Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Failed to cancel room in time ... need advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

I made a reservation that had to be cancelled 3 days in advance. That time has passed and an emergency has arisen where I cannot go. Is there any way for me to let a friend use the room since I will now be charged for it any way. I will not be able to show up at the hotel as it's 8 hours away. Thanks for any help.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Tinainfl
I made a reservation that had to be cancelled 3 days in advance. That time has passed and an emergency has arisen where I cannot go. Is there any way for me to let a friend use the room since I will now be charged for it any way. I will not be able to show up at the hotel as it's 8 hours away. Thanks for any help.
Just add your friend's name to the reservation and have him/her check-in. They probably won't even ask if yoou are coming later or not coming at all.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much

Will she need my credit card? Have no way of getting it to her at this point. Thanks again.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Tinainfl
Will she need my credit card? Have no way of getting it to her at this point. Thanks again.
She should be able to use her own credit card, as long as her name is in the reservation.

Have you tried calling the hotel and see if they would let you move the reservation to another day instead of flat-out cancelling it? Nothing to lose by calling them.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I'd try just calling and explaining you have an emergency. They may turn out to be understanding and kind.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I would agree with ussie44 - but generally is harder to get a property that requires 3 days notice to agree.

Do you have any status with Marriott? It does make a difference in these situations.

Nothing to stop you from trying, but if you are unsuccessful, then know that you can add someone's name to the reservation, and they will be able to pay using their own credit card.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all!

I have never cancelled a reservation late before, so I didn't even think to call. Called the Gold line & they very kindly cancelled the reservation due to the circumstances. Thanks so much for all of the help!
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The golden rules of avoiding speculation:

1. Call
2. Call, and
3. Call
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ussie44
I'd try just calling and explaining you have an emergency. They may turn out to be understanding and kind.
or allow the person to stay at a later date if they will be in that area in the future
Old Sep 14, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I have had this happen a couple of times. First time, I emailed the hotel and they said they would waive the cancellation fee; second time, I changed the arrival date to a week ahead and then cancelled it.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
I've had to cancel many time over my 25 plus years with Marriott and have never been charged.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
Originally Posted by Often1
The golden rules of avoiding speculation:

1. Call
2. Call, and
3. Call
Can anyone on here confirm?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 7:22 pm

Or cancel the nights in excess of 3 nights, if any, and cough up for the 1st/2nd night.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Hotels can be understanding if you have a good reason and ask nicely. I've had several waive cancellation fees when flights were missed/cancelled. Of course, several have declined to do so as well.

Glad it worked out for you, OP!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:37 pm

Marriott seems to be somewhat easier to work with than some of the other chains when it comes to these situations.

All chains may cancel (upon their discretion), but it is my opinion that Marriott
has a little more empathy than others.

Another great benefit of Marriott loyalty! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.