Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by icydog
I just called MVCI and ordered a 5 night Leisure Package for UA. It cost me 235,000 MRP for 250,000 Mileage Plus Miles.
235k for 250k?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:43 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Instead of reserving a 2nd "room", you could see if there are 2-bedroom suites available for awards. That would only cost you 25K extra (5K/night for the 5 nights) and each of you has your own room.

Oops. Just realized your mentioning MVCI was for the 5 night award specifically, not that you were getting an award at an MVCI property. Personally, I'd only order a 2nd award if you really want the extra airline miles. If you do, then go ahead. If you don't then use your points for something else.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
I was just coming in to change it. 235K MRP for 120,000 Frequent flyer UA miles. Sorry.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Instead of reserving a 2nd "room", you could see if there are 2-bedroom suites available for awards. That would only cost you 25K extra (5K/night for the 5 nights) and each of you has your own room.

Where would I find a two bedroom suite in a cat 5? Maybe at a RI if I beg for an upgrade? And I don’t believe I can use my travel cert on a vacation Club resort even if I had a cat 8 cert.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Smiley90
uh oh.

Now we REALLY need to know what happens to existing packages, because that means it's definitely going to be worth it to redeem before the devaluation hits.
This also changes the game, in that it makes sense to redeem now for the Category you're most likely to want to redeem, because it'll cost 60k per category upgrade vs 30k previously (assuming that is still possible).

I think I might now redeem for a Cat. 6 TP in the hopes it maps to new Cat. 5 where there are a lot of desirable properties.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:50 am

Okay then from what I am reading I should upgrade now, right?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by RafKa
This also changes the game, in that it makes sense to redeem now for the Category you're most likely to want to redeem, because it'll cost 60k per category upgrade vs 30k previously (assuming that is still possible).

I think I might now redeem for a Cat. 6 TP in the hopes it maps to new Cat. 5 where there are a lot of desirable properties.
okay now I’m really confused. What cat will present day cat 5 be in the new environment. Should I upgrade now to a cat 6 or higher?

Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by icydog

okay now I’m really confused. What cat will present day cat 5 be in the new environment. Should I upgrade now to a cat 6 or higher?

I guess it's always been pretty clear that Cat 1-5 would map to Cat 1-4 (or equivalent points). The question is whether Cat 6 will get the bump up to new Cat 5, or rolled into Cat 1-4 (possibly with the 30k difference refunded).
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
I need a TP for August 2019. Reservations are not yet open for that date. If I buy a TP now (cat 6) will they honor it? Or will I have to use more points when the date opens up?
Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:01 pm

Probably your best best is to find a hotel to use your cert as quickly as you can (and if that requires upgrading it, then yes, upgrade it.) Personally, with all the changes happening on Aug. 1st, I'd prefer to have a reservation in hand with the cert attached before that date. Even if the hotel is going to require fewer points after Aug. 1st, I'd still have something in hand and then change it after Aug. 1st to get the points back.

And as I mentioned earlier, if you need the airline miles or will want to order another TP award within a few months, I'd go ahead and order it now. Though I wouldn't order a TP award just to order it and no other "real" reason.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
icydog, you actually received 132K United miles.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by tbrein
I need a TP for August 2019. Reservations are not yet open for that date. If I buy a TP now (cat 6) will they honor it? Or will I have to use more points when the date opens up?
Thanks.
I wouldn't order a TP award assuming I can use the hotel cert 13 months later. The hotel certs are good for 12 months. I don't remember seeing or hearing anything saying that Marriott will continue to let us extend the hotel cert. (Maybe it was stated, but I don't remember seeing it anywhere.) If you have a backup plan for using that hotel cert within its normal usage period, then try it. Otherwise, I wouldn't.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I wouldn't order a TP award assuming I can use the hotel cert 13 months later. The hotel certs are good for 12 months. I don't remember seeing or hearing anything saying that Marriott will continue to let us extend the hotel cert. (Maybe it was stated, but I don't remember seeing it anywhere.) If you have a backup plan for using that hotel cert within its normal usage period, then try it. Otherwise, I wouldn't.
Thanks for your reply. I forgot about the 12 month limit.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:22 pm

Confusing morning on the phone with Marriott! I had a Cat 1-5 TP that I have been planning to attach to an existing reservation at a Cat 8 property. I have just over 90k additional points available, which I thought I would need in order to upgrade to the Cat 8. But the phone rep attached my TP certificate to the reservation and didn't say anything about additional points needed. I thought maybe I got lucky with this rep, as I remembered someone else here (or on reddit) reporting a similar experience when attaching a TP to a higher-cat property.

I received two separate emails showing a "Reward Cancellation Summary" of my partial packages, and two separate reservation confirmation emails. Looking at my reservation online, it shows "Total for Stay: $7 + 105,000 points" (screenshot). I can't quite figure out where the 105k figure came from, and meanwhile, the 91k points sitting in my account appear to be untouched.

This is my first time using a TP, so this could all be typical, I don't know. I guess the main thing I'm wondering is whether I got lucky with a free upgrade, or whether I still owe the 90k (or 105k??) points. I did call back and casually ask another rep if my reservation was all set or if they "needed anything else from me," and was told the certificate has been attached to the reservation and I'm good to go. Any insights from the experts here?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:31 pm

I would guess the 105K points is the upgrade charge for upgrading from a Cat 5 to a Cat 8 (5K/night or 35K per week * 3 categories = 105K points.)

Probably the reason you don't see any change in your current balance is because you don't have the points for that upgrade yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.