Marriott Travel Packages

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 18, 1:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Slickw
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jan 1, 17, 11:12 am

Southwest companion pass rule change? Today: *Companion Pass Qualifying Points are earned from your revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, your points earned by making purchases with a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Card, and your base points earned from Rapid Rewards partners. Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass
Old Jan 1, 17, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by dogbuckeye View Post
Southwest companion pass rule change? Today: *Companion Pass Qualifying Points are earned from your revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, your points earned by making purchases with a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Card, and your base points earned from Rapid Rewards partners. Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass
Oh No!!! Glad I saw this now and will look into it. I was just about to submit for a travel package for this...bummer maybe. Thank you for the heads up.
Old Jan 1, 17, 1:54 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by nightowlrn View Post
Oh No!!! Glad I saw this now and will look into it. I was just about to submit for a travel package for this...bummer maybe. Thank you for the heads up.
Yeah I'm gonna call on this on Tuesday to see if this is correct.
Old Jan 1, 17, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Southwest has pulled the eligibility for the CP with a Travel Package. Points obtained from transferring hotel points do not count any more toward CP. They have updated language on their website in the T&Cs.

Hope nobody got burned too badly.
Old Jan 1, 17, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
eee! i've been trying to redeem online since last night (after midnight) but i keep getting an error.

i guess i shouldn't do this anymore if this isn't going to count towards a CP on southwest.

my existing CP just expired on 12/31 so i was hoping to renew again for 2 years but i guess no go?
Old Jan 1, 17, 3:54 pm

Stupid [profanity] bloggers continue to steal ideas from here and other online communities and exploit them to get more clicks on their sites and credit card referrals. After the spg merger and there was 1:3 to marriott every [profanity] blogger was touting 90k spg points for a free week and 120k sw points and CP to a vast majority of people who had never heard of Marriott travel packages. [Large deletion.]

Last edited by bdschobel; Jan 1, 17 at 11:44 pm Reason: Language
Old Jan 1, 17, 4:22 pm

Wow! So disappointed about the companion pass. Thanks so much for the heads up on the change!
Old Jan 1, 17, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notahappycamper View Post
Text removed
Well...I wouldn't have used that exact language. But if you're going to, save some of it for Southwest! Pretty low of them not to give a second's notice. I hope nobody gets stuck doing a transfer in the next few days that doesn't give them what they want.

Last edited by bdschobel; Jan 1, 17 at 11:44 pm Reason: Language in quote
Old Jan 1, 17, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by ehallison View Post
Well...I wouldn't have used that exact language. But if you're going to, save some of it for Southwest! Pretty low of them not to give a second's notice. I hope nobody gets stuck doing a transfer in the next few days that doesn't give them what they want.
i agree. Southwest knew this was going on. They had every opportunity to announce this change in advance. I am guessing that they were concerned that people would get the CP right away if they did, even if it was only good for 13 months instead of 24. So they went with the no notice change.
Old Jan 1, 17, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by zachary View Post
i agree. Southwest knew this was going on. They had every opportunity to announce this change in advance. I am guessing that they were concerned that people would get the CP right away if they did, even if it was only good for 13 months instead of 24. So they went with the no notice change.
They knew that most people were probably waiting till January to take advantage of it. So they opted to make sure they couldn't.
Old Jan 1, 17, 5:21 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
I was ready to jump on the package with Southwest points today with the objective of getting the Companion Pass. Disappointed that they did this and more disappointed that there wasn't advance notice that this was coming - I thought it was possible that there would be a change in policy for 2017, but waiting until the stroke of midnight leaves a bad taste...

I'm sure that Southwest had its reasons for not wanting to give away flights on a 2-for-1 basis to the travel hacking crowd any longer and reserve the passes for high-revenue business travelers who use the companion benefit less frequently. Disappointed nonetheless, but at least I'm not stuck with a boatload of points in Rapid Rewards and no CP.
Old Jan 1, 17, 6:00 pm

Text removed.
Always interesting that I rarely see where many of these bloggers give credit where credit is due. Do they really come up with all these hacks themselves? Not likely, though if they did give proper credit, they would quickly lose clicks to the places where many of these ideas are conceived.

Last edited by bdschobel; Jan 1, 17 at 11:45 pm Reason: Language in quote
Old Jan 1, 17, 6:34 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
Text removed.
This is so ridiculous. So you think it's bloggers and not sites like this that cause people to exploit what YOU know? You know it because it's out there, and that is how I know it too. Southwest just stopped it because they realized it was hurting their bottomline. I am disappointed because I have 270K points ready to go, but now I just have to figure out how to spend those Marriott points.

Last edited by bdschobel; Jan 1, 17 at 11:45 pm Reason: Language
Old Jan 1, 17, 6:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I called WN today to learn about CP. Asked some questions and confirmed that my MR points would work. The rep said they would and now this. Thank God MR was closed. I tried to do the TP. So glad I couldn't. Otherwise, I would be outta luck. I am so irritated right now.
Old Jan 1, 17, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
See SWA Forum

For those unhappy about the changes announced by SWA to the CP program there is an existing thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ualifying.html

Search this Thread