Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

15000 points for time share presentation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2002, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

We used a 713 hotel award in Hawaii. Was offered 15000 points to listen to the timeshare presentation. Of course we couldn't resist those points!!! But the timeshare?? Why would anyone get involved? What opinions can flyertalkers offer? I think it is so much easier to get points the oldfashioned way and not be bothered with trading timeshares for other TS or for points. The measly 85000 points they offer (110000 for buying the oceanview premium suite) won't get you 7 quality nights at a Marriott. My opinion- this is aa incredible deal for Marriott, not the frequent traveler.
Old May 9, 2002, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IncredibleDeals:
We used a 713 hotel award in Hawaii. Was offered 15000 points to listen to the timeshare presentation. Of course we couldn't resist those points!!! But the timeshare?? Why would anyone get involved? What opinions can flyertalkers offer? I think it is so much easier to get points the oldfashioned way and not be bothered with trading timeshares for other TS or for points. The measly 85000 points they offer (110000 for buying the oceanview premium suite) won't get you 7 quality nights at a Marriott. My opinion- this is aa incredible deal for Marriott, not the frequent traveler.</font>
Some people swear by the TS concept. They are able to trade it for vacations at any Marriott TS resort. My opinion on the fly is that you are probably better off paying $$ for what you want when you want it.

Old May 9, 2002, 4:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I am *not* saying this applies to everyone. But, for the purpose of apples to apples, assume that what you "require" on your vacation is a 1 bedroom suite (sometimes we get 2 bedrooms, but always 1) with a full kitchen. What will that cost you in a decent hotel? What will that cost you in a house rental?

Because we got a nice unit, at a nice Marriott, we get 2 weeks a year (but only own 1). Annual cost, including the value of the initial investment at 5% interest, the trading fees, the maintenance fees and the property tax, is under $1,500.
Old May 9, 2002, 5:07 pm

Timeshares are essentially a pre-paid vacation for the rest of your life. If you aren't looking at it as a way to get stays at Marriott Resorts or Hotels, and as a way of getting a one or two bedroom condo for a week at a time, it might become more clear to you.

Old May 14, 2002, 11:24 am

Location: Towson, MD USA - SPG plat, HH Diamond, AA Plat, Hertz Gold, MR Silver
Time Shares are just about the worst investment one can make. It would be a different story if there weren't yearly fees after a large down payment. Ask your financial advisor about it, they will tell you the same. Why do you think Time Shares spend so much effort and gifts to just get you in the door? It is a HUGE profit for the hotels.
Old May 14, 2002, 4:07 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Well I think this topic could be debated forever,since it is a topic either for or against.I think everyone has different needs. TS meet some peoples needs and not others. I own 5 weeks at the Marriott in Maui,and it works for me for the following reasons.
I travel at my own expence so I don't get to accumate points throughout the year on a company's expence and then enjoy a trip with those points.
I have locked in 35 nights a year for the rest of my life in a place I enjoy going.No need to worry about room rates in the future.
I enjoy the tax benifits I get as a second home mortgage.
I enjoy checking out now after a month and not looking at a 10-12 thousand dollar room bill.
I do spend about 50-60 other nights on paid stays or using points so this is just another way to stretch a rooms budget.
If I only traveled a few weeks a year I would not think a time share would be all that important.
I just got tired of the constant room rate increase in Hawaii every year.
Old May 14, 2002, 5:54 pm

Timeshares are not an investment. Never for a second think otherwise. They are a quality of life decision that you pay for.

You pay an up front cost, get a deed that you can't sell and pay a maintenance fee annually for the rest of your life to be able to spend 7 days in a location of your choice each year.

I bought a timeshare that I am quite happy with; and look at it as a forced vacation with my family every year for the rest of my life. An investment of monetary value it is not; an investment of time and fun with my family, it definitely is.

That, and Elite Status for life isn't a bad perk either.
Old May 17, 2002, 10:49 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
What lifetime elite status do they give you for a timeshare purchase?
Old May 17, 2002, 11:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BobboSanDiego:
Time Shares are just about the worst investment one can make. </font>
NickyD’s response is correct. Timeshares should not be viewed as an investment in real estate, but an investment in a lifestyle.

Still, one who is interested in the timeshare concept should
  • Learn about the concept, the advantages, the pitfalls and how to make the best economic decisions. An excellent place to start is at Timeshare Users Group, especially the bulletin boards and Timesharing 101 in the Advice section.
  • Never, never buy at a timeshare presentation without going home to digest the offer, no matter how tantalizing the "today only" incentives seem. The offer will almost certainly be available later.
  • If at all possible, buy your week as a resale, not from the developer. The resale cost – for the same product – is often half or less what the developer will charge.
  • When buying, never rely on any verbal promises made by the salesperson. If you buy, a clause in the contract specifies that you are not relying on any promises or other statements except for those contained in the sales agreement. If you think you might buy, keep careful notes of promises made by the salesperson during the presentation. Then at the conclusion, ask for everything on your list to be reduced to writing and included in the contract. You'll quickly find out how little most of the promises mean. Marriott doesn't get carried away in making empty promises as much as many other timeshare developers do, but you still need to protect yourself. Any salesperson might make statements that differ from the facts or that you hear differently from the intent.
  • Recognize that if you buy at a lower resale price rather than from the developer, it is more likely that you could recover most or all of your purchase price if you later decide to sell.

I have owned a couple of Marriott timeshares for about six years and they are the best “lifestyle” purchases I have ever made. But they are not for everyone.
  • If you buy a “floating week” (a week of time within a season for which you must make a reservation each year), you must be able to plan your vacation a full year in advance to ensure the vacation week of your choice. And if you wish to exchange your week for a week at another top resort, you need to plan many months, often a year or more, in advance.
  • Similarly, if you often find your vacation plans changing because of business or family responsibilities, timesharing might not be for you.
  • If you are happy with a basic hotel room, there is no need to spend the extra money for the often luxurious and spacious accommodations associated with some timeshare properties, including most Marriott timeshares.

I look at my timeshares as my second home(s), with some differences. Less costly to purchase than a second home. Less costly to maintain. More flexible, because I can use it in different resorts around the world each year. More practical, because I wouldn’t use a second home more than a few weeks each year anyway. Almost certainly not as good from a financial investment standpoint.

[This message has been edited by Dave M (edited 05-17-2002).]
Old May 17, 2002, 11:45 am

Wilma -

My purchase materials for one of my timeshare weeks specify Silver (big deal!) status as long as I own the week. There is some uncertainty as to whether Marriott is still making that offer in connection with purchases.
Old May 17, 2002, 12:34 pm

My timeshare was at a property owned by a different hotel chain...I won't go in detail here, but if you really want to know, please email me.

Honestly, I love staying in hotels. The only reason I bought a timeshare was so that it forced me to spend at least a week a year on vacation with my family. That, and having a kitchen in some place I'm on vacation is a much needed amenity travelling with a 2 year old.
Old May 17, 2002, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave M:
Wilma -

My purchase materials for one of my timeshare weeks specify Silver (big deal!) status as long as I own the week. There is some uncertainty as to whether Marriott is still making that offer in connection with purchases.
</font>
New owners are NOT given elite status
Old May 17, 2002, 3:08 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I love going to TS presentations, although the wife hates it. So far we've been to TS visits in Puerto Vallarta, Aruba, Hilton Head, Las Vegas, Lake Buena Vista (Orlando) (twice), Myrtle Beach, San Juan, Maui and Kauai. At least one every year the past ten years...it keeps the overall vacation costs low. When the agent brings out that notepad and asks what I spend a week on vacation, I don't have the heart to tell them the truth. Sooner or later I will be on the banned list. BTW, if a TS purchase is of interest for you, I hear of really good resale deals via ebay.
Old May 17, 2002, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
When I went to the TS presentation at the Ihilani, I was given some freebies (a car, etc) but no points -- would have much rather received the points.

So here's my question... how can I find out about other TS presentations? I'd do 'em frequently -- 90 minutes in exchange for 15k points is worth it, in my book, as long as I've got spare time. Is there any way to find out where the presentations are, so I can try to arrange attendance in conjunction with my business travel?
Old May 19, 2002, 12:12 am

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
Beware: you may have to fight hard to get the 15,000 points. I went to a presentation in Orlando in February, and just got the points to post last week after many letters, emails, and phone calls.

As for whether or not a timeshare is a strong financial play: I think it depends on whether or not you really would visit the location on an annual basis or not. If you get into a lot of trading, it seems like you lose some of the bang for your buck. My financial advisor strongly STRONGLY advised against getting a timeshare, saying that the equivalent expenditure into a relatively conservative "vacation portfolio" would put me ahead for the rest of my life. However, if I had a nice timeshare option near home (for me, the Ozarks perhaps), I might think about it for the sake of convenience. That is, as long as it wasn't THAT bad of an investment. (You guys are right: you have to do it for the enjoyment, not the investment, but it has to make SOME financial sense, right?)

The other extremely important tip I've been told about timeshares is that you have to make the decision to purchase on your own terms, in your own home. NEVER decide to buy a timeshare while you are on vacation or while you are visiting the property. Go home to your normal life, forget about it for two weeks, then sit down after dinner one night and run the numbers. Make your decision in your normal mindset, not while sipping pina coladas in the tropical locale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.