Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by joeags
how many points were you charged for this redemption? You stated 270k at the top, which would mean that you were charged the 7 night package price. Or were you charged less?

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not right. OP got a Cat 7 package. A seven night Cat 7 would be 330k points.

I also wish I could get a five night package. I never stay seven nights in one place.
I was charged 270k - which is the points for 7 night Cat 1-5 package.

Since we normally stay at Cat 5 properties, I am planning to call and have it fixed. If we end up not staying for 7 nights, we will just check out 1 or 2 days earlier.

On second thought, as davidsc111 pointed out, I may try to downgrade it to 5 night Cat 5 package and get 35k points back if the agent allows.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Anyone have recent experience with TPs on AS? I ordered three TPs a week ago Sunday, one to VS which posted on tuesday morning. But the two I used for AS have not bewn credited as of today. Should I be worried? I dont see my FF #s anywhere on the TP listed so cant double triple check that

Just figured I would check here to see how long of a wait people have experienced
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by BearSmart
I was charged 270k - which is the points for 7 night Cat 1-5 package.

Since we normally stay at Cat 5 properties, I am planning to call and have it fixed. If we end up not staying for 7 nights, we will just check out 1 or 2 days earlier.

On second thought, as davidsc111 pointed out, I may try to downgrade it to 5 night Cat 5 package and get 35k points back if the agent allows.
Keep an eye on and watch your package/Points. A poster about a week ago said he got a 5 day package. He wrote that auditors caught this and since he is not a vacation club owner and he had to change it.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:40 am

TP ordered on 5/29, AS points posted on 6/6
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: free agent
My 1-5 cat certificate will expire in early March 2019, and you guys think we have chance to redeem at SPG property when Marriott release updated category list sometime soon (hopefully so) before August 1?

Think it's doable for me to call Marriott to extend my certificate to March 2020, or I'm out of luck and gotta come up with decision between now and March 2019?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Would AS be the most valuable airline redemption now without any transfer promotion? Thanks! Assume I don’t have any travel plan in mind.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by milemission
Would AS be the most valuable airline redemption now without any transfer promotion? Thanks! Assume I don’t have any travel plan in mind.
AS may be very valuable if you can hit their sweet spot. Also, it's hard to get comparing to DL, AA and UA. For me, AS is the place to go. I have just got two and will get another two before Aug.
milemission likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milemission
It depends on your travel plan / needs.

Caveat is - if you do not have travel plan in the next 6 to 9 months, DONT do speculative travel package redemption. You may wound up regret it.

Just a fair warning on AS - if you are thinking to use on CX you may want to examine the availability trend as a reality check. Hint - the availability has become much much harder to find, months before CX restructured its Asia Miles charts. Things have become decidedly worse.
On top of that, AS charts are very ripe for devaluation because it has been undervalued comparing to the US3.
milemission likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by washeelers747
My 1-5 cat certificate will expire in early March 2019, and you guys think we have chance to redeem at SPG property when Marriott release updated category list sometime soon (hopefully so) before August 1?

Think it's doable for me to call Marriott to extend my certificate to March 2020, or I'm out of luck and gotta come up with decision between now and March 2019?
New combined category list will come out this month but you won't be able to book based on the new combined category prior to August 1. More specifically, you won't be able to use the certificate on any SPG property prior to August 1. Since your certificate will be converted to points, you won't have a certificate after August 1. So it really doesn't matter.

Also, there's no point to extend the certificate because it will be converted to points, which presumably behave like ordinary points and won't expire. BTW, if you call to extend, the new expiration date will be 1 year from the date you called, not from the original expiration date of the certificate.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by tth6133
New combined category list will come out this month but you won't be able to book based on the new combined category prior to August 1. More specifically, you won't be able to use the certificate on any SPG property prior to August 1. Since your certificate will be converted to points, you won't have a certificate after August 1. So it really doesn't matter. .
Thanks for your answers, which basically confirms my assumptions. Sound like I have nothing to lose by give Marriott a call for bump to Cat 7/8 certificate right now since new categories will kick on Aug 1 anyways.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It depends on your travel plan / needs.

Caveat is - if you do not have travel plan in the next 6 to 9 months, DONT do speculative travel package redemption. You may wound up regret it.

Just a fair warning on AS - if you are thinking to use on CX you may want to examine the availability trend as a reality check. Hint - the availability has become much much harder to find, months before CX restructured its Asia Miles charts. Things have become decidedly worse.
On top of that, AS charts are very ripe for devaluation because it has been undervalued comparing to the US3.
Good warning.

Although, if you're thinking about cashing in your Marriott points for TPs, I assume you have no plans to redeem for hotel stays?
If so, the possibility that Marriott will devalue the TPs come Aug 1 is something to also consider.

Take the gamble and convert to AS now, and potentially be faced with an AS devaluation?
Or, hold your points at Marriott, and convert when needed, but then gamble on TP devaluation?
milemission likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
I think I will just pull the trigger and get two UA packages and book a week over New Years, which is always our big travel time, and one for next June.
SFO is our Hub and UA seems to be the easiest to book. I want to beat the Peak pricing and make sure I get the airline miles. We have plans to do Hawaii and London next year and these should be easy to book.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Good warning.

Although, if you're thinking about cashing in your Marriott points for TPs, I assume you have no plans to redeem for hotel stays?
Wrong assumption. We used every travel cert we have redeemed the Travel Packages in the past and would do so in the future.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Wrong assumption. We used every travel cert we have redeemed the Travel Packages in the past and would do so in the future.
I meant, I assume, you don't typically redeem points directly for hotel stays, and would instead rather use them on TPs.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I meant, I assume, you don't typically redeem points directly for hotel stays, and would instead rather use them on TPs.
We DO redeem pts directly for hotel stays. Plenty of them. Hotel points to us are primarily for hotel stays. I believe we redeemed roughly 700K Marriott pts, except 1 Cat 5 TP which was NOT to AS, the rest was all for hotel stays in 4 Continents. TP is a niche redemption when one needs long stays the TP makes more sense then just redeeming for the nights, especially with the SPG ratio. Even the SPG pts we always used for hotel stays. We have never redeemed them for miles which we have more than we can use them but we always are short in hotel points.

Really, what one redeems should always based on one's own travel needs. For us who have month long trips several times a year, the need for hotel nights is far greater than the need for having miles sitting idly in various FFP accounts.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 13, 2018 at 8:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.