Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa (Mexico) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
$30 resort fee. Only bennie is free internet due to resort status.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa (Mexico) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:35 pm

Hoping to see a review soon.... eyeing this property for May 2016 visit

Wife and I honeymooned in Cabo nine years ago. We are hoping to go back for our ten year reunion next May and it would be great to stay at the JW if it is indeed as nice as the PR sounds. Hoping to see some reviews soon.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 5:35 pm

DH and I will be going in the beginning of December. I will post a little something if no one else has by that point.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by HappyCheesehead
DH and I will be going in the beginning of December. I will post a little something if no one else has by that point.
If you will post something when you return from your trip that would be much appreciated. Not sure if you are interested in the Griffin Club but if by chance you can check that out that would be awesome. We are planning to book a Griffin Club room and try out the 'hotel in a hotel' concept offered by JW. Also wonder how nice the spa will be and what facilities will be available.

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:48 pm

We are staying on points (got point savers rate for an ocean front room when resize availability first came out) but may ask if I can see the Griffin Club for "research" I will also see if I can pop into the spa.

I was surprised that the Griffin Club did not offer any wine, beer or other alcoholic drinks in the offerings. I might not be remembering correctly but I thought those upper echelon clubs usually did.

I hope the stay will be ok. We stayed at the Ritz in Aruba (last year?) shortly after it opened and really did not get the full Ritz experience in those early days. In any case we are lucky to be going for "free" so no complaining from me! I cannot even believe how much of the world we have seen from free Marriott Hotel Family rooms. What a great program.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
http://www.jwmarriottloscabos.com/griffin-club-en
http://www.griffinclubloscabos.com/griffin-club-en

"It combines private facilities for its members - like the luxurious lounge bar with fireplace - superior deluxe rooms, exclusive infinity pool with private day cabanas and other unique amenities. Enjoy the most select of our cuisine at any time, from breakfast prepared by private chefs to suit your personal tastes, to dinner with hors d’oeuvres and fine wines. Your daily guest fee per night membership includes daily access to our Jasha Spa, wireless Internet with AirPrint capabilities, iPads, games, magazines and newspapers. The JW Griffin Club experience is limited to guest 21 years of age and older. Please be advised that there is a business/smart casual dress code in the lounge."

Cheers.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
http://news.marriott.com/2015/11/jw-...to-guests.html
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:21 pm

The Griffin Club looks pretty fancy - I don't think they are going to let a couple of points users in

It is interesting that the Marriott site Griffin club rooms specifies cocktails for a fee and soft drinks included, but the links above make it seem like more might be on offer. SkiAdcock's links say over 21 only, but the rate details on the site charge addl $85 per night for kids 6-12, $170 for 12-18 and under 5 free.

I would imagine it would be VERY enjoyable US1@ORF and you will have a terrific anniversary stay in any case.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:45 am

JW Resort officially open. Press release on Marriott website today.

Cheers.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
JW Resort officially open. Press release on Marriott website today.

Cheers.
I had posted this two posts above!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by lucycan
I had posted this two posts above!
Sorry; missed it when I posted. Also it was a link w/ no description.

Looking forward to the first trip reports, whether they include Griffin Club or not. Hopefully we'll get both.

Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold

View of the hotel from the Adult Pool. The "A" building is at the far left with what we were told were the best Oceanfront rooms.

View from the Adult Pool

Stopped by to see this property while we were in San Jose del Cabo for Thanksgiving weekend. We come to San Jose del Cabo every year and usually stay at the Hilton and were considering staying here next time. All of the buildings are not open and the Griffin Club has not been completed. The property opened at the beginning of the month.

The hotel is a work of art - very zen like with beautiful grounds and a multitude of pools (including an "adults only" pool ) The property is very large and they have a golf cart that will take you from the "outer fringes" (A building and the Griffin Club) which would be much needed by those with ambulatory issues. The "lobby" is very unusual and we thought at first we were looking at an office because the reception is basically three or four desks with laptops in a very dark room. The landscaping will be fantastic when it has an opportunity to fully grow in.

Platinum status does not get you much . The only tangible benefit we could find was complimentary internet. We were told that there is a "welcome amenity" but the Platinum level guests we spoke with did not remember receiving one. We were also told that "they would do their best effort" to upgrade Platinums to a better view room - but that did NOT include suites nor the Griffin Club.

The person we spoke with from the hotel did mention that there were many Platinum guests staying there and they have received complaints that there is no lounge and few Platinum benefits. The Griffin Club requires a special booking. There was an "in room coffee maker use charge" but after complaints, that charge has been discontinued and there are Nespresso machines in every room with complimentary pods.

We were told that Ocean front rooms are not available to book with points. There is a $30 per day resort fee for all rooms booked with points.

We're Platinum with Marriott but because it is a resort, most benefits are not applicable - including no complementary breakfast. Since the property is quite a drive to town, that means an added $60 per day per couple, more with kids. That could be a deal breaker. While Valet parking is complimentary, it took quite a while for us to get our car (despite the hotel being almost empty). We really like the ability to self park at the Hilton.

As a Diamond, the benefits are significantly better at the Hilton with the free breakfasts and internet - as well as self parking. We also get the ability book oceanfront rooms on points. We're currently in an oceanfront room on the 4th floor at the Hilton and significantly closer to the water than the closest room at the Marriott, which is set back much further from the water. We can see the waves breaking from our balcony but do not think it is possible at the Marriott. While we have received a upgrade to a suite on a prior stay, we actually prefer the oceanfront room due to the views and proximity to the water and would decline if offered an upgrade again.

We spoke with several of the guests who were also Platinum and they received no upgrades (admittedly most of the hotel is not open so there were limited rooms to "upgrade" to).

We asked to see a room and were shown a "deluxe ocean view room" (B- building on the 4th floor). While nicely appointed, it was surprisingly small, especially the bathroom. Even the "ocean front" rooms are set back quite a distance from the water - though the views are spectacular. This is one of the most architecturally interesting properties we've seen. It could be anywhere in the world - and is very elegant however, it does not have that "you're in a Mexican resort" vibe.

Last edited by FrAAmer; Nov 28, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:24 am

Thanks for the detailed trip report & pics. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:37 am

We are here now and plan on checking out the Griffin Club and the Jasha Spa in the next day or two.

If anyone has any specific questions, I will try to answer, or get the answer.

The place is definitely high end and beautiful. Only 15% occupancy when we checked in. I almost feel conspicuous walking the grounds. Wonderful bed, shower, and outdoor furnishings. Coffee is limited to 2 Nespresso pods per room per day, about 4 ounces of coffee per person, any additional pods are $2. The coffee at the deli is 5 ish dollars for a large cup. For 20 dollars I purchased a 12 cup coffee maker and ground coffee at Walmart so I have coffee all week for what DH and I would have had to pay for one day.

We asked 2 staff members about drinking the water here and both suggested we don't. When we turned the faucet on in one of the bathroom sinks the water came out like tea the first time so I believe them. We have let the water run in both sinks for a few minutes to try to get it clear, but no matter how long it goes it still has a faint brownish tint. While the website states bottled water is complimentary, they do not mean you can have extra without paying for it. We are provided 2 600 ml bottles at service time, along with 2 330's near the Nespresso machine. At turndown, which we have received 2 out of 3 nights, they have provided 2 more 600's. On the first day, when I asked for a couple more bottles they charged 4 dollars US each. We have since gone out and bought our own.

We are here on points the first 5 nights, then paying for the last 2. Since I reserved right away when rooms became avail I got 5 nights ocean front for point savers, 140,000 points. You cannot reserve ocean front on points any longer. I dropped the points usage for the last 2 nights as the hotel went on sale at Thanksgiving. 2 nights of the lowest cat room was $560 so I did not feel that was worth 70k points. The front desk very kindly is allowing us to stay in the ocean front room the last 2 days as well.

0cean front rooms are not really what one would expect, we were first given the 4th floor "B" building room described above (it sounds like the same one anyway) but it was one building back from the other ocean front rooms. It was the top floor but part of the L shaped balcony looked over the roof of the "A" building and the room faced the other wing of the hotel, not towards the ocean. We then asked to be put in the ocean front building and are on the 2nd floor with a partial ocean view and a big sand dune in front of us. The first floor rooms would have very little water view, if any.

I don't mean to sound negative because this joint is beautiful and we are really enjoying ourselves. I am commenting on the above because these are the things that I found somewhat different from past hotel experiences or different from my expectations. DH is plat for life and we have used more than 3 million points for free Marriott rooms all over the world. I love Marriott and the rewards program for the opportunities we have had to see the world on their dime.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:24 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:38 pm

Occupancy is down to 10% now, 30 rooms out of 300. Well over half of the folks that I have spoken to are here on points. We were the only ones at the adult pool for a good part of the morning and everyone here appears to be an adult, or very close to it. They expect over 100 check ins on Sunday and will be at 100% occupancy for some of the days over the holiday. I hope the staff is enjoying the quiet now. Every single staff person I have spoken to has been a delight.

Workers are all over the place doing last minute touches, working on rooms, the kids club, etc. They are still building the staircase down to the beach. BTW, no swimming at the beach now, black flag up every day. They don't even have chairs down there although it appears there will be a bar and they are setting up cabana type platforms.

Spa attendants have come around each day giving complimentary foot or shoulder massages. What a treat. Lobster tacos and bacon wrapped shrimp tacos at the adult pool today were delish. The pools I have been in are wonderful and warm, but the salt water pool was colder for those looking for a more refreshing dip. There are a couple of huge hot tubs, one a moderate temp and one nice and warm.

The spa is beautiful and completely open, but they are still working on some of the stuff around it like the boutique. I have the offerings and the price list if anyone is interested.

I would strongly recommend this place for anyone looking to visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.