Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by longleaf
Is the 5 night Marriott travel package available to all Marriott members now? I recall some old blog posts noting it was just for timeshare owners or elites. I'm shy of the the number of Marriott points for the 7 night package but can afford the 5 night Marriott travel package to get the SW companion pass.

I see answers the above now. Thx
Sort of.

The 5 night packages have always been for timeshare owners only but computers do not differentiate. If you can find a rep that will book it for you, it can be done. However they are being much more sticklers in enforcing the timeshare rule. Some will even say the system does not allow, which is not true.

My experience yesterday:

Called and asked nicely for a 5 night package. Got shot down 3 times. Then someone said "That's supposed to be for timeshare owners only, but let me see what I can do." Then the line cut off. In three hours called back, shot down again. Called again, and as soon as I asked the person confirmed my airline, asked me for my rewards number, and then before I knew what was going on, booked it. It seems that if the rep says no, you are best off thanking them and HUCA. "Making my case" didn't help at all with any rep.

I then got this blissful email:

Description: 5 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotels
Reward code: 530T
Valid through: Saturday, January 6, 2018
Total points redeemed: 235,000
Confirmed on: Friday, January 6, 2017

TL;DR: You can still book a 5 night travel package in Jan 2017 without being a timeshare owner. I have Gold status.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Iheartshopping
Sort of.

The 5 night packages have always been for timeshare owners only but computers do not differentiate. If you can find a rep that will book it for you, it can be done. However they are being much more sticklers in enforcing the timeshare rule. Some will even say the system does not allow, which is not true.

My experience yesterday:

Called and asked nicely for a 5 night package. Got shot down 3 times. Then someone said "That's supposed to be for timeshare owners only, but let me see what I can do." Then the line cut off. In three hours called back, shot down again. Called again, and as soon as I asked the person confirmed my airline, asked me for my rewards number, and then before I knew what was going on, booked it. It seems that if the rep says no, you are best off thanking them and HUCA. "Making my case" didn't help at all with any rep.

I then got this blissful email:

Description: 5 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotels
Reward code: 530T
Valid through: Saturday, January 6, 2018
Total points redeemed: 235,000
Confirmed on: Friday, January 6, 2017

TL;DR: You can still book a 5 night travel package in Jan 2017 without being a timeshare owner. I have Gold status.
Was this for the 7 night package that would normally cost 270,000? If so, to me, it seems like a lot of effort to save 35,000 points and miss out on 2 nights at a "bargain" rate.

But if you couldn't or want to be in 1 place for 7 nights and was going to throw them away anyway, I guess it makes sense....

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 7, 2017 at 9:18 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
From the Wiki......
If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points

I have no need for the hotel until November 2018. The hotel we will be staying at ( Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach) is currently a cat 7 so I will buy a cat 7 package.

Should the hotel go up in price ( points) before I book (December 2017) and I didn't have enough Marriott points could I pay the difference in cash ?

We have plenty of Marriott points but I am going to book this in my wifes name as I already have CP for 2017. I need to transfer 330K to her Marriott account for the TP and should the Marriott/SPG transfers be shut down before we book the cert she wouldn't have any points in her Marriott account to upgrade the TP hotel cert.
I would still order the Cat 1-5, you can use the upgrade in category later to actually extend the certificate. Upgrading certificate actual requires MR to reissue it, when you upgrade, the new cert at the new category is good for another year. Still have to make a call no matter what, either to upgrade or extend. But I have had reps (I think from a foreign call center) tell me I couldn't extend, but was able to in the end.

Originally Posted by turin39789
I called twice, hoping to get a 5 night but couldn't even get someone to help me with the 7 night.

First guy gave me the number to Marriott Vacations.

They sent me back, said I needed to book the hotel stay and then would be transferred back to get air miles.

HACU, got another rep on the gold line, had to put me on hold, got a similar story. I needed to have dates and hotel picked out and then would be transferred to Marriott Vacations.

I sincerely hope this is on my and I'm calling the wrong numbers.
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Similar situation for me - within the last hour a family member (no status) called the number for Marriott Rewards listed on the website and was told almost the same thing (a reservation needed to be made before they could do anything else). I was hoping not to have to get directly involved, but we will see.

Edit: I will try the number listed in the previous post and report back.

2nd Edit: The number above should work fine. However, if you are trying to combine points between accounts you either a) have to be moving 50000 pts or less, or b) you have to make (or be ready to make) a reservation for the hotel stay first.
I find calling Marriott Rewards Customer Service during regular business hours is best. Reservations doesn't seem to be able to handle these requests well. But I did recently hear that you can order 7 night packages online.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Was this for the 7 night package that would normally cost 270,000? If so, to me, it seems like a lot of effort to save 35,000 points and miss out on 2 nights at a "bargain" rate.

But if you couldn't or want to be in 1 place for 7 nights and was going to throw them away anyway, I guess it makes sense....
There are a few considerations here.

1. (Most important) I only had 80K SPG = 240K Marriott. I could have topped off with 30K MR => 10K SPG => 30K Marriott but I really did not want to do that.

2. The 5 night package is supposedly easier to redeem as it is easier to find availability in the same location for 5 nights than 7 nights. The 7 night package must (by def) include a weekend, which makes it hard to use in a lot of cases

3. The 7 night package costs significantly more to upgrade. If I want to stay in a cat 7 hotel, the difference would be 35K to upgrade a night package vs 60K to upgrade a 7 night.

4. (Subjective) 7 nights is too much for me for basically any destination. I can't get that much time off
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'd like to buy the 5-night package (if I can find a rep to do it) for 235k. Here's my problem:

Dad has 110k MR
I have 10k MR
I have 200k SPG

I have a 5-night stay reserved for July but haven't had the e-cert issued yet b/c have a few stays coming up and then was going to transfer over some SPG and then ultimately have dad transfer his points over for booking.

Is there anyway to do all this with a travel package?

More specifically:

How to combine my MR (and added SPG) w/ dad's to get to 235k for purposes of travel package? It would have to be me b/c no way will my dad handle the call, esp if involves HUCA.

And is it possible to apply the travel package to an existing rez?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'd like to buy the 5-night package (if I can find a rep to do it) for 235k. Here's my problem:

Dad has 110k MR
I have 10k MR
I have 200k SPG

I have a 5-night stay reserved for July but haven't had the e-cert issued yet b/c have a few stays coming up and then was going to transfer over some SPG and then ultimately have dad transfer his points over for booking.

Is there anyway to do all this with a travel package?

More specifically:

How to combine my MR (and added SPG) w/ dad's to get to 235k for purposes of travel package? It would have to be me b/c no way will my dad handle the call, esp if involves HUCA.

And is it possible to apply the travel package to an existing rez?
You need an additional 115,000 MR points to pull it off on top of what you and your dad have. I would first transfer 39,000 SPG points to your MR account. That will work out to 117,000 MR points. So 117,000+10,000+110,000=237,000 points total.

The problem you may have is getting the points from your dads account. They are going to want to talk to him, but you can do it all on a conference call, but he is going to have to be able to answer questions to his identity to authorize the transfer. You should be able to do the HUCA yourself and then when you get an agent to handle it, they will conference him in.

The main problem you will have is finding an agent to do the 5 night package when you are not a Marriott Vacation Club owner.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:28 pm

Anyone had any success in booking the 5 night package without the vacation club ownership yesterday/today? Tried 3 times without much success so far.

I heard you could call a Canadian call center but does anyone know a separate number for a Canadian office?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:20 pm

Can someone walk me through the process of upgrading a travel package?

If I buy a Cat 1-5 package, is the cost to upgrade it always just the difference between the next package up? For example, 270k for 120k Southwest points, then 90k to upgrade to Cat 8, 120 k to upgrade to Cat 9?

Is it hard to do this? Also, is there any way to leverage point saver rates with travel packages?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dblue

If I buy a Cat 1-5 package, is the cost to upgrade it always just the difference between the next package up? For example, 270k for 120k Southwest points, then 90k to upgrade to Cat 8, 120 k to upgrade to Cat 9?

Is it hard to do this? Also, is there any way to leverage point saver rates with travel packages?
I was wondering this, too. Could anyone confirm if it is simply the difference of category. So if I get Cat 5 and upgrade to Cat 8 on a 5-day package, the total upgrade amount is 60k? Or 15k per night for 4 nights?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by dblue

I was wondering this, too. Could anyone confirm if it is simply the difference of category. So if I get Cat 5 and upgrade to Cat 8 on a 5-day package, the total upgrade amount is 60k? Or 15k per night for 4 nights?
Yes, the cost to upgrade is simply the difference in the price of the two packages. The cost to downgrade would work the same. Yes, you can downgrade and get points back.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:08 pm

The cost to upgrade a 5-day package from cat 1-5 to cat 8 is 65k (not 60k).
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
What is the refund points value for a Cat1-5 7-night cert?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
What is the refund points value for a Cat1-5 7-night cert?
The certificate is treated as if it were for cat 1 and only for 6 nights (since one of the 7 nights is complimentary), so you should get back 6 x 7.5k or 45k total.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by tth6133
The cost to upgrade a 5-day package from cat 1-5 to cat 8 is 65k (not 60k).
I'm confused. If Cat 5 is 25k and Cat 8 is 40k, that's 15k per night x4 nights = 60k with 5th night free. Or do they upgrade the entire package with the package rate of 300k vs 235k?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:27 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I'm confused. If Cat 5 is 25k and Cat 8 is 40k, that's 15k per night x4 nights = 60k with 5th night free.
I'm not an MVCI owner nor have ever been and so I've never ordered a 5 night TP award. So I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the 5-night TP award does not come with the 5th night free. That would mean upgrading one from Cat. 5 to Cat. 8 would cost 75K (15K x 5 nights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.