Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why Are Platinums Treated So Poorly At Marriott?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Are Platinums Treated So Poorly At Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by blzfan
I just wish there was a better way to use points on rooms. For example, AA created the anytime seats that are double the miles but you can use your miles any time. I hate that when I go and look to use my points I never can, unless I have planned something well in advance.
MR used to do that. You could override the restrictions by using double points (it was called "AnyTime Rewards", if I remember correctly). You even got a certificate for a full breakfast (even on weekends! ) for your AnyTime award stays. You couldn't override a sold out hotel, however.

Of course, the true FlyerTalkers here would rather have their genitalia severed than cough up more points for an award room. MR changed the policy a few years ago so that "if there is a standard room available, it's yours!" (Edit: the previous is incorrect, the policy was changed to say "no blackout dates",) and got rid of the AnyTime awards. We quickly found out was a bunch of hooey. Either properties sill had award limits and/or the definition of a "standard" room became really nebulous.

Last edited by keeton; Oct 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm Reason: Misstatement of policy
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by keeton
MR changed the policy a few years ago so that "if there is a standard room available, it's yours!"
Hmmn. Is that right? I don't remember MR stating that if any standard room is available you can use points. In my experience I've never felt that when looking for availability... ie. I thought I've seen STD rooms available but AWARD space sold out. Is that the MR stated policy? I know that's the way it works at Starwood (SPG) and they seem to follow through on that policy. Please enlighten me.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Travel Pro
Hmmn. Is that right?
Yes, that's right.

In my experience I've never felt that when looking for availability... ie. I thought I've seen STD rooms available but AWARD space sold out.
If you are Plat you will see standard rooms available for a paid stay as long as you are at least 48 hours out. They will show up due to your Platinum override. You need to sign out and remove your Plat number from the Marriott Rewards number box on the reservation search screen in order to check on non-Plat override paid availability of standard rooms.

Is that the MR stated policy?
Yes, that is stated policy.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Oct 3, 2012 at 3:52 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:44 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I thought I've seen STD rooms available but AWARD space sold out. Is that the MR stated policy? I know that's the way it works at Starwood (SPG) and they seem to follow through on that policy. Please enlighten me.
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
If you are Plat you will see standard rooms available as long as you are at least 48 hours out. They will show up due to your Platinum override.
I think each of you are talking about different things.

First, for Award room availability, Marriott now has the "No Blackout dates" approach, which is different than the SPG "if there's a standard room available, its yours". Marriott still allows capacity controls on award rooms. Though to be fair, in their change from a couple of years ago to this program, they did increase the normal number of rooms available for awards. But it still isn't ALL of them.

Second, aaupgrade is mentioning the Plat 48 hour room guarantee. That is ONLY for paid reservations (i.e. not award rooms.) Marriott guarantees that under most situations (they do have some exclusions), if a Plat tries to make a paid or cash reservation, they will get a room even if the hotel is sold out.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Second, aaupgrade is mentioning the Plat 48 hour room guarantee. That is ONLY for paid reservations (i.e. not award rooms.)
Which I though was clear since my response was to Travel Pros' comment below:
I thought I've seen STD rooms available but AWARD space sold out.
I have updated my previous post to add redundancy for clarity to those who don't see my post in proper context.

On a separate note, when the new "No Blackout Dates" was first introduced, many complained just as Travel Pro did that "I can see standard rooms available for cash, but no award rooms are available". In the vast majority of these cases, this was a result of Plat elite seeing standard rooms available for paid stays due to their Platinum override. If anyone wish to see the details of these instances they are free to take the time and search for the previous thread which should be quite easy to find.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Oct 3, 2012 at 3:59 pm
Old Oct 4, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
First, for Award room availability, Marriott now has the "No Blackout dates" approach, which is different than the SPG "if there's a standard room available, its yours".
That's what I get when I try to go by memory. You are correct. Below is a link to the thread here in FT when the new policy was announced in 2009:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-bad-ugly.html
Old Oct 4, 2012, 3:36 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by keeton
That's what I get when I try to go by memory.
Marriott has a tendency to make its program "look" like their competitors, but without always providing the same benefits (go read the Cash + Points thread). I suspect they are hoping people will tend to make the same mistake you did and "think" their program has the same benefits as the other ones (i.e. all standard rooms available for awards or a true cash+points night rates.)

Now don't get me wrong, I also think Marriott's program has some very good areas (i.e. elite guarantees, elite beneifts on virtually any stay, travel package awards, life time elite status, etc.) But they also seem to want to "mask" some of their deficiencies by making them look similar to what their competitors offer (but Marriott doesn't).
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:08 pm

Interesting discussion.

My upgrade "luck" varies. As of late, it hasn't been too good, but I've gotten free breakfast at a few of the resorts as well as free valet parking. That's a pretty nice benefit, considering what they charge in their restaurants for the breakfast buffet at some of the resort properties. What it boils down to for me is the front desk staff. Some are really quite customer-centric and are genuinely interested in helping. If they can't upgrade, they generally try to make it up somehow. Others, quite honestly, couldn't give a damn. I'm not much of a complainer unless the issue is dire. I just stop staying at that particular property. There's no illusion on my part that they will in any way miss me, but I'd rather spend my money at a place that treats me kindly than not.

The one thing that I don't care for, and it's entirely possible that it's been fixed, is the paid upgrade process. I've tried on a few occasions to upgrade a paid room with either points or cash. The response to me is that only a room paid for with points is eligble for upgrade. This to me is ian diotic policy. The person giving you cash with the intent of giving you either more cash or some points seems to be a more attractive upgrade candidate than the person using only points for a room.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:54 pm

Platinum gradually went downhill from there...
I would call it the side-effects of product dilution.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I Marriott guarantees that under most situations (they do have some exclusions), if a Plat tries to make a paid or cash reservation, they will get a room even if the hotel is sold out.
The "most" instead of "all" makes this somewhat of a non-benefit. I find many exclusions for 48 hour room guarantee.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:30 pm

I like Marriott for their flexibility in using points. I usually want to use the minimum points for a free stay and can usually find something decent in the 10,000 to 15,000 range.

Upgrades are nice, but not relevant if I am going to be in the same property for a stretch. The larger area just makes it easier to leave something behind.

The 75 nights is not really an issue. The Visa card reduces the requirement and rollover nights pretty much cover the rest.

Not sure of other programs, but Marriott is certainly better than Hilton in points redemption. I was Hilton Diamond and find I did not get upgrades there either.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:07 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
I would call it the side-effects of product dilution.
Agreed. Sad.

In the old days I used to wonder what great new thing they would come up with next... now, I wonder what's the next thing they are going to take away from us next.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:13 am

Agreed. Sad.
Airlines and hotels are all diluting their top elite programs by selling themselves out to credit card companies. There has to be a hotel or airline who values their top elite programs so much that they would not even thing about making such short-sighted, earnings-driven decisions.

There needs to be a level of elite status that is gained solely by paid hotel stays. That is Butt in Bed (BIB) stays, combined with amount spent. Period.

These top elite programs are about building long-term brand loyalty, which turns into profits. Unfortunately, most executives are only concerned with quarterly, short-term gains. Dumb.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Airlines and hotels are all diluting their top elite programs by selling themselves out to credit card companies. There has to be a hotel or airline who values their top elite programs so much that they would not even thing about making such short-sighted, earnings-driven decisions.

There needs to be a level of elite status that is gained solely by paid hotel stays. That is Butt in Bed (BIB) stays, combined with amount spent. Period.

These top elite programs are about building long-term brand loyalty, which turns into profits. Unfortunately, most executives are only concerned with quarterly, short-term gains. Dumb.
Isn't that what Platinum Premier should be? Instead, you get a black membership card with (almost) no (additional) benefits beyond Platinum. Usually, the only time I get treated as a special guest as a Plat Premier is if I am bringing lots of business to a hotel or when I call ahead of my stay/tip/raise a stink. You shouldn't have to game the system to be treated above average when you get to the highest tier via Butt In Bed.

It's no different with airlines. If you are a big credit card spender with personal and business cards, and happen to fly internationally every once in a while, you can gain top-tier status without flying much and gift your signifcant other/dog/cat/etc. status. And the person that travels domestically every week without transcons has to scrape by on segments even if they buy $1000 tickets every week.

JMHO
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Checked in to the Renaissance Seattle today for 2 nights and once again received an upgrade to an Executive corner room suite.

Friendly valet and front desk personnel as always.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.