Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:31 pm
alc

Originally Posted by maal99
I'm looking to redeem for a 5/7N cert to use next year. Unfortunately, I probably won't make Gold again. Has anyone had success in using the cert to make a reservation in someone else's name who has elite status so that his/her status attaches for upgrades/club/breakfast, etc?

Thanks
My experience had been that if you are Gold/Plat, then you get your elite benefits as the hotel guest. Or if the cert owner is Gold/Plat, then the hotel will provide elite benefits based on the cert owner status

So, in your situation, the cert owner is yourself. So, you might need that elite status friend to contact the hotel for you in advance and ask put note in their system, thinking he/she will show up.

Good Luck
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by alc
My experience had been that if you are Gold/Plat, then you get your elite benefits as the hotel guest. Or if the cert owner is Gold/Plat, then the hotel will provide elite benefits based on the cert owner status

So, in your situation, the cert owner is yourself. So, you might need that elite status friend to contact the hotel for you in advance and ask put note in their system, thinking he/she will show up.

Good Luck
OK. He actually would be going so it sounds like it should be ok. We usually book under his name since he has the higher status but I have the Marriott points. I wasn't sure if they'd recognize his status (SPG match) even though the reservation is in my name. Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum-to-be, Hyatt Platinum
Has anyone had luck getting a 5-night Travel Package recently, or is that totally dead? I've tried customer service in 4 different regions and get the same answer from all of them: you have to be a Vacation Club owner.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by spartan301
Has anyone had luck getting a 5-night Travel Package recently, or is that totally dead? I've tried customer service in 4 different regions and get the same answer from all of them: you have to be a Vacation Club owner.
I HUCAd 10-12 times last month, tried my best but no dice.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by nli007
I HUCAd 10-12 times last month, tried my best but no dice.
The 5 night travel package has always been for MVCI owners. You may have gotten it in the past without being an owner, but it seems like then enforce it now.

Billy
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:29 pm

Has anyone taken advantage of the current 35% bonus to Aeroplan? If so, did the bonus miles show up shortly after the transfer? Or does it take the full 4-6 weeks listed in the terms?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:51 am
alc

Originally Posted by boliver7
Has anyone taken advantage of the current 35% bonus to Aeroplan? If so, did the bonus miles show up shortly after the transfer? Or does it take the full 4-6 weeks listed in the terms?
See my posts at the following thread:

2017 Summer Conversion Promo (Until Aug 21)
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Do you have to call to book the 7 night hotel stay with the certificate? i definitely have the cert on my account but when I search for a hotel "using points" and find a hotel in the right category with award availability for all 7 nights, I do not get any option to attach the certificate on the final booking page. What am I doing wrong?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:25 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Do you have to call to book the 7 night hotel stay with the certificate? i definitely have the cert on my account but when I search for a hotel "using points" and find a hotel in the right category with award availability for all 7 nights, I do not get any option to attach the certificate on the final booking page. What am I doing wrong?
Yes call and they will take care of everything for you...
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by t1c
Yes call and they will take care of everything for you...
Thanks. For some reason I thought these were bookable online. My mistake.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:37 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Thanks. For some reason I thought these were bookable online. My mistake.
No problem glad to help.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If i have an award stay already booked and hotel goes up in category, will i still be able to attach package cert?
i d like to wait until next conversion bonus with ua as long as it doent introduce any risk..
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:04 am
t1c

Originally Posted by azepine00
If i have an award stay already booked and hotel goes up in category, will i still be able to attach package cert?
i d like to wait until next conversion bonus with ua as long as it doent introduce any risk..
Marriott will honor the originally booked category...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:54 am

Is there any way to change a 7 night cert to points?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by amexha
Is there any way to change a 7 night cert to points?
You may get the "hotel" portion back if it was a "hotel + air" package. But this isn't standard procedure and the "hotel" portion is very low compared to the price of the original "hotel + air" package.

It may even be better to use the certificate for just one ore two nights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.