay lowers the number of seats it makes available to partners.) Any thoughts from Flyertalkers if I'm missing anything and/or opinions on the best airlines to transfer to?

Last edited by daveinsf; Jun 30, 2018 at 5:02 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GuardMusic
You may have a total misunderstanding on "Travel Package" - this is a package of Airline Miles + Hotel Nights.

There is no such thing as how many points per room and how many points per person of the flight as there is no flight involved. You choose an airline's frequent flyer program to transfer your miles and then use those miles to book award seats per the program's rules.

The hotel stay part and the air travel part are totally independent.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lexdevil
I have had pretty good luck in London over the years. Look for hotels that have rooms with two double beds or a double bed and a sofa sleeper. Call or email the hotel and let them know you will be bringing a child and need to find out if their rooms can accommodate the child without a rollaway. Lots of the London hotels charge crazy prices (like 50 per night!) for a rollaway bed (in addition to any extra person charges!). Ask to confirm that there is no charge for a third person if they are a child.

Many of your best London options are dropping lower in the new program. The Regents Park, West India Quay, and Maida Vale Marriotts will all be Cat 5. I've checked these and they currently charge a supplement for the third body on a Rewards booking, but in my experience if you book for two people and email to ask about the child, you have a good chance of avoiding the charge. The Moxy hotels will be Cat 4, but they are more distant from most tourist spots.
That is what I suggested, book the room then email the property to inform them there are a 3rd guest - AND tell the property the truth the 3rd guest is 14 years old - as it is a huge difference between a 4 years old and a 14 years old. The property would then tell you what they can and can not accommodate, at what cost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.