Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

They Read Those Surveys We Fill Out

Old May 9, 2002, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold

I recently stayed at the Residence Inn at Hartford Airport.

The room smelled, the mattress was lumpy and needed to be replaced, the counter wasn't set up with dishes and glasses as they usually are...not major complaints, but when i received a comment survey in the mail, I indicated how unhappy i was with the room.

I mailed the survey form in 2 weeks ago.

Today i came home to a voice mail message from the GM of the hotel wanting to know how they can improve the hotel, because they received a copy of the form I sent with all the low scores.

It was good to finally know that someone reads all those forms with the little boxes that you fill in.

I thought they simply tabulated the scores and that was the end of it, and so i never have paid much attention to those mailed, follow-up forms that come from HDQ
Old May 9, 2002, 6:27 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Supposedly the CEO of Marriott spends an hour per week reading those things ... yes, Marriott does not just send them out for the heck of it!
Old May 9, 2002, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:
Supposedly the CEO of Marriott spends an hour per week reading those things ... yes, Marriott does not just send them out for the heck of it!</font>
I received a "thank you" letter from the manager of one Marriott property I stayed at several years ago (can't remember which one). I must have been effusive in my praise of her hotel, because she was most appreciative. I presume she and her staff were commended after Marriott HQ read my comments.

IMO, this is a wise business practice on Marriott's part.
Old May 9, 2002, 12:53 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
It would be nice if they would throw us a few points for the effort.
Old May 9, 2002, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Memphis Marriott, I stayed there in February and was not a very happy camper when I left so I filled out the form and stated each issue that was bothering me and checked that I would not return to this hotel. I didnt think anything of it. About a month later I get a call from someone at the hotel offering me a free night and apologizing for me inconvenience. that more than worked for me, I'm not sure I'll go back (not b/c of the experience, but b/c I don't think I'll have reason to return to MEM) but I am still impressed that they read the form and took the time to call me.

[This message has been edited by TrojanHorse (edited 05-09-2002).]
Old May 12, 2002, 2:36 pm

I filled out one of those surveys a few years ago complaining of the frowziness of the Houston Aiport Marriott and got a letter back AGREEING with me and informing me that they were about to begin renovations. The obvious question was why they let things get so bad in the first place, but I never bothered to write back. No free cert or anything.
Old May 12, 2002, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DADISGARYK:
I recently stayed at the Residence Inn at Hartford Airport.

The room smelled, the mattress was lumpy and needed to be replaced, the counter wasn't set up with dishes and glasses as they usually are...not major complaints, but when i received a comment survey in the mail, I indicated how unhappy i was with the room.

I mailed the survey form in 2 weeks ago.

Today i came home to a voice mail message from the GM of the hotel wanting to know how they can improve the hotel, because they received a copy of the form I sent with all the low scores.

It was good to finally know that someone reads all those forms with the little boxes that you fill in.

I thought they simply tabulated the scores and that was the end of it, and so i never have paid much attention to those mailed, follow-up forms that come from HDQ
</font>

Yes these forms are read...just some background on how they are used:

Hotels are rated internally based on these survey's...and a hotel (managed or franchised...doesn't matter) below par could loose their flag; most managers bonuses are tied into these scores as well (I've seen GM's loose their jobs over low scores)

The survey's really are a big deal to Marriott
Old May 12, 2002, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Socrates,

So it sounds like it pays to fill those out whether you liked your stay or not.. what do you say when you have just a so so stay, nothing bad happened that you care to complain about, but also nothing that you shouldn't expect either??? Does this go for all the hotels in the Marriott chain? I.e. FI, RI, etc
Old May 13, 2002, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrojanHorse:
Socrates,

So it sounds like it pays to fill those out whether you liked your stay or not.. what do you say when you have just a so so stay, nothing bad happened that you care to complain about, but also nothing that you shouldn't expect either??? Does this go for all the hotels in the Marriott chain? I.e. FI, RI, etc
</font>
We'd prefer you to fill one out as often as possible, however we also know it isn't reasonable to expect this either. If you do have time to fill it out, please do so....also please make sure you will out the "additional comments" section and explain what was lacking with your stay as well as what was exceptional.

Opps forgot to add, this does apply to all brands (Ritz-Carlton included)

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited 05-13-2002).]
Old May 13, 2002, 10:59 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
OK.. when I made it to Silver and Gold, I would keep getting those surveys to fill out in the mail. Ever since I made Platinum they stopped coming. I think as Platinum I would take more interest in filling out the surveys as opposed to when I was a lowly Silver (I was staying with Starwood for the most part then).
Old May 13, 2002, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zakami:
OK.. when I made it to Silver and Gold, I would keep getting those surveys to fill out in the mail. Ever since I made Platinum they stopped coming. I think as Platinum I would take more interest in filling out the surveys as opposed to when I was a lowly Silver (I was staying with Starwood for the most part then).</font>

They use to be randomly mailed in continental US only...all other locations had housekeeping place them in the room...after 9/11 they stopped the mailings, now all locations are to have them placed in the guest room (I believe Fairfield Inn's still have the stupid computer at the front desk for guests to take the survey on...not sure but I believe all other brands have it as I mentioned)
Old May 13, 2002, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
Actually, socrates and zakami, i am platinum and I have begun getting them in the mail again.
Old May 14, 2002, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DADISGARYK:
Actually, socrates and zakami, i am platinum and I have begun getting them in the mail again.</font>
Hmm...they weren't suppose to start until later this year...guess plans have changed (personally I trust the mailed surveys much more)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.