Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, HI [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club, HI [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jerseygirl

is this price for one or 2 bedrooms?
two bedrooms ocean view. No resort fee or parking fees. I received a platinum 500 point welcome and 7 nights credit
Old Feb 18, 2018, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by rstidolph

two bedrooms ocean view. No resort fee or parking fees. I received a platinum 500 point welcome and 7 nights credit
a bargain!!! Love this resort
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Gold Marriott
Tips for Hawaii Marriott

Hey all, I need some help/tips with an upcoming trip. My wife and I are expecting our first kid later this year and wanted to use some of our points to have a nice vacation before baby comes. We're booked at the Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club. Wondering if anyone has stayed there before and had any suggestions for fun activities, do/don't at the property and any ways to stretch my gold status to get the most out of the trip. Appreciate any tips!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by scottas
Hey all, I need some help/tips with an upcoming trip. My wife and I are expecting our first kid later this year and wanted to use some of our points to have a nice vacation before baby comes. We're booked at the Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club. Wondering if anyone has stayed there before and had any suggestions for fun activities, do/don't at the property and any ways to stretch my gold status to get the most out of the trip. Appreciate any tips!
First, congratulations on the upcoming child!
KOBC (and I am an owner at KOBC) doesn't quite strike me as the place for a last (or one of few last) trips before having kids - it is great for kids though. The resort is very child friendly which means lots of kids. Even the adults-only area isn't super quiet. Plus there is Disney's Aulani one lagoon over. Ko Olina the resort has gotten a lot more crowded in the past 15 years (when we bought, there were no Beach Towers next door, and no Aulani). Also, I don't think MVCI properties will offer anything too valuable for a gold elite aside from points and stay credit. There is no lounge, and I don't think there is late checkout. I don't have much experience with staying in hotels in Hawaii (since we go to KOBC), but I am not sure how useful gold status will be in general. Looks like the properties are all MVCI, resorts, or non-full service brands. I am also a Marriott gold elite, and needed to add a day to our KOBC trip this year. After looking at all the options, I decided to use 45k points for a one bedroom at KOBC as opposed to 40k points or roughly $250 a night (including parking which costs 30-40 dollars a night) for the Marriott or Laylow in Waikiki.

Kauai is much quieter, as is the Big Island. Both also offer coffee fans something interesting (Kauai Coffee Company and Kona coffee plantations) in addition to the usual beaches and water falls. Maui seems to be more expensive than the other islands based on my one trip there.

As far as what to do at KOBC - the lagoons are good for snorkeling. There have even been sea turtle sightings in the lagoons in previous trips. I think Aulani may have some water play equipment available for rent. The marina has some boats that take people out to the ocean, or to go snorkeling. KOBC itself has some daily activities (even had a version of build-a-bear on-site one of the days we were there). Kapolei, the nearest town, is a great option for shopping and restaurants (a lot less expensive than eating on-site). There is also a Costco with gas station in Kapolei (Costco doesn't raise prices just because you are in Hawaii, which is very nice). If you get a one-bedroom unit (~900 sqft in the description), it comes with a full kitchen so you will have ability to cook. Even in a guest room (I think ~300 sqft in the description), you will have access to grills onsite (I think you get grill tools from the towel huts).

There is quite a lot to do Oahu - it is our favorite Hawaiian island (out of Oahu, Big Island, Maui, and Kauai) and we have been there many times (other three islands one time each). Waikiki is good for sightseeing and people watching, I don't really play in the water there Driving around the island looking for food trucks is fun and tasty. Ala Moana shopping center is really good for shopping and the food options are pretty good. The beaches on the eastern part of the island (Kailua Beach Park) are really nice. The sand is much finer than Ko Olina's man made lagoon beaches (sand is from Australia I believe). Hanauma Bay is renowned for snorkeling - closed on Tuesday I think, and wear some good rash guards, the coral can be quite sharp. The museums on the island are really neat too. Our kids enjoyed seeing some Hawaiian artifacts after watching Moana.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:30 am

Am hoping someone can help with this question. I helped my parents book a 2 room ocean view vIlla using points for this property for December. My mom struggles getting in and out of traditional tub and shower combo due to mobility. She does fine with a walk-in shower. The room description for their room states that the rooms has separate showers and tub. The picture with the room layout also confirms that one bathroom in the 2 bedroom suites have separate showers (although the picture does say that room configurations vary). My father was still concerned so we called to request a room with a walk-in shower, but was told that the room type he booked did not have a walk-in shower and all rooms with that feature were booked.

My first thought is that the representative was uninformed and thought we were requesting a roll in, wheelchair accessible showers. Was curious if anyone familiar with this property knows if they indeed do have villas without a walk-in shower?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by reslfakb
Was curious if anyone familiar with this property knows if they indeed do have villas without a walk-in shower?
We've stayed at Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club several times, with our stays spread across the three buildings and across various room configurations.

— A "deluxe guest room" (essentially a hotel room with a small kitchenette) has bathroom with a combo tub-shower.

— A 1-bedroom villa (essentially a 1-bedroom apartment with a living room, bedroom, and full kitchen) has a split bathroom with a soaking tub and a private bathroom with a spacious shower with a tall glass door (not a combo tub-shower).

— A 2-bedroom villa is a combination of the two room types above with a connecting door between.

There are variations across the buildings. For example, sometimes the master bedroom of the 1-bedroom or 2-bedroom villa has a separate seating area by the window with sliding shutter doors. Sometimes, its just a larger bedroom without the separate little room. A dedicated 2-bedroom has just one entry door and no little kitchenette in the guest room.

But every 1-bedroom or 2-bedroom villa will have a dedicated shower, which is what you're looking for.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:57 am

Thank you Horace. That’s exactly what I needed to know.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:17 am

Confirming what Horace posted. The 2-bedroom units are all fundamentally the same, with slight variations. The walk in shower is part of the 1-bedroom (master bedroom) suite. All units have a door between the 1-bedroom suite and the 'hotel room' part of the unit. Some come with doors to the hallway for both halves (this is a lock-off unit), and some have only 1 door into the hall-way (a true two-bedroom). I think they omitted the sitting area off master bedroom in the newer towers. For this and location reasons, I prefer Kona tower, the first one built.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:05 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I did a brief, one-night stay at Ko Olina in the middle of a trip home to visit and stay with family. I stumbled upon a reasonably cheap rate and decided to have dinner out in West Oahu (Monkeypod Grill) and spend the night nearby without having to deal with traffic. Given the late check-in and early check-out, a one-night stay doesn't really make a lot of sense, but we were able to have a very pleasant stay.

We showed up around 2 pm, intending to just hang out at the pool or beach in case our room wasn't ready; luckily, it was. I booked a Deluxe Guest Room (Mountain View) and was pleasantly surprised to have been upgraded to a pool view room on the 4th floor of the Moana Tower. Here's the view from our room:

Of the three, the Moana is farthest from the beach and closest to the road, but it was fine for a short stay. Overall, I found the room to be comfortable and well-furnished. The soundproofing is very good so noise from the pool and morning activities aren't heard at all. Having a small kitchenette was very convenient for keeping drinks and fruit cold; we brought some groceries with us to have a nice morning breakfast. I was impressed that the bath amenities are from local vendor Malie Organics; their products aren't cheap and of pretty high quality (I estimate there was $50 of amenities provided). https://www.malie.com/

Surf was up, so the water in the lagoon was murky. It was still safe to swim, though. We hung out at the quiet pool and had no problems finding lounge chairs in the afternoon or the next morning. I checked out after breakfast and was given a set of temporary keys to use to access the lagoon and spa facilities for lockers and showers. I was also advised that the parking card given to me would work until 11 p.m. which was nice. I just left our bags in the car while we hung out by the pool before heading back to town.

Overall, I was very impressed by the property. The grounds and facilities are well-kept and the staff are very friendly and I would certainly recommend it for a longer stay and for folks looking to spend a lot of time on the property and surrounding area. Most importantly, I was able to avoid any hard time share sell attempts during my time on the property.
innerspace likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 5, 2019 at 8:48 am
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Hello friends,
I'm looking for your advice. We never go to Hawaii at Christmas because of the prices and the crowds, but this year we decided to go as both of our kids' schools are closed. Since I knew prices would be crazy, I booked an AirBnB months ago. It was just cancelled, due to Bill 89 that was passed in June. Therefore, I'm trying to scramble to find an alternate plan without breaking the bank. I was thinking about this property, as my kids are 2 and 4 and it seems good for that age. We will be there for 7 nights. Is 7 nights too long at this property? I have a free night cert that I am using for one night, and I found the next two nights available on points. The last 4 nights are not available on points and some of the nights the cash prices are outrageous. Therefore, I was thinking about renting from AirBnB for the last 4 nights (my understanding is that resort areas are exempt from the Bill 89 restrictions, hence AirBnBs for this resorts are still available.) We would have to change rooms, but at least we won't have to pack up the car and move resorts. Typically, we like to venture out and go hiking, visit farmers markets, etc., and then come back and nap. After nap, we will head down to the pool/lagoon area and hang out there for a couple hours before dinner. In other words, we don't prefer to sit around the pool all day, we like to do other things too. We love Grand Hyatt Kauai and we did not like Hyatt Regency Maui.
Is this resort too isolated for us? Or, can we still venture out in the morning and then enjoy the resort features in the afternoons?
Thoughts?
Thanks so much!
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:54 am

We usually stay for 7 nights as that is the standard stay length for a timeshare owner, and it's not too long. It generally feels too short, so we are considering doing two weeks next time.

Going out and coming back will take a while, figure on an hour round trip at least. Going to Honolulu or Waikiki and back will probably take two hours round trip.

There is a lot to do at the resort as it is not just KOBC, there is Disney Aulani and a Four Seasons both within walking distance - I assume the little ones will be in a stroller. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the Four Seasons for grown-ups.

I don't usually do airbnb, so don't know anything about it, but I would think you should be able to rent nights on eBay, and it will likely be less expensive than through Marriott. WIth the Vacation Club points-based system, there are owners who will book rooms and rent them out via eBay.
jalves likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Can't comment about this property in particular, but we just spent 3 weeks at Aulani, which is a short walk away, and are familiar with the Island. As @AnalogMan stays above, gettin into Waikiki and back can be time consuming. However, if you were to go about 10am and plan to leave Waikiki about 2, you'll miss most of the bad traffic. Highly recommend a drive up to the north shore as well as a drive over to Kailua. Picturesque drives and interesting little places to stop.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Booked a night on Points Advance before they kill the feature completely, what can I expect for a staycation? Any recent experiences?
Old Aug 28, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
We just spent 5 nights at this property in a studio in the tower that hasn't been refreshed yet. We were there as part of a sales offer.

The room was fairly small and a little out of date but otherwise comfortable. We have two queen beds and have 2 kids: 9 and 11. I'd be lying if I didn't say it was tight. It was a this was a little too small for 5 nights.

However, I really loved the property itself. The lagoon/beach is fantastic. There were always lots of loungers available on the beach and the breakers made it very nice to be out there. My kids loved that and the pools. We also took a walk down the beach and did some snorkeling at Paradise Cove. Additionally, the grill setup is really nice and we bought kalbi ribs, poke and lots of other delicious food at Foodland Farms.

During the tour we saw a refreshed 2 bedroom unit that was quite a step up from what we had and while we didn't join the club, we did put $99 down on a future stay and plan to go back next summer.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 10:20 am

Ko Olina Room Category Possible Bait & Switch WWYD?

We recently made a reservation at the Marriott Ko Olina Vaction Club via Marriott.com. We booked an Ocean View 1 bedroom. We were surprised to get an e-mail just days before our arrival (and after the cancellation deadline) stating this:
"Preferences for room locations and assignments are prioritized to Marriott Vacation Club Owners. Requests for higher floors and prime views cannot be accommodated. Rental room locations are primarily assigned to lower floors, 1st through 4th floors in all building locations. Ocean View rental categories may be obstructed and afford limited water views and include courtyard or pool views. Mountain View rental categories may be obstructed and afford views of landscaping, courtyard, parking, and adjacent properties."
This was not disclosed at ANY POINT in the booking process and does not appear on any confirmations. I called the hotel & asked if this was a correct statement & I got the same "owners get the best rooms" answer. After looking deeper at reviews, this is a common problem for non-owners and rooms assigned have been at best "partial or obstructed ocean view" (and that's being generous) and on the first couple floors where noise from the pools is a big issue.

Should I be worried? I don't want to be a Karen, but I just think it's really shady to not tell guests ahead of time that they will be essentially second tier. Anyone have experience with this at Ko Olina?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.