Wiki Posts
Search

Interview Questions for Ed French

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JimBobDuggarIsABusyMan

Here are the questions I have come up with:

6. It’s good to see that Marriott has added suite upgrades as a benefit to Gold and Platinum members, although based on my experience this has been going on for a while. How come there are no confirmed suite upgrades, besides using points?
Only in Asia, why not the rest of the world!!!

7. Have you ever thought about adding points & cash awards, like for example, Starwood has?
They have just instituted a cash and points program but it is nothing like SPG's or Hilton's or Radisson's programs, respectively. Unlike these that offer a room for a discounted number of points and cash, Marriott simply alllows one to book a room for cash for one night and on another night for points = no change whatsovever from the present program! Question should be why scam the public by calling it cash and points, when it is nothing like those other programs!!! Read this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-now-live.html

8. It is good to see Marriott giving their elite members breakfast benefits when club lounges are not open on the weekends. But the terms and conditions state that resort properties do not have to honor this. What is your reason behind this?
Again, not accurate. Marriott had sent around a directive that comp breakfasts are not to be provided if the lounge is closed. A number of hotels have decided to ignore this and engender good will to their elite guests by extending this as a courtesy to those guests despite Ed French's directive. The question should really be one that asks isn't about time to reinstate this benefit when the lounge is closed, since Sheraton Clubs are now open 7 days a week, and Hilton always has extended this benefit to all its Gold and Diamond members, even at resorts!!!

10. Maybe this means I am picky, but Marriott seems very good at dealing with customer disputes and resolution. What is your secret?
Ask him how elite members now feel additionally scammed by Marriott Rewards after having been promised that Marriott Rewards would reinstate the Elite Exclusive Offers program that includes B1G1Free weekend nights certificates at certain hotels and instead, Marriott has actually recently closed down the thread for same on its Marriott Insiders web forum. They had promised that this program would be re-establsihed in some shape and form for over a year now, and that it would be brought back for our benefit but this is their response! Read this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...tificates.html

11. Are there any things you think the program could do to do improve itself?

See all of the above!

These are important questions Jim Bob! Thanks for letting us get through to the chief of the program.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Aug 28, 2012 at 1:26 pm
Old Aug 28, 2012, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dionnec123
With many Courtyards offering two meals a day, why can you not get points for incidental charges? This makes no sense. It is a win-win where guests are likely to use more of the on-site services if points were available for doing so.
I seriously doubt we're going to get brekkie at CYs, but I would like to know why incidental spends (whether it be internet, video on demand, Bistro food/drink) don't qualify for points.

Cheers.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
So did the interview happen?

Or did Mr. French, in typical fashion push you off to one of his assistants who danced around your questions and never provided any answers or relevant information.

Inquiring FT minds want to know. OP please provide an update.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OU812
Or did Mr. French, in typical fashion push you off to one of his assistants who danced around your questions and never provided any answers or relevant information.

Inquiring FT minds want to know. OP please provide an update.

Regards,

RIP...
I will be posting the interview shortly. While an assistant did help setup the call, it was Mr. French himself answering the questions. It will be a day or two before I can put the post together and accurately capture his responses.

And for the most part, I felt he was fairly direct. I was really blessed to have this opportunity to speak with him.

19 and Counting,
JBDIABM
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Marriott, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
And to his credit, he keeps up on things..... He knew about this thread, without ever mentioning that I would be soliciting questions on here.

He's good....

19 and Counting,
JBDIABM
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The removal of the American Airlines AAdvantage program from Marriott Rewards significantly reduces the value of Marriott travel package -- and thus of the Marriott Rewards program -- for hotel guests whose primary airline loyalty program is AAdvantage.

It would seem to be beneficial to these two leaders in business travel (and their mutual customers) to reestablish the relationship.

Is there any chance that whatever differences there were between Marriott and American can patched up?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
And to his credit, he keeps up on things..... He knew about this thread, without ever mentioning that I would be soliciting questions on here.

He's good....

19 and Counting,
JBDIABM
Of course he does - he probably have a team reading up the thread and do an exective summary to him - I don't mind that job
Old Aug 30, 2012, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite

He's good....

19 and Counting,
JBDIABM
he and many others are very active on FT (even if most don't post).....think of FT as a real world lab or customer study
Old Aug 30, 2012, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Horace
Is there any chance that whatever differences there were between Marriott and American can patched up?
let me start by saying this is my own personal opinion - I haven't heard from anyone on the inside on the reasons BUT I would suspect it comes down to what MI was welling to spend and what AA was willing to accept ($$$$)
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by socrates
let me start by saying this is my own personal opinion - I haven't heard from anyone on the inside on the reasons BUT I would suspect it comes down to what MI was welling to spend and what AA was willing to accept ($$$$)
It will change once US takes over AA.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I will be posting the interview shortly. While an assistant did help setup the call, it was Mr. French himself answering the questions. It will be a day or two before I can put the post together and accurately capture his responses.

And for the most part, I felt he was fairly direct. I was really blessed to have this opportunity to speak with him.

19 and Counting,
JBDIABM
Thanks - look forward to it!

Cheers.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I seriously doubt we're going to get brekkie at CYs.....
Why would you doubt free breakfast at CYs could become standard?

I stay at HGIs over one hundred nights each year largely BECAUSE of this benefit.

In addition, MR's policies that includes no free breakfast at resorts for Plats is costing Marriott tens of thousands of dollars in lost business from me since I'd rather use my points at Hilton vacation properties that do offer this benefit.

HULLO!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
you've got to be kidding! A Star Alliance member buying out a One World founder.........

Originally Posted by iztok
It will change once US takes over AA.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
+1

even though in Asia, most CYs already provide brekkie (and even exec lounges) even though they're not required to do so......., however since we're on this topic, add AC by Marriott to the list where brekkie should become a perk.....

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I seriously doubt we're going to get brekkie at CYs, but I would like to know why incidental spends (whether it be internet, video on demand, Bistro food/drink) don't qualify for points.

Cheers.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
you've got to be kidding! A Star Alliance member buying out a One World founder.........
You must be living under a rock.

And yes I believe that once US takes over AA MR connection will come back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.