Marriott Travel Packages

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Slickw
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Oct 5, 17, 4:00 am
phb

Hi

Naive question here. How do I take advantage of the travel package AND the BA promo? Do I simply order the travel package on-line at Marriott.com and the bonus Avios are credited automatically?
Old Oct 5, 17, 5:11 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LTPP; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Sorry, it looks like I may have misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking if you upgraded a room if you had to pay the upgrade fee for the same # of nights in the cert. The answer there is no, you only have to pay the upgrade fee for the nights you actually stay at the hotel.

If you are asking about upgrading the cert from say a Cat. 6 to a Cat. 7 cert. Then yes, you have to upgrade the complete cert no matter how many nights you ultimately decide to stay when using that cert.

Sorry if I misunderstood and cause a bit of confusion.
Old Oct 5, 17, 8:28 am
alc

Originally Posted by phb View Post
Hi

Naive question here. How do I take advantage of the travel package AND the BA promo? Do I simply order the travel package on-line at Marriott.com and the bonus Avios are credited automatically?
You will need to call in to order a Travel Package, other than that, you shouldn't need to do anything extra.
Old Oct 5, 17, 8:49 am
phb

Originally Posted by alc View Post
You will need to call in to order a Travel Package, other than that, you shouldn't need to do anything extra.
Thanks. I'll get that sorted this weekend
Old Oct 5, 17, 9:00 am

Sorry if this has been asked recently - what's the actual time frame for miles to show up in my AA account? I believe the fine print says 6 weeks, but wanted to find out what the experience has actually been.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 5, 17, 10:29 am
alc

Originally Posted by DVDBob View Post
Sorry if this has been asked recently - what's the actual time frame for miles to show up in my AA account? I believe the fine print says 6 weeks, but wanted to find out what the experience has actually been.

Thanks in advance.
I recall my transfer took 3 days earlier this year during the AA convert promo.
Old Oct 6, 17, 11:11 pm

Hello Anyone!

Today I try to call 1-800-321-7396 to order RewardsPlus Hotel + Air Package for 200000, but then they keep transfer to different department and they have no ideas what i am talking about about the hotel + air package. So I hand up and call again, but this time they saying there is no such package???? is there any direct phone number I can call regard to this? or is there an online option i can redeem without talking to them? 2 hours for nothing thank you for any advice!
Old Oct 7, 17, 12:13 am

Is this supposed to say this for a travel package reward? No e-certs attached?
Old Oct 7, 17, 12:54 am
alc

Originally Posted by newdaybegin View Post
Hello Anyone!

Today I try to call 1-800-321-7396 to order RewardsPlus Hotel + Air Package for 200000, but then they keep transfer to different department and they have no ideas what i am talking about about the hotel + air package. So I hand up and call again, but this time they saying there is no such package???? is there any direct phone number I can call regard to this? or is there an online option i can redeem without talking to them? 2 hours for nothing thank you for any advice!
It is the Marriott Rewards team that order these. I found the automated system really like to transfer you to normal reservation team all the time. If you do, just ask them to transfer you to a Marriott Rewards agent to discuss about your account detail.

Originally Posted by Yellowjj View Post

Is this supposed to say this for a travel package reward? No e-certs attached?
No, that means the 7-night cert has not been attached to the reservation. You will need to contact Marriott to have it attach. For this, I had normal Reservation agent put me on hold and come back and tell me it had been attached while others had transfer me over to Marriott Rewards agent and they attached it over the fly, hardly ever put me on hold that I recall.
Old Oct 7, 17, 5:40 pm

It is the Marriott Rewards team that order these. I found the automated system really like to transfer you to normal reservation team all the time. If you do, just ask them to transfer you to a Marriott Rewards agent to discuss about your account detail.
Yes it worked, and I able to reserve for my package. I also see the certificate for 7 night in my account, do i able to use this to reserve the room online or i need to call in to use it? thank you!
Old Oct 8, 17, 7:00 am
alc

Yes it worked, and I able to reserve for my package. I also see the certificate for 7 night in my account, do i able to use this to reserve the room online or i need to call in to use it? thank you!
In my view, there are a couple of ways to use these certs, but both do end up require to call in, here is a post I had in the past where I list out the 2 options:

post 2154
Old Oct 8, 17, 7:22 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LTPP; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
I have a TP cert sitting in my account right now. Last night I tried and tried to find a way to get the cert applied to an existing awards reservation and new awards reservations, but couldn't get it attached using the online tool. So I'll have to call in to get it attached.

I think the issue has to do with the fact that while the cert "looks" like one cert, I've been told that it is in fact 2 certs (a 5 night and a 2 night cert). I'm guessing the online tool looks for any "single" cert that will meet the award reservation criteria. Thus the online tool can't apply the TP cert (even to a 5 night or less reservation as I tried that as well just to see if it would work.)
Old Oct 8, 17, 11:11 am

Yes, you can order the 7-night hotel + SW miles package from your account and have your sister's family use the 7-night Cert and have the booking all under her name. This is officially allow by Marriott.

Here is what you can do:

Option 1) call in and make the booking and feed the agent with all the info

Option 2) make the 7-night hotel reservation online, during the process, enter all your sister information - Address, Phone Number, email address, and credit card. Then call in to request to attach the certificate and also change the guest name from your name to your sister name

I do Option 2 myself as I don't need to feed as much info over the phone.

Hope this help.
Alc: I try to do option 2 which booked online, but it not worked. So I call in to reserve the room to attached the certificate to the reservation, now my question to you is if I want to book my mother as primary person. Do I call back and ask them to remove my name to change it to my mother name?

Also could you please clarify when you say you book the reservation online with point or money then call in to ask them to attached the certificate? because I am not quite understand how you use option 2? thank you very much Alc for all the explanation
Old Oct 8, 17, 11:51 am

I have two separate back to back res (5+1) and two agents told me i could not apply a cert unless they are combined. Is this a case of huca or should i try to get in touch with hotel reservations directly to combine?
Old Oct 8, 17, 12:11 pm
alc

Alc: I try to do option 2 which booked online, but it not worked. So I call in to reserve the room to attached the certificate to the reservation, now my question to you is if I want to book my mother as primary person. Do I call back and ask them to remove my name to change it to my mother name?

Also could you please clarify when you say you book the reservation online with point or money then call in to ask them to attached the certificate? because I am not quite understand how you use option 2? thank you very much Alc for all the explanation
If your stay is with-in the next 8 (or 10??) days, you will not be able to make an award booking without points, could that be the case for you? My option #2 is to make a regular award booking online, at the page where you see your credit card and stuff, you can edit everything from address, email, phone number, etc... except your name. After you make the booking, then call in and have the agent attached the cert. Once the cert attached, you can then ask the agent to edit the guest. You can indeed completely removed your name and have just your mother name in it. Do make sure the person that will be checking-in is the Primary guest name, as I had issue before where secondary name will disappear somehow. Hope this help.

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
I have two separate back to back res (5+1) and two agents told me i could not apply a cert unless they are combined. Is this a case of huca or should i try to get in touch with hotel reservations directly to combine?
That is correct, the 7-night can only applied to a single reservation. Can you not extend the 1st (5-nights) reservation into 6-nights? Is it because the hotel is now full? If so, call the hotel explain the situation and ask them to change the booking to a 6-nights reservation for you. They will see that you do "own" that night on the separate reservation. Good Luck.

Search this Thread