Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Charleston, SC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2002, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold

There seem to be two options in the heart of downtown Charleston:
-Renaissance (Cat 5)
-Courtyard (Cat 4)

I need to reserve a stay during a blackout weekend, so it will cost 50% extra points. Anyone know these properties? Is the Renaissance worth approx 20K more points than the Courtyard?

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:06 am

I have not stayed at the Ren, but did stay at the Courtyard. The Ren is more in the heart of downtown Charleston and many of the sights, restaurants, shopping, etc. is within walking distance. It appeared nice from the outside, but I don't know about the rooms

The Courtyard (a better than average one I may add) isn't terribly far away, but you're going to need wheels and deal with parking.

If you're flying and want to avoid getting a car, the Ren might be worth it. Plus you could get upgraded.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 5:59 am

Renaissance Historic District vs Courtyard/Riverview in Charleston

Hi - we are 4 adults staying one night in Charleston. Strictly tourists. any info on which of these would have the best location for getting the most from our short stay? Also any comments on the differences of these two would be much appreciated. Thanks. Sue
Old Sep 8, 2003, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I have stayed at the Renaissance a few times, but not at the Courtyard. The Renaissance is in an excellent location-far superior to that of the Courtyard.

The Renaissance is a very nice property and is starting to have weekend occupancy and rates to match. Use the parking garage across the street and skip the valet parking ($$$).
Old Sep 10, 2003, 10:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BillMorrow:
I have stayed at the Renaissance a few times, but not at the Courtyard. The Renaissance is in an excellent location-far superior to that of the Courtyard.

The Renaissance is a very nice property and is starting to have weekend occupancy and rates to match. Use the parking garage across the street and skip the valet parking ($$$).
</font>

I just got back from the Renaissance. Very good location for walking the historic district. The Courtyard requires driving for everything.

Room was nice but small. Definitely park the car yourself.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT (1MM), MR Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Just bringing this thread forward, since I'm heading to CHS in a bit and would like any updated information on the Courtyard Charleston Downtown/Riverview. I'm sure that, collectively, we have new info to share since 2003!

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:14 pm

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
As the other poster suggested, the Renaissance is a much better location. It is within walking distance to many restaurants and tourist areas.

The Courtyard is not a good location for tourists.

Parking is tight in Charleston, and if you stay at the Courtyard you will be driving around looking for parking for much of your stay.

Enjoy your visit. Charleston is a great city.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:35 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
Originally Posted by BWI Flyer
I'm sure that, collectively, we have new info to share since 2003!
You're right.

Link to more recent post.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:04 am

Programs: DL,HH Gold,SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Omni SG
Bump. Has anyone stayed here over the last year? How about the Marriott post renovations?

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2007, 4:42 pm

I have stayed at all 3 properties in Charleston. The Renaissance is the best as mentioned due to the location. The renovated Marriott is okay but because it is such an old hotel it is not well insulated and the elevators are slow---you get the idea. The renovations were well done but there is only so much improvement that can be made to such an old building. And the Marriott is not within walking distance of the tourist areas. I actually prefer the Courtyard to the Marriott.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:26 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, USAir CP, Hilton Gold, Avis Pref Select
Best Marriott Property in Charleston, SC

We will be traveling to Charleston this weekend and would like to know what you
think about the selection.

Will only be staying one night and will most likely wind up downtown.

Thank you in advance,
Bill
Old Jun 27, 2008, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I think there is a Ren down there and that is the nicest one I've encountered. Have had nasty experiences with the RI outside of downtown...Mt. Pleasant I believe.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I think both FS (Ren and Mar) will do the trick for you and CY as well. My wife and I stayed years ago at Ren and loved it. Downtown is fairly small so you should be ok walking.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
As a resident of Charleston, I find the Ren to be just okay.....the thing with them is that they KNOW they will fill the place with tourists so they dont feel the need to keep up with appearances. I haven't tried the new Marriott but it is not as close to the historic district as the Ren is. It all depends on what your needs are. If you are not picky, sure, go for the Ren but the parking fee will be high. I hope you enjoy our fair city!
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:46 am
jaf

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), UAL (Premier Exec), SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Plat), Hertz (Prez)
what i usually do when i need to find their best property in a city is:

-go to tripadvisor.com, search for the city, then click on hotels. it ranks them according to popularity and then scroll thru till you see marriott
-or search on tripadvisor for marriott in that city, then compare the rankings
-go to marriott's hotel directory and get a list of the hotels, compare hotel levels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.