Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott let my guest spend my points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott let my guest spend my points

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Seriously? Marriott is not at fault and maybe BIL misunderstood? I'm not a subscriber to "Excuse Mongering" Thankfully he didn't decide to stay for a week.

Perhaps it is true, maybe my relatives are worse than the average... because this is EXACTLY what I would expect from any of my relatives.

1) I would call Marriott for an explanation. When that doesn't work, write them a letter.
2) Wait for hell to freeze over before you make a similar gesture.

"No good deed goes unpunished". "No act of kindness goes unresented"

Last edited by Snuggs; Sep 11, 2012 at 7:31 am
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
I could imagine that the staff would have thought that the actual person asking for the extended stay was the owner of the account. While this would normally be alright, I guess there is no alert when this is not the case. And, this is definitely a point worth mentioning to the Marriott in general, in order for them to improve their product.

As far as your brother-in-law, IMHO it was much more his fault more than the Marriott's. Inappropriate behaviour. Or maybe he thought you were all just one big happy family, sharing life's richnesses?? Well, now, definitely not anymore, I guess.

Good luck with resolving the issue....
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP thinks the BIL committed a fraud, report it to the police and let them pursue it. If he doesn't, move on and don't do this again.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dave-b
I recently used points to book a reservation for my wife's brother.
When a Flyertalk thread opens with this line, you know it's gonna be good!!

Definitely a lesson learned for you...hopefully you are successful shaking some form of compensation out of the deadbeat, but assuming his name was on the reservation I don't think the hotel did anything wrong.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Even if it were my own brother, or my husbands, I would be asking about what happened and tell them to pay for the last night. If that didn't happen, there would NEVER be another point used for that clown!

I would also call and remind Marriott that this transaction was not authorized, but that you are taking care of it on your end. Just to make sure it does not happen again.

However, if the hotel was under the assumption that the BIL was OP, then all bet are off. Live and learn.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: IHG About to Be Demoted, AA Demoted to Nothingness
Originally Posted by dave-b
I recently used points to book a reservation for my wife's brother. While at the hotel, he decided that he was having such a good time, he decided to stay an extra night.

Well, somehow he convinced the hotel staff to book the extra night using my points, without any authorization from me! I've been agonizing about calling to complain because don't want Marriott to bill his CC for the extra night which will cause a family fight. The points aren't worth that, but it bothers me that they would draw the points from my account without my authorization.

Any suggestions?
My impression of this is that you lost X points, so someone has X points worth of butt-chewing coming to them. Your desire seems to be to 1) direct that butt-chewing to Marriott, 2) to keep the discussion between you and them, and 3) to ensure Marriott doesn't bill the BIL and cause familial blowback to you. That's fair. A more formal version of "Hey, Marriott. I authorized a guest to stay two nights on my points, he stayed a third and you debited my points account without clearing it with me. Not cool." Then tell them what you want them to do to make it right and where you don't want it to go.

As for the familial politics, I don't think you were asking our suggestions on that piece. Good luck.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:28 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sendbillmoney
My impression of this is that you lost X points, so someone has X points worth of butt-chewing coming to them. Your desire seems to be to 1) direct that butt-chewing to Marriott, 2) to keep the discussion between you and them, and 3) to ensure Marriott doesn't bill the BIL and cause familial blowback to you. That's fair. A more formal version of "Hey, Marriott. I authorized a guest to stay two nights on my points, he stayed a third and you debited my points account without clearing it with me. Not cool." Then tell them what you want them to do to make it right and where you don't want it to go.

As for the familial politics, I don't think you were asking our suggestions on that piece. Good luck.
I agree that is the correct solution if the reservation was made in BIL's name.

If the reservation was made in OP's name with BIL added, I think Marriott is in the clear. They assumed you were staying in the room and fully aware that it was being extended an additional night. By the same token they assumed you were in the room and granted BIL your elite benefits... and this is an assumption that many FTers take FULL advantage of.

I think if you cause a big fuss about this and it becomes policy to demand to see the ID of the account holder when an additional guest checks in, it will be a net negative for elites who like to give rooms to friends and family. I'm sorry your BIL is a deadbeat, but don't upset the applecart for everyone.

If your name was on the reservation, asking BIL to replenish the replacement points on points.com is the appropriate solution. He should reimburse you for what he "borrowed" in excess of your gift to him.

Last edited by janetdoe; Sep 11, 2012 at 9:36 am
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Adding the guest's name to the reservation is exactly what the MR operators tell you to do when you call to make a rewards reservatin for someone else.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:47 am
kah

So, dave-b, what happened? Will you share with us "the rest of the story"? ... TIA!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:45 am

Thinking of the original posting, what is to prevent someone that knows you are staying on points walk up to the front desk on your last day and ask for an additional day? You would be completely unaware unless the front desk asked for ID.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would they do that? How woudl they get in your room to use the extra day? When you checked out wouldn't they know the truth?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 510k miles, DL 600,000 lifetime
Divorce. Get out of that family. Works for me.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Call the hotel billing department. Tell them there was a mistake and they should have charged the last night to the CC on file at check-in (BIL's). Woudn't they rather have cash than the points? Ask them to redeposit the points. Then act surprised when BIL yells about a charge to his card, with you saying "Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were planning to use my points without asking me. I assumed the hotel messed up."
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Call the hotel billing department. Tell them there was a mistake and they should have charged the last night to the CC on file at check-in (BIL's). Woudn't they rather have cash than the points? Ask them to redeposit the points. Then act surprised when BIL yells about a charge to his card, with you saying "Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you were planning to use my points without asking me. I assumed the hotel messed up."

+1^^
This is great! I love this one.

I think the OP must be feeling sorry for the dude since not wanting to have a chat with him, though this dude really deserves a lesson is showing a little respect.

Originally Posted by kah
So, dave-b, what happened? Will you share with us "the rest of the story"? ... TIA!

+1

I really hope the OP returns to tell us how this turned out.
Curious minds wanna know.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
#winning

And if they happen to charge rack rate... who are you to complain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.