Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by swag
For those hoping for the chance at a bargain MR to mile conversion, do you take that risk? I'm undecided but tempted.
I did (two in May, one last week) and I will (waiting for next month CC points). Just like craigthemif said:

Originally Posted by craigthemif
but worst case scenario I'd have converted 75K SPG into 120K Alaska or 132K United and I can easily live with that as well.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Happy
They dont care if you are mad. The way that they choose to communicate this issue and remain so vague despite REPEATED questions from the members, should give you people enough hint to think about - all of the same certs / 150K pts conversion have slim to none chance to happen.
If the plan is the low end value (45K), then it would make sense for them to have announced that fact sooner rather than later. This would warn folks from making additional redemptions without attaching the cert to a reservation, and also give notice to those who already have floater certificates to attach them to a reservation before the cutover. In both cases, this would result in a lower number of disgruntled customers.

If the plan is the lower end value, what possible reason or advantage would they have to keep that conversion point rate a secret?
davidsc111 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by swag
If the plan is the low end value (45K), then it would make sense for them to have announced that fact sooner rather than later. This would warn folks from making additional redemptions without attaching the cert to a reservation, and also give notice to those who already have floater certificates to attach them to a reservation before the cutover. In both cases, this would result in a lower number of disgruntled customers.

If the plan is the lower end value, what possible reason or advantage would they have to keep that conversion point rate a secret?
Totally agree. It's very possible that the conversion is too sweet and they want to keep low-risk-taking people away from the arbitrage game.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If they wanted to eliminate any possibility of arbitrage, they'd just convert the floater certs directly to the equivalent points-per-night in the new system. For the categories that don't have an exact 1:1, convert them down a half-category and refund a small amount of points. Members can always call back later to upgrade a cert if they like.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
If they wanted to eliminate any possibility of arbitrage, they'd just convert the floater certs directly to the equivalent points-per-night in the new system. For the categories that don't have an exact 1:1, convert them down a half-category and refund a small amount of points. Members can always call back later to upgrade a cert if they like.
Do you mean converting them to 180K MR points (6 nights @ 30k pts for new Cat 4)? That would mean getting as much as 480k value out of a 270k Cat 1-5 + 120k miles package.

How would that eliminate any arbitrage?

Even the "worst-case" scenario descibed by @craigthemif constitutes a decent enough arbitrage.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RafKa
Do you mean converting them to 180K MR points (6 nights @ 30k pts for new Cat 4)? That would mean getting as much as 480k value out of a 270k Cat 1-5 + 120k miles package.

How would that eliminate any arbitrage?

Even the "worst-case" scenario descibed by @craigthemif constitutes a decent enough arbitrage.
No.

I'm suggesting that if you have a Cat 5 floater on Aug 1, it becomes a new Cat 4 certificate. Zero change to what you get. A 25,000 point per night hotel.
If you have a current Cat 6 floater, then it also becomes a new Cat 4 and you get 30,000 points back in your account. Since the new program does not have a 30,000 point level, you effectively get bumped down to half a rung and you get the difference back in your account. Still no arbitrage.

This is clearly a one-time thing, on August 1, 2018. If you call an extend the certificate into the future peak/off-peak model, then you could be on the hook for more points to get your desired hotel.

If they did this, there would be no real way to exploit it.

Of course, it sounds like Marriott *isn't* going to do this - I'm not really sure what they're going to do - so perhaps a moot point.
Happy and RafKa like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott - Titanium, AA - Lifetime Gold
If anyone here is thinking of redeeming points for a Travel Package I recommend you not wait and do it asap.
I just called and something has sure changed at Marriott Rewards.
Takes a long time on hold ..... then transferred between reservations and customer service and rewards program back and forth.
Finally get to rewards program rep and they have to research to find the codes for the specific travel package you want.
Takes a long time to find.
Then computer goes down then program goes down so have to continually input your info again and again.
If there is an announcement and it is good there is no way the system can handle it.
Good luck, do it now.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Duke5150
they have to research to find the codes for the specific travel package you want.
Just got another set for AS. Here is the code.
Description: 7 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotels
Reward code: 830T
Valid through: Wednesday, June 19, 2019
Total points redeemed: 270,000
Confirmed on: Tuesday, June 19, 2018
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:02 pm

I had a cat 1-5 travel pkg and upgraded to a cat 7. The code for that in case anyone wants to upgrade is P910 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 7 - 105,000 Points. We are rolling the dice and leaving 3 floaters in our accounts. 2 cat 7 certs and 1 cat 1-5. We are happy with the United miles we got so whatever happens we are ok with it. I am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke5150
If anyone here is thinking of redeeming points for a Travel Package I recommend you not wait and do it asap.
I just called and something has sure changed at Marriott Rewards.
Takes a long time on hold ..... then transferred between reservations and customer service and rewards program back and forth.
Finally get to rewards program rep and they have to research to find the codes for the specific travel package you want.
Takes a long time to find.
Then computer goes down then program goes down so have to continually input your info again and again.
If there is an announcement and it is good there is no way the system can handle it.
Good luck, do it now.
If you read the past 2 months' posts, what you described is nothing new. It has been like this since the final merger has been announced. There were no less than 1/2 doz posts about long hold, reps, including supervisors, had no clue on the travel package redemption. or in one call the rep insisted the only package available is to United....

The Marriott system has crashed many times during the past 2 months, literally every other day if not every day. All reported in multiple threads.

Though I agree that if one wants to redeem, do not wait till last week of July to do so.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:57 am

New post from Greg on the subject. Summary: he's in the same place as most of us here.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...before-august/
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:47 am

Like a summary of this thread
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by AtlLhr
We are happy with the United miles we got so whatever happens we are ok with it. I am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.
Ditto. I was ready to call in and ask for my 45K points. Now I'll just let it ride. If I get 45K, oh well, that's what I expected. If I get more, bonus to me.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I have attached a 7-night cat 5 certificate to a cat 5 reservation next year, though we plan on only staying five nights.

I’m now wondering if it’s better to call and cancel the reservation- so I have a floater certificate which may be converted to points in August.

I can book our five night stay using AirBnB at about $100/ night.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I have attached a 7-night cat 5 certificate to a cat 5 reservation next year, though we plan on only staying five nights.

I’m now wondering if it’s better to call and cancel the reservation- so I have a floater certificate which may be converted to points in August.

I can book our five night stay using AirBnB at about $100/ night.
Just cancel the reservation, then make a new reservation without attaching the certificate. You can then decide to attach the certificate or not, once things become more clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.