Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select Packages - Deals from the Topic drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Old Nov 19, 2016, 8:48 am

Does anyone know how the 5 night travel package works with being a timeshare owner in the proper way? My sister is looking at purchasing in, and the family is probably going in as a share. Is the actual purchaser on the document the only one who can use the benefit, or is there a way of adding additional people? Does the 5 night also work when purchased from a third party?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:05 am
alc

RE: 7 nights cert

I know this was discussed recently, but I just want to fully understand what can vs. what can't do.

A few of my friends/co-worker who were mainly SPG in the past had caught on to Marriott Travel Package with the SPG-Marriott 1 to 3 transfer. So, a lot of them have lots of these 7 nights cert (1-5 for now) in their account after all the recent transfer promo (UA 20K max / AA 20% / AP 30%).

Here is a couple yes/no questions:

1) Can the member book hotel reservation and add "someone else" name to the reservation for that "someone else" to check-in and stay at the hotel without the member even show-up?

2) Can the member "transfer" that 7-nights cert to someone else Marriott account for that "someone else" to book a reservation from this "someone else" account on their own?

If 2) is yes, here are a few more questions:

a) Does this "someone else" get the 7 night stay credits toward his/her elite qualification or does that stay with the original member.

b) As mentioned that the cert is only CAT 1-5 now, can this "someone else" use his/her own points from his/her account to upgrade to CAT 6 or higher cert? or this upgrading the cert need to be done from the original member first before transfer over.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Was looking to book 5 nights on reward points, but the check in dates for the property available for what I need.

7 nights Plus Miles might be a better option. (p.s. only Gold Elite)

Just wondering if the call in agents have more availability showing than I would online ?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by joeags
Does anyone know how the 5 night travel package works with being a timeshare owner in the proper way? My sister is looking at purchasing in, and the family is probably going in as a share. Is the actual purchaser on the document the only one who can use the benefit, or is there a way of adding additional people? Does the 5 night also work when purchased from a third party?
I would ask this over at www.tugbbs.com/forums They are the FT of Timeshare Info. No fee.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by coleworld
Was looking to book 5 nights on reward points, but the check in dates for the property available for what I need.

7 nights Plus Miles might be a better option. (p.s. only Gold Elite)

Just wondering if the call in agents have more availability showing than I would online ?
BUMP,

Or do these 7 night packages have NO blackout dates?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:23 pm

It's the same availability as normal base category award room availability. No separate blackout on TPs. If award room is available for 7 consecutive nights, you can book the TP.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Delta3MM
I have extended many times. Works exactly as advertised. Call Marriott rewards as close to the one year anniversary without going over a year. Ask for it to be extended. They extend it for one year from the day you call in.

Just that easy. Then I book and use the extended certificate within the year. I have never tried to extend it twice and would expect to hear a no if I asked.

Billy
I extended one of my certificates 3 times since I bought 3 packages before the 2009 devaluation and only used two of them in 2009. I ended up having to upgrade the certificate when I finally used it, and I had to pay for the category increase and the increase in cost after that devaluation.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
It's the same availability as normal base category award room availability. No separate blackout on TPs. If award room is available for 7 consecutive nights, you can book the TP.
Thanks. Cant find 7 or 5 nights via Rewards points that work with my dates...

I was hoping the certificate would work based on base rate availability NOT rewards room availability
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
If you are staying at a property for more than 7 nights and have paid and award nights together, you can use the 7 day certificate even if the award nights are not consecutive. You have to book the reservation with an agent for it to work, but they can make it count as one continuous stay for award purposes. This also works for the 5 day award certificates.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS miles

Redeemed Nov 14 Monday afternoon.

Miles in account when checked at 12:05AM EST Nov 23. Miles not in account when checked in the morning of Nov 22.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:07 am

Is it still possible for anyone to get the 5 night package?
I want the 5 night and not the 7 night one.

I'm torn on whether to take Alaska miles or United as well..120k vs 152k.
I have 400k UR, 175k Amex, 235k Marriott, 140k AA, any suggestions?

I only redeem for J/F from USA to mostly Asia, and sometimes Europe.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Originally Posted by crazytravelguy

I think the 5 day is only for those that own vacation club- or it used to be that way, may have changed.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by s0479
I think the 5 day is only for those that own vacation club- or it used to be that way, may have changed.
Yes I understand that this is the official rule. Some others spoke about an exception earlier in the thread though, thats why i'm asking.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy

I'm not sure but I think that 20% bonus with UA is over. AA 25% bonus is good through end of month.

I would try and ask for a supervisor for the 5 day TP. Worst is they say no, best they say they will make an exception for you. You never know. Good luck.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I'm not sure but I think that 20% bonus with UA is over. AA 25% bonus is good through end of month.

I would try and ask for a supervisor for the 5 day TP. Worst is they say no, best they say they will make an exception for you. You never know. Good luck.

AA is over, UA is good til end of month.
Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.