Search

sales call from Marriott?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2002, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN Platinum
sales call from Marriott?

I got a mysterious message at my unlisted home number from someone who claims to be from the Marriott Reservations center. I called back at 800-235-6618, and was unable to speak with that person. I spoke to the operator and found out that they sometimes do time share sales calls from that reservations center, so I assume it was a sales call.

The strange thing is I have never given my home number to Marriott, only my office voicemail. Anyway, I told the operator to put me on the do not call list.

Marriott does not make me happy with tactics like this.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 7:36 am

Approximately a week ago, I received a call at home at 8:55 p.m. from someone who clearly identified themselves as calling from Marriott Vacation Clubs. He pitched me on a steeply discounted trip to a Marriott Vacation Club (Timeshare) in Orlando, specifically the Horizons property.

Despite my annoyance with the sales call so late in the evening, I was slightly interested, so I listened to his pitch and at the vey end he asked me for my credit card number to "lock in" the discounted rate that can be used at any time for up to 9 months or a year (can't remember the exact length of time). Well, the sirens immediately went off in my head and I asked him for the specific URL on their website so I can check it out for myself and he also gave me his phone number and extension.

The point is: 1. the call was late in the evening and 2. they should not ask for my credit card number to "lock-in" the rate.

Snowcap
Old Dec 6, 2002, 12:21 pm

I have received this solicitation and believe it to be legit. Back in 2001 I received a Marriott Vacation Club Hawaii offer via snail mail that appeared partnered with AAdvantage (It offered AA miles). Quite some time had passed and I decided to finally take advantage of the offer in early 2002. I booked my Hawaii trip for 2003.

About 2 months ago I received the Orlando offer via phone solicitation. I decided to take advantage of that also. I gave all my info and thought I "locked in" the price.

The next week I get the same solicitation and I inform them that I already booked it. It turns out that my Orlando "lock in" purchase was rejected because I have a pending Marriott Vacation Club offer in Hawaii.

The system was rejecting my Orlando purchase and was putting my name back in the solicitation pool even though I was not eligible for the new offer due to my pending Hawaii vacation under a similar promotion.

Although my orignal Hawaii trip is not completed yet I have confirmed the reservation at Marriott. These were two separate marketing campaigns that fell under the same Marriott Vacation Club umbrella. It became clear that the Orlando offer was legit when it was rejected due to my pending Hawaii offer.

Mike M

BTW - I think the name of the agent who solicted me for Orlando was Adam.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 9:14 pm

Here is the link for Marriott/AA offer

http://www.vacationclub.com/getawaynow/aa/
Old Dec 7, 2002, 10:41 am

I wonder why the AA deal I pull up on the above link for Orlando is providing accomodations at non-Marriott properties??
Old Dec 7, 2002, 5:54 pm
TUFBEAR

After numerous (almost weekly) unsolicited calls from Marriott Vacations a few years ago, I ended it.
I called MP and told them with over 100 nights at Marriotts every year, why in he!! would I want to be answering the phone on the nights I'm @ my home and hastled into buying a stupid "TIME SHARE".
I informed them if I received one more call from "anyone" at Marriott , especially during dinner, at my home, or if I was approached while checking into their hotels, I would never stay there again.
That was the end of it!!!

Old Dec 10, 2002, 7:48 am

Well, I received a follow-up phone call at 8:30 p.m. last Friday (12/6) from Kurt, the same individual who solicited me a few days prior. I finally told him that I am not interested and hung up.

I guess I learned my lesson that you have to be very up-front with these folks or they simply just keep calling.

Snowcap
Old Dec 10, 2002, 9:59 am
TUFBEAR

Sorry to break the news to you SNOWCAP, but
it ain't over yet! Nope, not by a long shot!!
You can't get rid of them that easily.
"You'll see"!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.