FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Moscow hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/137727-moscow-hotels.html)

uschpr Jul 3, 2002 8:05 am

Moscow hotels

Sorry if this has been asked before... just did a search for Russia and Moscow in the Marriott thread and didn't find anything

but I was wondering if anyone had a preference for a Marriott in Moscow? The Moscow Grand, I heard, is spectacular but the website lists the Moscow Royal as the newest property. Don't know anything about the Marriott Tverskaya or the Renaissance.

Thanks for your input!

I miss CDN Jul 3, 2002 9:22 am

I have stayed at both the Grand and the Royal. Both are very fine hotels. The Grand is the larger of the two. The Royal is closer to the Bolshoi and Kremlin/Red Square. Deciding factor for me would likely be price as you will get superior service at both.

------------------
I miss Canadian Airlines

Eugene Jul 3, 2002 9:54 am

I'd advise against the Renaissance. It's a much older property, in much less desirable location compared to any of the Marriotts.

JayJ Jul 4, 2002 11:48 am

I have stayed at all 4 properties. The closer you are to Red Square the more you are going to pay.

I prefer the Tverskaya. It is a couple of Metro stop farther out then the Grand but still a safe and comfortable hotel.

The Grand is a nice looking hotel, the rooms are not any thing more than the Tverskaya. This hotel again is on the Metro line.

The Royal, as noted is behind the Bolshoi and within walking distance of Red Square. It is a nice hotel if you have to be near the Kremlin.

The Renaissance is next to Olympic Stadium. It is out of the way and you have to walk about 5 blocks to get to a Metro station.

All of these hotels are safe and up to western standards. All hotels have english speaking staff.

The Marriott hotels are owned by the same Russian group. Each hotel has a different ethnic type of resturant. Tverskaya-Italian, Grand-Russian, and Royal-Don't Remember. The deal they use to have (for a party of 4 or more)was you could make a reservation to any of the resturants and the hotel would provide transportation to and from your hotel to the resturant.

edsh Jul 4, 2002 12:12 pm

I have stayed at the Grand and the Royal. In my opinion, the Grand felt more like a business hotel with a large open lobby, nondescript but business friendly rooms, and a busy efficient cafe (great breakfast buffet). The Royal seemed more luxurious, the rooms better decorated with warmer colors and better furniture and the cafe was quieter (I think they had harpist or pianist playing during dinner). Being on Tverskya, the Grand may cut a few minutes off travel if you have office appointments. It seemed, the closer you get to Red Square the more congested the traffic.