Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:13 am

For a hotel that is increasing in category on March 6, for a stay in September, could I book seven nights now at thcurrentcategory (6) on points now, and apply the hotel and flight package a few months from now, retaining the current pricing as a category six, and not the new pricing as a category seven?

ressons why this might be to my advantage are

i may not have enough points now

i want to order the package later so that it has a later expiration date in case I don’t travel as planned and want to use it latrr
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Jared Ito
For a hotel that is increasing in category on March 6, for a stay in September, could I book seven nights now at thcurrentcategory (6) on points now, and apply the hotel and flight package a few months from now, retaining the current pricing as a category six, and not the new pricing as a category seven?
Yes, I have done this in the past.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Yes, I have done this in the past.
Is there a limit for reservations made without having the point amounts? I see several travel packages in my future but do not have the points yet to get them. (hello JAL refund to SPG hopefully sooner than later).
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:13 pm

Hello All,

Newbie here, please excuse the questions below if they seem silly.

I have a current 7 night stay (travel package certificate) at a category 6 hotel booked for April.
I went through the category update occurring in March, and saw that a nearby hotel is moving from category 7 to category 6. I'd much prefer to stay at that hotel instead.

A few questions I have:
  • Can I change my reservations? If so, can I do it myself online, or do I need to phone in.
  • I assume in order to apply my 7 night certificate, the hotel would need to have award availability? If I check online using my dates, and room availability using points comes up, does that mean I'm good to go?

Thanks in advance guys
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:22 am

Hello All,

I have a current 7 night stay (travel package certificate) at a category 6 hotel booked for April.
I went through the category update occurring in March, and saw that a nearby hotel is moving from category 7 to category 6. I'd much prefer to stay at that hotel instead.

A few questions I have:
  • Can I change my reservations? If so, can I do it myself online, or do I need to phone in.
  • I assume in order to apply my 7 night certificate, the hotel would need to have award availability? If I check online using my dates, and room availability using points comes up, does that mean I'm good to go?

Thanks in advance guys
a) You should be able to change your reservation. Usually, redemption reservations have a generous cancellation policy (you can check in your reservation). You should be able to cancel online as long as the certificate has not been attached to the reservation. If it has, I suggest you call.b) Yes, the new hotel you're trying to book needs to have award availability. Please be aware that the new categories won't kick in before 6 March, so you shouldn't book earlier than that if you want to make sure the booking reflects the new category. Maybe you would like to hold on to your current reservation until then.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by funkbandit
Please be aware that the new categories won't kick in before 6 March, so you shouldn't book earlier than that if you want to make sure the booking reflects the new category. Maybe you would like to hold on to your current reservation until then.
You can book now, and when the new categories kick in on March 6th, your reservation will show the change to a category 6. You can then call in to apply your travel package cert to the reservation.

Not in your, but if you had already applied points to a reservation starting after March 6th, you could call Marriott afterwards to refund the points. On a travel cert, it's a bit more awkward - ask them to remove the cert from the reservation, then downgrade the cert to a category 6 (if they still allow it - most answers have been yes, so it may be a hang up and retry if they say no), then reattach it.

And just to be complete, if you make a reservation at a category 6 now which moves to a category 7 but don't have the points / certificate to attach now, the booking category will be on the reservation, and calling in will allow the agent to apply the points / cert as a category 6.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:41 am

Just for clarification, I already have a reservation at a category 6 hotel with the certificate attached.

My plan was to just call in after March 6th and ask the agent to confirm whether the new hotel (to be category 6 too) has availability. If confirmed, I was going to ask the agent to cancel my existing reservation, and book the new reservation with my certificate.

Would this work?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Just for clarification, I already have a reservation at a category 6 hotel with the certificate attached.

My plan was to just call in after March 6th and ask the agent to confirm whether the new hotel (to be category 6 too) has availability. If confirmed, I was going to ask the agent to cancel my existing reservation, and book the new reservation with my certificate.

Would this work?
Yes. But you can also make the reservation right now for points, even at the higher value, ask them not to actually pull the point now and call back once the amount drops and change to the lower amount. You might even be able to book at the lower amount if you call Marriott. You do not have to wait to make the reservation. It's always better to have the reservation made.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Hello All,

A few questions I have:

Thanks in advance guys
Way easier to call in to make these kinds of changes. As long as you have not violated the terms of cancellation that you agreed to at booking, you can make changes or cancel a reservation (per those terms, of course). As for having award availability to complete the reservation, sometimes this has been the case, but other times (over the phone) they have been able to force inventory open for me so that I could use the certificate.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:35 pm

Thanks for the great answers guys.
I'll give Marriott a call and see what they can do.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:33 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
So I emailed Marriott to extend one of my 7 night cat 1-5 vouchers. Logged in today and see Rewards Certificate: P830 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 1-5
Does that mean it's the same as before (7 night cat 1-5)?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jason8612
So I emailed Marriott to extend one of my 7 night cat 1-5 vouchers. Logged in today and see Rewards Certificate: P830 PARTIAL PKG-CAT 1-5
Does that mean it's the same as before (7 night cat 1-5)?
The term "PARTIAL" is Marriott's internal notation meaning it's the nights only, not the airline miles (which were already awarded). Does the expiry date reflect the extension?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:24 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The term "PARTIAL" is Marriott's internal notation meaning it's the nights only, not the airline miles (which were already awarded). Does the expiry date reflect the extension?
It does
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
Just transfered to alaska using TP and the agent told me it takes 2 weeks. Is it take that long or usually faster? Can i get free expedited with gold marriott?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bidu
Just transfered to alaska using TP and the agent told me it takes 2 weeks. Is it take that long or usually faster? Can i get free expedited with gold marriott?
I sent to UA last week and that took 3 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.