Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stargold
1. By all available evidence, you will simply not be able to get the 5-night package unless you're a Vacations owner. No reports of success in the last few months.

2. No further free night on top of the package free nights.
Right. Ever since the bloggers touted about it, Marriott has enforced the rule. Though that does not stop people from trying regardless nobody seems to succeed. May be someone would eventually find an agent who is not up-todate on this...

Originally Posted by dioxide45
If you do the math on the 7 night packages and count the miles at a 1:1 ratio with MR points, you will find that you are only paying for 6 nights when you get 7 on the certificate side. It is because the fifth night is free. Even with the travel package.

Here is an example of the Hotel + Air Package 1 category 8 where you get 120,000 miles.

Package Cost: 360,000 MR points
Subtract 120,000 Miles.
Cost of Hotel Portion: 240,000 points

Regular Category 8 Night Redemption per night: 40,000 points
Cost of 7 Nights: 280,000 minus 40,000=240,000 points

So you see, in the end, you are kind of getting the fifth night free. These same numbers work out across all packages with the exception of United. Though even with United, the numbers work out the same if you don't include the 10% bonus points.

This however doesn't apply to the Marriott Vacations Owner five night travel packages. Those packages are based on the pricing of the 7 night packages prior to Marriott devaluing the program in 2011. There is no free fifth night free in the five night package like you see in the seven night package. In face, in the case of the category 9 five night package, you are paying for all five nights and all the miles at a 1:1 ratio. Other tiers have a slight discount on the fifth night.
In other words, the 7 nights package essentially is only paying 1 extra night for the Cat 9 properties versus the 5 nights package, and 1 extra night + slightly more for the Categories below 9, versus the 5 nights package - so the saving is not as big as people think despite their obsession on the no longer feasible 5 nights cert for non vacation club owners.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
In other words, the 7 nights package essentially is only paying 1 extra night for the Cat 9 properties versus the 5 nights package, and 1 extra night + slightly more for the Categories below 9, versus the 5 nights package - so the saving is not as big as people think despite their obsession on the no longer feasible 5 nights cert for non vacation club owners.
And this is what I didn't realize myself. I had always assumed that the MVC Owners package was including a night free on a 5 night package, but that's not really the case. If you're getting a cat 1-5, and don't want the 7 nights, it is a bit of a difference, but not as good as most wouldn't probably expect.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:28 pm

I did an analysis over on TUG a couple years back of the premium paid on five night packages. You can find it here.

The Cat 9 seven night package only costs 45,000 more points than the five night package. So you get two more nights for the cost of one.

If you look at all the five night packages, there is a cost to that fifth night where it is free on the seven night packages.

Here is the breakdown of the cost of the fifth night from the thread linked above. The fifth night is discounted in all cases except the cat 9.

Category 5.......15,000
Category 6.......10,000
Category 7.......10,000
Category 8.......20,000
Category 9.......45,000
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Thank you all for the "fifth night free?".
I have a six night stay at a Cat 6, so as a time share owner I bought the 5 night for 20000 points less . Miles ( 132K UA) were the same so looks like I "overpaid" a little (10K).

For the sixth night will pay cash ($ 139). $ 4500 so paying cash is "cheaper".
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: Delta/Hyatt/Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
buy a cheap resale MVC week to become owner if one is obsessed w/ 5-night package.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:29 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by benitovacation
buy a cheap resale MVC week to become owner if one is obsessed w/ 5-night package.
There is no such things as a cheap MVC week.

Actually, on TUG's website, there is a Branson MVCI week someone is literally trying to give away right now: FREE - 2bd Marriott Willow Ridge - Branson. But as is usual with timeshares, the initial purchase price isn't the "only" cost. MVCI tend to have pretty high annual Maintenance Fees. So keep that in mind if anyone is tempted.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:44 am

Churning on reddit has a dp. Someone claims they were able to get the 5 night without being a timeshare owner. They also said they called ten times.

Not sure if i'm allowed to link?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 1:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hhoope01
There is no such things as a cheap MVC week.

Actually, on TUG's website, there is a Branson MVCI week someone is literally trying to give away right now: FREE - 2bd Marriott Willow Ridge - Branson. But as is usual with timeshares, the initial purchase price isn't the "only" cost. MVCI tend to have pretty high annual Maintenance Fees. So keep that in mind if anyone is tempted.
It's $551/yr, according to the poster. I assume that's if you stay in Branson, and it's higher if you try to trade it elsewhere?

I have to admit: I'm not a timeshare guy but am tempted. It's the fine-print on trading that always seems to be the hiccup. I don't even think I'd necessarily be trying to trade for max-peak weeks like winter/spring in Hawaii...just something in the "not Branson" category.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
It's $551/yr, according to the poster. I assume that's if you stay in Branson, and it's higher if you try to trade it elsewhere?

I have to admit: I'm not a timeshare guy but am tempted. It's the fine-print on trading that always seems to be the hiccup. I don't even think I'd necessarily be trying to trade for max-peak weeks like winter/spring in Hawaii...just something in the "not Branson" category.
Still $551 even if you exchange. The MF's are tied to your home resort no matter where you stay.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Happy
When the points transferred to UA, it is no difference from the straight point transfer. Though you DO need to register for the 20% bonus transfer. Problem I see is, the site does not produce a confirmation email after you registered. Also you could return to register again as if you have never done so before. In most programs when a promotion requires registration, one would get a confirmation email. Or at least one could not registered again once one has done so - the site would tell you "our records show you have already registered." Not so with the RewardPlus registration page. This is very troublesome to me. Though it is a moot point now because upon evaluating many factors including award charts and availability, our points will go to Alaska airlines instead - much cheaper chart than UA, so the additional of UA bonus does not offset the much higher costs UA charges for our travel needs.

Read upthread, there are DPs on previous similar promotion. The ordinary 10% posted right away while the additional 20% posted 6 to 8 weeks later - just like this current one, the additional will be posted before Jan 31st.
Can't see how this time would be any different.
The 25% bonus from UA for people who transferred Marriott points have begun posting. I did a Travel Package, and no bonus points have posted yet. Anyone else have any luck?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
The 25% bonus from UA for people who transferred Marriott points have begun posting. I did a Travel Package, and no bonus points have posted yet. Anyone else have any luck?
Bought mine 10/14. Checked yesterday and no bonus.

Read your post and just checked again and lo and behold 20,000 miles were added!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:35 am
kkl

just checked this thread and my account. 20k posted!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:02 am
alc

Also did my on Oct 14, but no bonus posted yet
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by alc
Also did my on Oct 14, but no bonus posted yet
Me too. Glad I'm not the only one. If I recall, UA didn't send a confirmation email on this one after registration. Should have taken a screen shot!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 5:14 am
alc

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Me too. Glad I'm not the only one. If I recall, UA didn't send a confirmation email on this one after registration. Should have taken a screen shot!
let just hope they are just delay for members located outside of US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.