Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2009, 6:25 am
Suspended

A bit surprising that they would discontinue the HI hopper what with the weak tourist economy on the island and the fact that none of the HI properties are slated to increase -- they will all stay at present categories -- from 1/15/09 onwards.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
A bit surprising that they would discontinue the HI hopper what with the weak tourist economy on the island and the fact that none of the HI properties are slated to increase -- they will all stay at present categories -- from 1/15/09 onwards.
Hopefully the situation with the HI properties and their categories will stay that way...they way things are going, I'm not betting on it.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Renard
Hopefully the situation with the HI properties and their categories will stay that way...they way things are going, I'm not betting on it.
Well, for 2009 they are set as they were not part of those to go up to Category 8, as listed earlier elswhere.

No assurances re 2010 but I would be surprised based on the current state of the economy.

By the way, anyone know if P/S will be extended into the new year. I guess I missed this, but if so, I expect alot of properties to now be offering them.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:13 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by gogogo
I too am getting conflicting information regarding the Hawaii portion of the new program. Specifically, I noticed that Hawaiian Airlines is NOT listed in the new program points structure charts for either Airline Points or Air/Hotel Package Awards.

Does anyone know if MR points to HA miles is being discountined as of Jan 15? MR customer service reps give conflicting info.

Thanks!
Hawaiian Airlines still participate in the Hotel + Air travel package. You can see them listed in the link below.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usep...ck.mi#packages

Keep in mind though that the Hawaiian sampler is a different reward from the travel package. It does not include any mileage and the nights are broken up into three separate certificates, two 2 night awards and one 3 night award, instead of one 7 night certificate like the Hotel + Air travel package.

Ira
Old Jan 8, 2009, 1:54 pm

HI Hopper question

OK. I understand that I need to book the hopper cert. before 1/15. Do I need to book the actual dates or can I wait? We're hoping to travel in December but won't be able to book the air until a while after 1/15. I'm hoping I'm reading the participating hotels for the hopper correctly.. they're now good at the Marriott in Maui as well as Waikoloa? I'm just wondering if we want to use the award in Kauai what our actual chances of using will be since there are very few "standard" rooms presently available without some sort of upgrade. Anyone have any ideas about this.
TIA
Carolyn
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Griz Shel and/or Marriott Concierge --

These questions are for you or anyone else who knows the answers:

1). Apparently pre-existing multi-night hotel only stay awards are not being offered after 1/14/09 and they apparently will also not be rolled over after their apparent expiration -- at 12/31/09 or up until 1/14/10 (1 year from the date one could possibly order one)-- as they were in the past. Is this correct?

2). Will the same lack of an ability to do a roll-over also apply to the 7 night hotel portion of travel packages ordered after 1/15/09? If so, will the hotel portions of travel packages from the past as well as the future now truly expire? If so, is it a year from issuance date to use it or lose it?

3). In the past one was able to upgrade a hotel portion of a travel package to a higher category level by paying the point difference.

What I would like to know is what would be the extra amount of points
I would have to pay were I to upgrade the hotel portion of a 7 night Category 7 travel award package ordered now for a 7 night Category 8 hotel portion of a travel award.

4). Would the hotel portion of a travel Package ordered now be subject to the same apparently very limited award blackouts in the designated hotel category contmeplated by the new system after 1/15/09?

Thanks for your patience!

NJ
Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
As long as I have known, Marriott has written and unwritten rules to their program (rolling calendar elite requalification is an example of the latter, and I think some of the renewal / change policies for TP are also.) I suspect the leeway for extension / cat. changes that is allowed under the new program will be similar to what occurs now. It is the transition period to a whole new award structure that's going to make things a little messy imo for those with the old awards, as there are sooo many complications with this.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrizShel
As long as I have known, Marriott has written and unwritten rules to their program (rolling calendar elite requalification is an example of the latter, and I think some of the renewal / change policies for TP are also.) I suspect the leeway for extension / cat. changes that is allowed under the new program will be similar to what occurs now. It is the transition period to a whole new award structure that's going to make things a little messy imo for those with the old awards, as there are sooo many complications with this.
I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my inquiries as well as making this thread, but a bit more clarity on an opaque situation is desperately needed.

How about this one for starters: Is Marriott eliminating all multi-night hotel only stay awards?

I hope that I can receive more illuminating answers to the other questions that I have posed from the Marriott Concierge, and I intend to copy and past my above inquiry directly to him so that he does not miss my post.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 2:03 pm

Good news

I've added some example old and new point comparsions that may be helpful for \.

It's clear to me that the Sampler / Hopper awards will be quite flexible in 2009 (although they cannot be extended beyond 2009).

I'm still not quite clear on what changes are allowed with the hotel part of the oldTravel Packages ordered before Jan. 15, 2009:

1. Upward change category - Never allowed? Allowed only in certain conditions?
2. Change in property (same category).
3. Change in dates (same property).

Two Marriott Rewards representatives told me in separate phone calls that the hotel portion of a MR Air/Car/Hotel travel package booked at the previous points level can be extended beyond 2009 if you pay the difference in points under the new Jan. 15, 2009 changes.

For instance, I have an unused seven-night, Category 5 stay portion of a Travel Package. I don't want to use it 2009 because I already have too many trips planned. As long as I attach it to a reservation by Jan. 14, 2009, then extend it before the January 2010 expiration date, I can pay the difference -- in this case, 35,000 points more for said Travel Package -- and use the hotel portion in 2010 as I desire.

Anyone else been told this?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Two Marriott Rewards representatives told me in separate phone calls that the hotel portion of a MR Air/Car/Hotel travel package booked at the previous points level can be extended beyond 2009 if you pay the difference in points under the new Jan. 15, 2009 changes.

For instance, I have an unused seven-night, Category 5 stay portion of a Travel Package. I don't want to use it 2009 because I already have too many trips planned. As long as I attach it to a reservation by Jan. 14, 2009, then extend it before the January 2010 expiration date, I can pay the difference -- in this case, 35,000 points more for said Travel Package -- and use the hotel portion in 2010 as I desire.

I seemed to get this assurance, as well, but this contradicts what Ira has said.

Moreover, they were unable to tell me how much more in points it would cost me for the new award --

I have a Category 7 for 7 nights and would at least like to know how much more in points it would cost me if I were permitted to do this and I decide to go for the "new" Category 7 hotel. Also, what would be the additional point outlay for a 7 night stay at a Category 8 property?

GrizShel, do you have an answer?

Thanks,

NJ
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:59 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Because there has been a lot of confusion about the sampler reward I would like to take a step back and try to clarify some things which I think will help answer your questions. First, the Hawaiian, and UK/Ireland sampler rewards will be discontinued after the 15th. However, rewards issued prior to this change will be valid until their expiration date (one year from the date they are issued). Similarly these sampler rewards can be issued after the 15th if they are being issued to honor a reservation made before the 15th. If you are planning to use any reward on the current reward schedule but are waiting for points to post. Make your reservation now and then order the reward anytime before your stay.

If a travel package or sampler reward from the current schedule is issued after the 15th in order to honor a reservation made before the 15th. It will have a final expiration date on or near January 14, 2010. (We do not have the exact date yet but it will be in January of 2010)

For example: if I made a reservation for July 7, 2009 in November 2008 and I was planning to use a sampler reward or travel package, I could order the package or sampler in June of 2009 but the expiration date would still be January 2010.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Der Ira,

Thank you for your response but kindly address the questions that I and I can See for Miles reaised. The information that we are receiving appears to contradict some of your earlier statements, perhaps because the powers that be at Marriott Rewards are still thinking through some of the effects the changes will bring and the responses to same are still in a process of evolution.

Your response ASAP would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

NJ
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear, since a lot of points are at stake:

Thanks!
    Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:45 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to be clear, since a lot of points are at stake:
    1. If a certificate is issued prior to Jan. 15, you can attach it to any new reservations without paying additional points as long as you use it by the certificate expiration?
    2. If a reservation is booked before Jan. 15, you can have the certificate issued any time before your stay at the old point schedule. The certificate will be good until some time in January 2010.
    3. What happens if you change a reservation made before January 15 after January 15? Either Date or Hotel change? Would the reservation be considered "pre-1/15" or "post-1/15"?
    4. Assuming the the answer for #1 and #2 is YES and the answer for #3 is "post-1/15", then I guess you want to do #2 before you make the change and then the rule for #1 will still apply?

Thanks!
    Old Jan 10, 2009, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by I can see for miles View Post

I spoke with a Marriott Rewards supervisor yesterday, and, unfortunately, she told me otherwise. According to her, Travel Package hotel certificates can't be extended beyond January 2010 -- even if you pay the difference in points between the old and new redemption level. She said the policy was clarified this week.

If anyone -- Marriott Rewards reps, especially -- knows of a way to extend the certificates beyond the January 2010 expiration date, please share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.