Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Does Marriott usually have a specific time of yea where they announce category changes ?

I want to use out Cat 7 cert in November 2018 at the Courtyard Ft Lauderedale Beach so I have to check and make sure it's category doesn't change.

Thanks
I want to say Feb/March-ish is when they announce category changes. (I could easily be wrong on this.) They announce the changes, give you about a month to book at old rates, meaning you can lock in a stay about a year out from when they announce the category changes.

So for a Nov 2018 stay, you have to survive 1 round of Category Creep.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Does Marriott usually have a specific time of yea where they announce category changes ?

I want to use out Cat 7 cert in November 2018 at the Courtyard Ft Lauderdale Beach so I have to check and make sure it's category doesn't change.

Thanks
A big IIRC, yes, middle of next month. They used to give until mid May to book at old rates but that's been severely cut back in recent years, maybe 2 weeks or so.

Marie will come on once a year with big fanfare to announce a heads up for FT members and we won't hear from her again.

90% chance, IMO, that property will increase.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
There ought to be a law against Category 8 Courtyards. Sorry.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:00 pm

For what it's worth, my 120,000 Southwest points arrived in my account about 21 hours after I phoned Marriott for my TP. ^

Not that I really needed them that fast, but still...Marriott gets a ^ for it anyway.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I actually prefer this Courtyard over the CAT 8 Marriots in the area..........far from your typical CY

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...derdale-beach/

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 27, 2017 at 2:12 pm
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Cat 5 would be my limit if I was king...
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I had a relative who did the package for WN CP. He was a few hundred points short of the package he wanted, and they rounded up. Impressed with the service!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by joshua362
Cat 5 would be my limit if I was king...
I've stayed at a couple Cat7 Courtyards, and.... I must say.... that when you walk into a hotel and smell the oxidized frying oil that they use in their disgusting kitchens throughout the entire lobby.... they are not deserving of anything more than Cat5.

This is the case at many of the CY hotels I stayed in through the last few years.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Would like to convert an existing rez of 7 nights to a travel package, but on my account it is showing as 5 nights + 2 nights. I think this might be because I originally reserved 5 nights and had to call and have them add 2 later. Is this a problem for booking the 7-night TP? If I try to create a new reservation, I'm offered only a king, and I need the 2 queens that I have in the 5+2 rez.

Tried calling MR today but when it transfers me over to operator from auto menu, phone cuts off. Every time.

Here's what my rez says:

Hotel Reward: 5 Nights, Category 8 Hotel 1 160,000
Hotel Reward: 2 Nights, Category 8 Hotel 1 80,000
Total points for stay: 240,000

Update: I finally got through to MR on the phone. So for future reference: 7-night award certs don't exist. It's always 5 + 2. To confirm this, I booked a dummy award rez for 7 nights at a random Marriott. Voila: 5 + 2.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 29, 2017 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
I did look but have a dumb question. Can I book a travel package on line. and since I do not know where I want to go, can I leave the destination open?

Just want to get it done before the loop hole closes for WN.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:13 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ceres
Can I book a travel package on line. and since I do not know where I want to go, can I leave the destination open?

Just want to get it done before the loop hole closes for WN.
I'll answer what I think you are asking. Ask again if I have it wrong.

I believe the only way to redeem a travel package is to call. And in my experience their award desk is closed on Sunday (though it was open on the Sunday right after the ability to move points was announced).

When you redeem a package, you identify the airline where you want the points to go. You do not need to book specific flights. You also do not need to book the hotel where you will use that portion of the award. Rather, the award goes into your account.

How did I do? Did I swing and miss?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'll answer what I think you are asking. Ask again if I have it wrong.

I believe the only way to redeem a travel package is to call. And in my experience their award desk is closed on Sunday (though it was open on the Sunday right after the ability to move points was announced).

When you redeem a package, you identify the airline where you want the points to go. You do not need to book specific flights. You also do not need to book the hotel where you will use that portion of the award. Rather, the award goes into your account.

How did I do? Did I swing and miss?
you are Karnak the magnificent . (I think that's how they spell it.)

You perfectly answered my question.
thank you
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:05 pm

I was looking at a couple of different hotels that when I click "Use Points" tell me that they are not available. Is using points the same as using one of these certificates? I've accumulated a number of Marriott points over the years, but I don't have much (any?) experience actually redeeming them.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bullfrog23414
I was looking at a couple of different hotels that when I click "Use Points" tell me that they are not available. Is using points the same as using one of these certificates? I've accumulated a number of Marriott points over the years, but I don't have much (any?) experience actually redeeming them.
Correct. Using the cert. is the same as an award stay. Points availability has to be available to use your cert.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
For what it's worth, my 120,000 Southwest points arrived in my account about 21 hours after I phoned Marriott for my TP. ^

Not that I really needed them that fast, but still...Marriott gets a ^ for it anyway.
Good to know. I just called in for the TP this morning and want to book some WN flights asap. I'll keep checking back for the points. Did your CP post at the same time as the points?

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 30, 2017 at 10:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.