Marriott Travel Packages

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Slickw
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART


Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
************
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jun 28, 18, 12:36 pm
  #3511  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
I would guess the 105K points is the upgrade charge for upgrading from a Cat 5 to a Cat 8 (5K/night or 35K per week * 3 categories = 105K points.)
I thought the cost to upgrade a 7-night TP was 30k per category tier, no? But whether it's 90k or 105k, did the rep just not charge me or neglect to inform me that I still owe additional points that Marriott will want to collect from me at some point?
incaroads is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 12:44 pm
  #3512  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 382
There're a whole new bunch of Marriott reps who are completely ignorant of the travel packages. Just spoke to Rewards rep with an Indian accent who's never heard of travel packages or hotel+air packages. My last call to change an existing certificate was also messed up and had to call again to straighten it up.
tth6133 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 12:47 pm
  #3513  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LTPP; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 10,940
Originally Posted by incaroads View Post
I thought the cost to upgrade a 7-night TP was 30k per category tier, no? But whether it's 90k or 105k, did the rep just not charge me or neglect to inform me that I still owe additional points that Marriott will want to collect from me at some point?
I was thinking each category level was 5K more than the previous and TP awards don't have the 5th night free. But maybe I'm incorrect in that.
hhoope01 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 12:53 pm
  #3514  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: EWR
Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Posts: 959
Originally Posted by jtp1947 View Post
icydog, you actually received 132K United miles.
I just called MVCI and you’re absolutely correct! I forgot about the UA bump up in miles. Thank You.

I just upgraded my 5 night TP from a cat 5 to a cat 7. I had to do it with a Rewards Rep since the MVCI rep said she couldn’t do it.

Then I ordered another for one someone to travel with me.

So now I have 2 cat 7 TPs and 264,000 UA frequent flyer miles.

Heres the thing, and I could be mistaken, the rewards rep charged me 45,000 points for the initial upgrade from Cat 5 to Cat 7. It should have been 35,000 points not 45,000 MRP. Am I correct?



Last edited by icydog; Jun 28, 18 at 1:08 pm
icydog is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 1:20 pm
  #3515  
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SNA/LAX
Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott PP & WoH Globalist
Posts: 5,570
Book now! Today Marriott revealed their new Hotel + Air Package pricing and structure, and it's a big devaluation over the current ones: https://lacek.hs.llnwd.net/e1/marrio...ges_Chart2.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Marriott New Travel Packages.pdf (171.9 KB, 112 views)
Kalboz is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 1:29 pm
  #3516  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: YYZ
Programs: AA LT Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,098
Originally Posted by icydog View Post
Heres the thing, and I could be mistaken, the rewards rep charged me 45,000 points for the initial upgrade from Cat 5 to Cat 7. It should have been 35,000 points not 45,000 MRP. Am I correct?
I believe you are correct, it should have been 35K points to upgrade 5-night cert from Cat 1-5 to Cat 7.
nabeelj is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 1:41 pm
  #3517  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 499
Originally Posted by Kalboz View Post
Book now! Today Marriott revealed their new Hotel + Air Package pricing and structure, and it's a big devaluation over the current ones: https://lacek.hs.llnwd.net/e1/marrio...ges_Chart2.pdf
Any idea when the new rates go into effect? The current website is still reflecting old rates.
EDIT: Nevermind, read a few pages back, and it seems like it's going to take affect in August?

Last edited by pentiumvi; Jun 28, 18 at 1:47 pm
pentiumvi is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 1:46 pm
  #3518  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by icydog View Post


I just called MVCI and you’re absolutely correct! I forgot about the UA bump up in miles. Thank You.

I just upgraded my 5 night TP from a cat 5 to a cat 7. I had to do it with a Rewards Rep since the MVCI rep said she couldn’t do it.

Then I ordered another for one someone to travel with me.

So now I have 2 cat 7 TPs and 264,000 UA frequent flyer miles.

Heres the thing, and I could be mistaken, the rewards rep charged me 45,000 points for the initial upgrade from Cat 5 to Cat 7. It should have been 35,000 points not 45,000 MRP. Am I correct?


What # are you calling to get the 5 night ones? I thought they only offer 7 nights.
AlmaB is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 1:47 pm
  #3519  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by icydog View Post
I just upgraded my 5 night TP from a cat 5 to a cat 7.
Do you happen to have the reward codes for those two awards? I believe that the cat 5 one is 530T, and suspect that that cat 7 one is 610T.
AbelianGrape is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 1:48 pm
  #3520  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: toronto
Posts: 798
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
Excellent city in which to spend a Travel Package.
Especially when the Cotton House is a Cat 7 under the new system, and will cost 60,000 a night. and the new travel package pricing.
I think I will keep my Cotton House reservation.
Commie is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 1:48 pm
  #3521  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SNA
Programs: M/R LT/TIT
Posts: 358
For the 5 night package you must be a Marriott timeshare owner so you call owner services at MVC 800.845.4226
jtp1947 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 1:53 pm
  #3522  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SNA
Programs: M/R LT/TIT
Posts: 358
The announcement says call to book an air/hotel package below. Makes it sound like it takes effect now. Marriott usually gives a grace period before enacting changes.
jtp1947 is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 2:10 pm
  #3523  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: EWR
Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Posts: 959
Originally Posted by nabeelj View Post
I believe you are correct, it should have been 35K points to upgrade 5-night cert from Cat 1-5 to Cat 7.
Well they actually did take out 45K MRP. At least that’s what the email said. I tried to follow up with The Rewards Dept but after 30 min I gave up! I’ll try first thing tomorrow.

Originally Posted by AlmaB View Post
What # are you calling to get the 5 night ones? I thought they only offer 7 nights.
I am a Marriott Vacation Club owner. It’s only available to us, but in reality, I have read of reps giving them to the general public by mistake

Originally Posted by AbelianGrape View Post
Do you happen to have the reward codes for those two awards? I believe that the cat 5 one is 530T, and suspect that that cat 7 one is 610T.
Yes, those are the codes.

Originally Posted by jtp1947 View Post
For the 5 night package you must be a Marriott timeshare owner so you call owner services at MVC 800.845.4226
Oh here’s the answer again AlmaB
icydog is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 2:36 pm
  #3524  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), SPG/MR LTPP, HH Diamond, LeClubAccor Gold, UA Silver, Azul Safira
Posts: 1,405
Originally Posted by jtp1947 View Post
The announcement says call to book an air/hotel package below. Makes it sound like it takes effect now. Marriott usually gives a grace period before enacting changes.
Except it hasn't been officially announced: the pdf looks like a leak which could be meant as a reference once the new rates go into effect. I can't imagine it being live now, when the new categories are only due to kick in at the earliest on July 27th (even that date hasn't been confirmed yet).
RafKa is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 2:48 pm
  #3525  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 66
I am still waiting to see where the current floater TP are going to map to. I would have 2 cat 7 and a cat 5. I would like to use these to book SPG properties in Paris, but I have no idea if they are going to map to cat 5 or 6. I hope that info comes out soon.
AtlLhr is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread