Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Charleston, SC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Charleston, SC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, USAir CP, Hilton Gold, Avis Pref Select
Thank You all

Thank you for your advise.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 1:54 am

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Getting in late on your request...but the Ren is far and away the best property in the city...particularly for the leisurely weekend
Old Jun 29, 2008, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
Another vote for the Renaissance Downtown.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by IrieDame
Another vote for the Renaissance Downtown.
Any chance of a reasonable upgrade or other benefit for a Gold? Is there a club lounge, is it open weekends, and would a gold have access?

Thanks,
Gary
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, AA Lifetime Gold, United Premier Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gleff
Any chance of a reasonable upgrade or other benefit for a Gold? Is there a club lounge, is it open weekends, and would a gold have access?

Thanks,
Gary
There is no club/conceirge lounge. They offer gold/plat breakfast in the restaurant which was very good IMHO. Great location...no car needed...walk to everywhere. Have the conceirge reserve a horse drawn carriage ride, that can pick you up at the front door...there really are no "view rooms"... We enjoyed our stay here!!!
Old May 16, 2009, 4:20 am

Charleston, SC -- Renaissance or FS Marriott

We will be in Charleston next weekend for Saturday and Sunday nights, and currently hold reservations at both. The nightly rate at the Ren is $75 over the FS property. Decision time is approaching. Would anyone who has been in CHS recently be able to recommend one over the other?

Also, will either offer comp. Plat breakfasts?

Any input will be appreciated.
Old May 16, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
I have been at both but not on the weekend so I do not know about the comped breakfast.

The Renassaince is a smaller hotel in a better location. It is within walking distance of shopping and some restaurants. You will have to pay for parking at the Rennassaince, and the parking garage is about a block away. Finding parking in Charleston is a problem, so if you stay at the FS Marriott, you park free overnight, but you will be paying for a garage the next day if you go anywhere in Charleston.

The FS Marriot is fine but not in a location where you can walk to any sites.

If I were visiting Charleston, I would stay in the Rennassaince to experience the city. It is not your typical Rennassaince and goes out of its way to create a Charleston experience.

Have fun. Charleston is a wonderful city to visit.
Old May 16, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
Yeah, the most important factor is that the Ren is in a prime location.

The parking garage is right across the street, and they have no lounge. IIRC, T&C require f/s non-resort properties with no lounge to comp b'fast during the week, but I've never been to this property on a weekend.
Old May 16, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
The Ren has the location.
Old May 17, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
I live here and you definitely will want the Ren if location is important to you. In fact, you would not need a car in Chas if all of your happenings are downtown. Save yourself the hassle of having to try and park in our city-it's a nightmare. We do have an Enterprise and a Budget rental car downtown too so just rent a car for the day if you want to see something outside the city.

I like the Marriott too, near our single A baseball team stadium and it is right along the Ashley river so you get some good breezes. They have a great rooftop bar that I tend to go chill out during Happy Hour. Hope you enjoy our city!

edited to add: From what I hear, the Marriott will comp breakfast but don't think the Ren would. Honestly, do not eat in the hotel for breakfast-we have too many wonderful restaurants that'll serve you well
Old May 17, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I'm just back from a stay at the Marriott and have stayed at the Ren several times in the past.

As others have mentioned, the Ren is much better located for walking around downtown Charleston. The Marriott has a shuttle to downtown that runs about every 30 minutes and drops you off by waterfront park on Queen St(Vendue?). Call for return trip and they will pick you up from anyplace downtown. Cost for the shuttle is $6 pp/day.

As USFreak noted, the Marriott has a very nice outside bar with views of the Ashley River. Probably one of the best outside bars in Charleston. The Ren doesn't have anything similar, but if you are in a byob mode, you could have your drinks on the pool deck(BTDT) to catch a nice evening breeze.

While the Ren has location, the Marriott has a concierge lounge, free parking and much better service. The service is what brought me back. The folks at the Marriott have always gone out of their way to help me.
Old May 27, 2009, 7:28 pm

Brief Report

The Ren proved to be the place to stay, if only for the parking and the great location. The self-park was $12.00 nightly, with unlimited "ins & outs", not that we used the car that much.

We struck out in our attempt to get a comp breakfast on Sunday. In fact part of the front desk supervisor's welcome was to state, without being asked that they did not offer Plat's breakfast on Saturday or Sunday.

We were upgraded to a suite on the 6th (top) floor without asking, which was appreciated.

Amenities were sparse; two ten ounce bottles of water for the entire stay. Only two sets of towels in the room.

All in all, a decent stay at a reasonable price.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old May 27, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
My standard response when they tell me that CL in FS or REN is closed is a question: "Can you at least provide me with a decent number of bottles of water?"

They usually have no problems with that and I end up with enough water to last me couple of days (my usual max stay).

I just don't like paying $8 for 1L water bottle (Voss).
Old May 3, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Charleston, SC recommendation?

Looks like a Ren and Courtyard in the historic district. Is the Ren a MUST STAY or is the Courtyard a good property? I want to be in the historic distric but don't really want/need full-service unless the Ren property is that much better.

Any opinions?
Old May 3, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
If you are looking to stay in the historic district, you will want to stay at the Rennaissance. It is within walking distance of the market and of numerous shops and restaurants. If you want to experience any of Charleston's charm, you will want to stay there.

The Courtyard is a nice hotel but is a bit remote. It is near the historic district, but it is certainly not within walking distance of restaurants or shops.

There is a Marriott in Charleston as well, and is a nice hotel, but once again is not in the historic district.

I have stayed in all three and I usually stay in the Marriott or the Courtyard. Both are good hotels and serve my purposes. If I were a tourist and wanting to see Charleston for a weekend or a short visit, I would choose the Rennaissance without hesitation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.