Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by alc
You could also just walk out the hotel and tell them you might be back. Call them on the 8th day morning and said you will not be back. So, this way you get 2 extra nights credited
Hi Alc, sorry but I don't get it. What do you meant the 8th day? Given that there are only 7 days in the certificate? Does the hotel actually refund 2 nights points?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:23 am
alc

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Hi Alc, sorry but I don't get it. What do you meant the 8th day? Given that there are only 7 days in the certificate? Does the hotel actually refund 2 nights points?
my comment is that if you end up can't get any points refund (which is not normal that you do) you can at least try to get the 2 extra Elite Nights credit to your account by making the booking as 7 nights. You will leave on the 6th day (after you stay for 5 nights) but your official check-out will be on the 8th day (after the 7th night night)
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I am looking to redeem a Cat 9 Travel Package to take advantage of the BA promo. However I only want to stay at the Cat 9 hotel for 5 days instead of 7 days. Is it possible to just book the 7 days and use the certificate, and check out on 5th day (say emergency or something), and just forfeit the last 2 days of the stay without further penalty? Also is there anyway to get those "2 days" back?
You can just book the 5 nights and have them apply the 7-night certificate. You will lose the two nights but then you won't have to worry about saying there is an emergency. I booked 6 nights in Hawaii and called just yesterday to have them apply my 7-night certificate. No issue at all.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Kamchatsky, I suppose you could book a 7-nighter, then phone the Reservations Manager at the hotel to say (truthfully or otherwise) that you will be attending an annual or other recurring event, so could s/he please bend the rules by giving you a 5-nighter & a later 2-nighter for your cert. Or you could post on The Coupon Connection to offer a "gift" of the nights beyond your stay to another FTer who will stay as a "friend joining you in your room ."
Or just book as Cherryblossom55 says, or change your booking to that if the above fails & accept that you'll be forfeiting/ wasting the last 2 nights.
If you book 7 nights, then check out after 5, you may be charged an Early Departure Fee if the hotel has one !
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
If you book 7 nights, then check out after 5, you may be charged an Early Departure Fee if the hotel has one !
I'm not aware of any DPs where this has been charged since you're forfeiting the two nights and the hotel is being compensated for them.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Should be true, Willbur! Usually an EDF is a half to one full night's room rent. In this case one is paying 2 nights' room rent--albeit with points, not $ ! In that case, Kamchatsky should book 7 nights just in case 'something suddenly comes up' where he wants to stay longer.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
Should be true, Willbur! Usually an EDF is a half to one full night's room rent. In this case one is paying 2 nights' room rent--albeit with points, not $ ! In that case, Kamchatsky should book 7 nights just in case 'something suddenly comes up' where he wants to stay longer.
I don't get what this fuss is about. Hotels do not have a curfew. Just leave before your reservation period ends and check out over the app or phone on the check out date. No hassle, no EDF but a credit for a full 7 rewards nights.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by cherryblossom55
You can just book the 5 nights and have them apply the 7-night certificate. You will lose the two nights but then you won't have to worry about saying there is an emergency. I booked 6 nights in Hawaii and called just yesterday to have them apply my 7-night certificate. No issue at all.
Here's a thought and I don't know if it would work, but is it possible to transfer the MRP to a Marriott Vacation Club member and have she or he make the five night reservation for you? I have never transferred points so I have no idea but as a Vacation Club Member I am able to book 5 night vacations on the Leisure Packages.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:21 pm

If I purchase a 7-night stay for cat 1-5 and want to upgrade to cat 8, but only plan on staying for 5 nights -- can I only pay the upgrade for 5 nights and throw away the final 2 nights?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Assuming your buy is intended to mean using points, No

But why not just buy (again, points) 5 nights at your Cat 8 and pay for 4 ?

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
If I purchase a 7-night stay for cat 1-5 and want to upgrade to cat 8, but only plan on staying for 5 nights -- can I only pay the upgrade for 5 nights and throw away the final 2 nights?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:19 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Yes you can. The upgrade charges will only be for the nights you actually are staying at the hotel.

I ordered a TP reservation and will be using it for a 6 night stay. The hotel I am staying at had an oceanfront upgrade (4 upgrade coupons or 20K per night). I used the 7-night TP cert for the hotel reservation and was only charged 120K (20K*6 nights) for the upgrade to oceanfront.

Note that if you are using a 5 night award (pay 4 nights get the 5th night free), if you upgrade the room, you will still have to pay the upgrade fee on all nights including the free night.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:00 pm
Suspended

So, let me get this straight.
Your confirming that I can prorate the 90,000 point upgrade from Cat 5 TP to a Cat 8 TP based upon the number of days I’ll actually use the TP ?

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Yes you can. The upgrade charges will only be for the nights you actually are staying at the hotel.

I ordered a TP reservation and will be using it for a 6 night stay. The hotel I am staying at had an oceanfront upgrade (4 upgrade coupons or 20K per night). I used the 7-night TP cert for the hotel reservation and was only charged 120K (20K*6 nights) for the upgrade to oceanfront.

Note that if you are using a 5 night award (pay 4 nights get the 5th night free), if you upgrade the room, you will still have to pay the upgrade fee on all nights including the free night.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Srisarin
So, let me get this straight.
Your confirming that I can prorate the 90,000 point upgrade from Cat 5 TP to a Cat 8 TP based upon the number of days I’ll actually use the TP ?
I believe he's confirming something different - he's talking about upgrading rooms. Not sure how they would allow you to only upgrade 5 nights since it's a 7 night cert and the point prices are stated. This is probably as YMMV as getting a 5-night stay. If you really want that you're probably better off spending your time trying to get that elusive 5-night cert.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:21 pm
Suspended

He might but I’ll wait for hhooper01 to respond cause my NO response was what I interpreted DaveInLA trying to do which hhooper01 was responded yes to.

Originally Posted by Willbur
I believe he's confirming something different - he's talking about upgrading rooms. Not sure how they would allow you to only upgrade 5 nights since it's a 7 night cert and the point prices are stated. This is probably as YMMV as getting a 5-night stay. If you really want that you're probably better off spending your time trying to get that elusive 5-night cert.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:50 pm

I had actually wished for this in the past. The 7 night certificate breaks into a 5 night and 2 night certificate at some point (I don't remember if I applied it to a reservation and cancelled it or if it was when I got it extended or something else). I had a 5 night reservation on a hotel that was going up a category and decided to use the certificate for that. A flight was cancelled and we had to stay an extra day, but of course it was now a category 7 instead of 6. I wished they could just increase the 2 nights for 10K points, and I would use that towards the reservation. But that didn't happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.