Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
​​​​​​​This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the San Diego area

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by damon88

I think you made a good choice.

Del Mar is close to several of your attractions (Legoland, La Jolla) and an easy freeway drive to the others. (Just be aware that traffic is always congested right around Villa de la Valle and the Racetrack)

Since you are so close you may want to consider taking a family hike at the gorgeous Torrey Pines State Park (there are several easy hikes- a short scenic loop (Guy Fleming) or the Beach Trail down to the Ocean.

You are also very near to the Torrey Pines GliderPort- kids love coming here to watch the colorful gliders sail over the sea. The views are spectacular, it’s totally free, and a relaxing way to enjoy the gorgeous scenery.

And when you are in La Jolla you should check out the Sea Caves at La Jolla Cove.
We stayed over July 4 and loved the location. Other than obligatory excursions to Legoland, the Zoo and Coronado, we stayed close by and spent half-days in La Jolla, Torrey Pines, and the Botanical Gardens in Encinitas. It was great to come back to Solana Beach in the afternoons and be able to put the kids down for a nap, wake up and walk 3 minutes to the beach with my cooler bag and enjoy the sunset and some drinks while the kids played. We were able to avoid the SD Fair traffic for the most part and walked down the hill on July 4 to get a good view of the impressive fireworks show.

The hotel itself was decent if you kept your expectations in line: it's a dated 3 star accommodation that has endured years of beach-goer abuse. A somewhat recent refresh kept the rooms feeling superficially new and the bar/bistro was surprisingly good quality and priced right. There's also an excellent Thai restaurant in the strip center next door and probably 15 other restaurants within a 15 minute walk. If you stay and don't want to pay for the unnecessary overpriced underground parking, ask for a room on the west side of the hotel and park on the street where parking is plentiful. All of our minimal service requests were met with a smile. I was offered an upgrade as a gold, but the only upgraded room category is an executive king and we needed two queens, so I declined.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
MOXY Gaslamp Quarter opening Dec '18.
The outside looks almost done at least (taken earlier today):

Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Might go in a day early on a business trip and looking for a property that is in a walkable location. Normally, my preferred property is the Marquis as it is on the water and they generally upgrade me to a suite. But .... they have added the dreaded destination fee and received an exception to the weekend breakfast requirement so I'd prefer not to patronize them. I'm checking out the Grant on the work trip so I suppose I could go there early. The Pier South always seems interesting but not sure how isolated it is from restaurants/bars etc. within walking distance.

Any other suggestions? Maybe one of the Gaslamp properties (but no water view).

Thinking of cheating and checking out the Andaz.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Do it. And report back.

David
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Might go in a day early on a business trip and looking for a property that is in a walkable location. Normally, my preferred property is the Marquis as it is on the water and they generally upgrade me to a suite. But .... they have added the dreaded destination fee and received an exception to the weekend breakfast requirement so I'd prefer not to patronize them. I'm checking out the Grant on the work trip so I suppose I could go there early. The Pier South always seems interesting but not sure how isolated it is from restaurants/bars etc. within walking distance.

Any other suggestions? Maybe one of the Gaslamp properties (but no water view).

I've stayed at the Grant a couple of times as a PLT and have always been upgraded to a larger room (never a suite) it's an older hotel if that makes a difference. The Four Points downtown has always treated me well. In a week, I'll be at the new IC San Diego, very much looking forward to this stay.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
When I stay at the Courtyard on Broadway I walk up to the Andaz' rooftop bar and have breakfast (and/or hang out poolside). I am curious to what the rooms are like if you do end up staying, though (I get a "W-ish" vibe.)
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
The Four Points downtown has always treated me well.
The "round" one? At least there you don't have to worry about upgrades, all the rooms are all apparently pie-shaped and the same size
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
The "round" one? At least there you don't have to worry about upgrades, all the rooms are all apparently pie-shaped and the same size
Maybe the day to stay there is on March 14th.

David
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
DELee, I see what you did there. Very clever!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Looks like the Marriott Gaslamp has a rooftop bar....need a place to work with a view

But if I go to the grant, I'll have a two day stay ... decisions decisions ... doesnt sound like there is a view from anything at the grant though.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:03 pm

Looks like the Marriott Gaslamp has a rooftop bar....need a place to work with a view
Heh ... just to be warned, no matter when I'm up there, it's kinda "partyish" (music, activity) so I wouldn't expect to get a lot done (and definitely not after sundown).
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:12 pm

Heh ... just to be warned, no matter when I'm up there, it's kinda "partyish" (music, activity) so I wouldn't expect to get a lot done (and definitely not after sundown).
ahhh ... the elusive search for rooftop bars that are classy and cool but not clubby
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:13 pm

ahhh ... the elusive search for rooftop bars that are classy and cool but not clubby
Try the Andaz then ... plus there's more places to work on their rooftop.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Yes, it was a Hoilday Inn for MANY years, Whether it was the HI or 4 Points I always get a room facing the ocean.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Looking for thoughts for a long weekend with primary interest being bay/marina views, pool, and perhaps an excursion to Balboa Park.

Coices are:

Sheraton Marina -35,000 pts per/night, Reviews are mixed and resort fee plus fees and taxes = $40 / night

Marriott Coronodo- 50,000 pts per/night but no resort fee. Downside is ongoing renovation Main pool, pool bar and restaurant patio closed.

Marriott Marquis- 50,000 pts per/ night with resort fees/taxes = $30 / night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.