Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by shutter41
Can you still refund an unused 7 night certificate for some number of points returned to your account?
AFAIK, yes. A Cat. 1-5 cert should return 45k points, a Cat. 6 cert should return 75k points and so on.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:27 pm

If I need 2 rooms, I assume I need to make two separate bookings since the certificate is only good for one room? Would this be best dealt with while calling in or can I go ahead and make the two bookings online and then call to attach both certificates?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
If I need 2 rooms, I assume I need to make two separate bookings since the certificate is only good for one room? Would this be best dealt with while calling in or can I go ahead and make the two bookings online and then call to attach both certificates?
It's no problem to make the two bookings online and call in to attach the certificates.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Has anyone redeemed a Travel Package to Turkish Airlines recently? Any data points on how long it took for the miles to post in the TK account? I redeemed 1 week ago and no sign so far. This is my second TP redemption and the last one (to a different airline) posted within a couple of days. If redemption availability goes on my TK flights I might have to fly in Y
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:38 am

If I use the certs for a 7 day booking and decide to leave on the 6th day (staying only 5 nights), any possible way to get a credit or adjustment from Marriott? I know this is a long shot but doesn't hurt to ask.

Anyone with experience on this?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:52 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ponickka
If I use the certs for a 7 day booking and decide to leave on the 6th day (staying only 5 nights), any possible way to get a credit or adjustment from Marriott? I know this is a long shot but doesn't hurt to ask.

Anyone with experience on this?
Nope. The cert is either used or not. If it is used for a single night stay, it is still used and no credit for unused nights. Sorry.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I've tried a couple times and always gotten a no. I also once tried to break it up into two stays where we would be in Hotel/City A for four nights, go to Hotel/City B for two nights and return to Hotel A for three additional nights, using the seven night cert for the seven nights at A, and was turned down. This is a hotel where I stay frequently and has made some other exceptions in the past but they wouldn't budge on the seven consecutive days, which leads me to believe Marriott is firm on this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Back in the stone age Marriott had a European package that allowed the member to opt for 2, and on some rare times, 3 different hotels that they could use the 7-night TP at................
CJKatl likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:53 am

Just for Data point:

Initiate the Air travel package for United Mileage yesterday and received the points today. Only took 1 business day instead of 3 as advised by the rep.
BCH likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by ponickka
Just for Data point:

Initiate the Air travel package for United Mileage yesterday and received the points today. Only took 1 business day instead of 3 as advised by the rep.
And my TK Miles & Smiles are still nowhere to be seen. I'm certainly not smiling as others take away all the reward availability
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:46 am

I have two querstions. I have a category 8 package to use this year.
I am going to the los angeles area. If I am doing tourist sightseeing what are would be best?
Second question - When I look at residence inns it says reward is for studio. What is the probility that I can get upgraded to the normal suite room?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:51 am

When planning for a lot of touristy stuff, we like staying in West Hollywood - lots of food and nightlife nearby, close to the Hollywood scene and an easy trip to the beaches. We honestly prefer Airbnb in LA, only stayed in a hotel last time because we had a travel package about to expire. Given your Marriott options at Cat 8, we'd probably do the Marriott Beverly Hills for the location. That's not a great option if most of what you want to do is Disney, but otherwise I think it's a good base for daily exploration.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ktmangione
I am going to the los angeles area. If I am doing tourist sightseeing what are would be best?
Second question - When I look at residence inns it says reward is for studio. What is the probility that I can get upgraded to the normal suite room?
I did a similar trip with two nieces and a nephew a few years back. They loved it. I loved it. You made a good choice.

We stayed at the Residence Inn in Burbank, which was a good hotel, in two rooms. I was Plat Prem at the time. I called and begged and begged and begged. They did UG one of the rooms to a one-bedroom, but it wasn't guaranteed before check-in and required every negotiation skill in my arsenal. We were not charged extra for the UG, and it was on points. The hotel was packed. The breakfast was good for an RI breakfast, parking was easy and the staff was awesome. The location worked well because of family we were visiting in the area but as with anyplace in LA, we had to drive an hour or so each day to and from our destination. While the hotel isn't glamorous, it was clean, had a pool and was an easy walk to downtown Burbank which has some funky restaurants and shops.

Because LA is sprawling and tourist areas are not close together, I'd go to a map app, plug in what you want to see and determine if there is an area that would lessen the amount of driving you will need to do while there. Of course, if you plug in the Getty Museum, Malibu, Santa Monica and the southern beaches, Warner Bros Studios, Disneyland, the tar pits, the farmer's market and Hollywood you will see there is no real central location.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ktmangione
I’ll answer the first question.

It completely depends on which tourist venues you plan to visit. Given the distances and extreme traffic, a suitable recommendation can vary greatly. Find where you want to be spending most of your time.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Has anyone redeemed a Travel Package to Turkish Airlines recently? Any data points on how long it took for the miles to post in the TK account? I redeemed 1 week ago and no sign so far. This is my second TP redemption and the last one (to a different airline) posted within a couple of days. If redemption availability goes on my TK flights I might have to fly in Y
Took 2 weeks and 3 days as a data point for anyone else who does this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.